How do you "dust" your feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCuratola

Hatchling Member
I am looking for a specific way to do it effectively because i usually suck at it so i was wondering how you all do it.

mikewithsfi

Hatchling Member
I usually put the feeders in a ziplock bag, throw some dust in the bag, seal and easily shake, roll the bag around, flip it upside, etc etc.. this works best for me..

JCuratola

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mikewithsfi":2shh8pkk said:
I usually put the feeders in a ziplock bag, throw some dust in the bag, seal and easily shake, roll the bag around, flip it upside, etc etc.. this works best for me..

Tried doing that today with phoenix worms and it took forever idk maybe its just me being lazy.

Toasty

JCuratola":1i47ck1h said:
mikewithsfi":1i47ck1h said:

Tried doing that today with phoenix worms and it took forever idk maybe its just me being lazy.

How were you doing it before? I use a ziplock or any plastic bag, put in the needed amount of whatever feeders I'm using for that meal (dubia, lats, lobster roaches, crickets, etc.), drop in a pinch of powder supplement (calcium or vitamin/mineral), shake the bag a little, then dump them into the bin I use for feeding. I usually just have a couple of ziplock bags close the the my feeder colony bins that I keep re-using and the whole process takes less than a minute. This is the way I've dusted feeder insects for ten years, I always that that was pretty much how everyone did it since I've never heard of any other method thats as effective and easy.

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
Were you dusting the phoenix worms with calcium? They only need the twice a week multivitamin, you can over do calcium and those particular worms don't need any extra.

I just get some in my fingers and sprinkle them over my worms.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
As previous poster said, I wouldn't dust PW's.

I also use a ziploc baggie full of calcium (or multivitamin) powder and then add in the crickets and shake the bag. Then I open the bag and let the crickets crawl out on there own. I have been feeding in a different tank lately because it does make a mess, but I just shake out the carpet when he is done. Once we get the new tank built though, we are going with tile so it should be easier clean up, I hope!

I did see something at PetSmart that is a container that you put the dust and crickets into and then the dust sifts through to the bottom or something like that. I've never used it though so i can't say how great it works. Here is a link...

www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754051

~Jill

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
I have an old superworm container. In goes the crickets and dust and I sprinkle it all out in the feeder tank. Usually I am pretty good to not have any excess.

Hello! When i first got my baby I was going to get a shaker cup (They sell them at petsmart, petco etc.) however I was turned off by the price so i went around my house and found a plastic pitcher. I use crickets so i dump them in the pitcher then shake the suplement in the pitcher, thereafter, I swoosh the pitcher counterclockwise until they are covered. I dont even have to cover the pitcher since it is tall (The size of a 2L bottle) and the crickets wont escape. They also wont die since i am gently swooshing the pitcher not vigoruosly shaking it. It works without a hitch here. Good Luck!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I have an empty parmesan cheese container...the top has 2 sides, a wide side and a shaker side. On the shaker side I put a fine mesh and glued it in and left the wide part open. Then I put my crickets in the bottle and a pinch of calcium or vitamins. Lay the bottle on its side and roll it and shake till the crickets are coated. Open the side where the shaker holes are and shake out the excess calcium or vitamins, close it up then open the wide side and shake the crickets out. Works like a charm and is reusable, can be washed out and easy to store between feedings. Saves on using plastic bags.

Slippers

Tonja":2g3ki83b said:
I have an empty parmesan cheese container...the top has 2 sides, a wide side and a shaker side. On the shaker side I put a fine mesh and glued it in and left the wide part open. Then I put my crickets in the bottle and a pinch of calcium or vitamins. Lay the bottle on its side and roll it and shake till the crickets are coated. Open the side where the shaker holes are and shake out the excess calcium or vitamins, close it up then open the wide side and shake the crickets out. Works like a charm and is reusable, can be washed out and easy to store between feedings. Saves on using plastic bags.

This is exactly what I do. My 11 year old feeds her crickets while I am at work at this works like a charm for him.
Here is a link with pictures from the archive section. http://www.beardeddragon.org/archives/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=98719

Tonja

BD.org Addict
It was you that I got the idea from then. I will give credit where credit is due...Ive used it since ive seen your thread and love it. Thank you for posting so I could give you the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom