How much do you dust?

Shard

Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
I have a feeling I might've been overdusting Xion's dubias.
I realized this when I looked into orange poop since...to be honest, it started to look like mussels
1705274162449.jpeg

I didn't think much of how to dust them since for ease I'd just toss them into a container I put a bit of powder into and shook em up til they looked like christmas

Any suggestions for how "dusty" they should look and how many should be dusted a day? Images encouraged!

I'm going to lay off the supplements for a couple days and see if things improve before trying out the suggestions. It turns out her digestive issues could've been from calcium overdose...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a feeling I might've been overdusting Xion's dubias.
I realized this when I looked into orange poop since...to be honest, it started to look like mussels
View attachment 86685
I didn't think much of how to dust them since for ease I'd just toss them into a container I put a bit of powder into and shook em up til they looked like christmas

Any suggestions for how "dusty" they should look and how many should be dusted a day? Images encouraged!

I'm going to lay off the supplements for a couple days and see if things improve before trying out the suggestions. It turns out her digestive issues could've been from calcium overdose...
Lightly coated insects you dont want them to look like a powder donut---- how old is the dragon -- the insects should be coated ONCE per feeding --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Multivitamins should only be given a couple times oer week, some of it can become toxic if over fed

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
Lightly coated insects you dont want them to look like a powder donut---- how old is the dragon -- the insects should be coated ONCE per feeding --
It's hard to know her exact age as she was a rescue, but at around 13 inches I'd guess 6-8 months. I've been giving her half inch dubias, not sure how many she should be having a day or how many should be dusted since guides vary a lot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's hard to know her exact age as she was a rescue, but at around 13 inches I'd guess 6-8 months. I've been giving her half inch dubias, not sure how many she should be having a day or how many should be dusted since guides vary a lot
5 x per week for calcium D3 lightly coated on the insects ONCE per feeding-- vitamins 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- dont feed any supplements until the poop comes out looking like dark formed and moist and the urate white formed and moist-- feed as many as she will eat -- is she eating salads getting any kind of worms?

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
5 x per week for calcium D3 lightly coated on the insects ONCE per feeding-- vitamins 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated --- dont feed any supplements until the poop comes out looking like dark formed and moist and the urate white formed and moist-- feed as many as she will eat -- is she eating salads getting any kind of worms?
I give her collard greens and escarole daily, and every few days I'll add a bit of something else like peeled apple or bell pepper. Sadly the superworms I got as an extra in an order are much longer than her head.

She's a very good eater, but maybe too ravenous? When I first got her she'd get pinheads, but she'd be able to down a whole bag of them in one sitting. She's never actually refused food, and even tries to eat my fingers (I can tell it's not aggression because she's sticking her tongue out all the way to try to get them, like catching bugs)

My concern is when she started getting a gut that'd almost touch the floor, though this was also when her poop was at its worst (I'm so glad it doesn't smell as bad anymore), so I have no clue if it was due to her not digesting properly. Other locations indicating fat (head pads & armpits) remained lean.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I give her collard greens and escarole daily, and every few days I'll add a bit of something else like peeled apple or bell pepper. Sadly the superworms I got as an extra in an order are much longer than her head.

She's a very good eater, but maybe too ravenous? When I first got her she'd get pinheads, but she'd be able to down a whole bag of them in one sitting. She's never actually refused food, and even tries to eat my fingers (I can tell it's not aggression because she's sticking her tongue out all the way to try to get them, like catching bugs)

My concern is when she started getting a gut that'd almost touch the floor, though this was also when her poop was at its worst (I'm so glad it doesn't smell as bad anymore), so I have no clue if it was due to her not digesting properly. Other locations indicating fat (head pads & armpits) remained lean.
She should be able to eat large super worms horn worms etc- smelly poops real bad can be a sign of parasites- you might want to take a fecal in for testing- NO ENEMAS!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Definitely keep the vitamins to just 1-2 times weekly. Which brand of vitamins do you use, does
it have beta carotene or vitamin A in it?
How large are the superworms, do you have a picture of them you could show? The worm itself
doesn't necessarily have to be smaller than the space between the eyes but shouldn't be overly
large.
As Karrie suggested, you can consider getting a fecal done to be sure there aren't high levels of
worms or parasites present.

Tracie

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Definitely keep the vitamins to just 1-2 times weekly. Which brand of vitamins do you use, does
it have beta carotene or vitamin A in it?
How large are the superworms, do you have a picture of them you could show? The worm itself
doesn't necessarily have to be smaller than the space between the eyes but shouldn't be overly
large.
As Karrie suggested, you can consider getting a fecal done to be sure there aren't high levels of
worms or parasites present.

Tracie

She's a bit irritable today since she's about to shed, and she hasn't pooped since the thread was made so no clue on that front yet (I imagine it would take a couple poops to see progress anyway)

I was using Rep-Cal calcium with D3 and herptivite with beta carotene (no vitamin A)
For the first few months there were no issues. I recently got Zoomed repti-calcium without D3 since I've been told that her main calcium shouldn't have D3. This was purchased after the poop problems started.

Here's one of the worms:
1705443631029.jpg

Edit: I just had a realization while making tea, ever since we moved the kettle has a layer of calcium buildup at the bottom due to the water here. Could this also contribute to the problem?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom