Brumation?

Kristjan

Hello everyone,
Rio, my beardie is 14th months old now. He´s been brumating for almost 4 months now as of today!

I´m wondering:
1. Is this normal?
2. How do I know if he´s out of brumation? Because, he´s been going in and out of it for quite a while....
3. Any specific recommendations in terms of how to stimulate him to get back to his norm?

Thank you in advance :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As long as all the specs are good and he's healthy there should be no problem with that behavior but it's always good to post pics of your set up and your dragon. What type + how old are your heat bulb, your uvb, your temps, is the beardie eating or drinking, etc.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone,
Rio, my beardie is 14th months old now. He´s been brumating for almost 4 months now as of today!

I´m wondering:
1. Is this normal?
2. How do I know if he´s out of brumation? Because, he´s been going in and out of it for quite a while....
3. Any specific recommendations in terms of how to stimulate him to get back to his norm?

Thank you in advance :)
4 months is pretty long for brumation- please go over the surface basking temps-- ambient temps-- your uvb? Coil or long tube fixture?

Kristjan

Original Poster
4 months is pretty long for brumation- please go over the surface basking temps-- ambient temps-- your uvb? Coil or long tube fixture?
He´s been going in and out of brumation I feel like. One day he might be up all day- and then go back into brumation for few days, and then repeating this behaviour. I have kept his routine the same since he went into brumation. Turning the lights out at night, and turn them on in the morning. He has a hiding place in his tank but he has never used it- instead he always in the upper right corner under the uvb bulb when he is sleeping and brumation. I´m a little confused by this since it´s been so long since I feel like he´s been in his norm.....

I have attached few pics of the light bulbs I´m using as well as overall view of the tank, and his physical appearance?

Thanks in advance....
Kristjan

Attachments

• 20231008_125429.jpg
    20231008_125429.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231008_125436.jpg
    20231008_125436.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231008_124845.jpg
    20231008_124845.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231008_124859.jpg
    20231008_124859.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231008_124925.jpg
    20231008_124925.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231008_125016.jpg
    20231008_125016.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 36

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He´s been going in and out of brumation I feel like. One day he might be up all day- and then go back into brumation for few days, and then repeating this behaviour. I have kept his routine the same since he went into brumation. Turning the lights out at night, and turn them on in the morning. He has a hiding place in his tank but he has never used it- instead he always in the upper right corner under the uvb bulb when he is sleeping and brumation. I´m a little confused by this since it´s been so long since I feel like he´s been in his norm.....

I have attached few pics of the light bulbs I´m using as well as overall view of the tank, and his physical appearance?

Thanks in advance....
Kristjan
Please get rid of the coil----------- you need a long tube fixture like one of the UVB's I am going to post- coils are inadequate and will cause health issues - please replace as soon as possible then watch his behavior- semi brumation is what your describing but you need correct UVB lighting -
distance and placement will be determined by your screen on the tank please post back on here when you get the UVB
24 " and 12% bulb 24 watt Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
24" you will need to change out the bulb this will come w/ a 5.0 you need this bulb
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Fluorescent T5 HO Bulb (22", 24 Watt)
the other websites are out of stock that I was looking at
24" or 2 ft you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun I posted above

Kristjan

Original Poster
I´m using two bulb like this in a lamp approx 16-17'' each (and they have a reflector inside of it).
Those two lamps cover most of the width of the tank. This was indeed recommended by the employee of the store in regards to the size and configuration of the tank- since the screen on top is divided in four squares. I´m no expert in all of this by any means- but I was hoping that I could trust in what I was buying..... :/

Here is a description which comes with the bulb:
The Exo Terra Reptile UVB150 has a very high UVB output similar to sunlight in deserts. These locations receive more direct sunlight, therefore desert reptiles are more exposed to UV radiation than any other type of reptile. This bulb can also be used on terrariums with denser screen covers to ensure sufficient UVB penetration. Dense screens can filter out up to 50% of the UVB rays. The high Vitamin D3 yield index ensures vitamin D3 photosynthesis to aid calcium absorption and prevent metabolic diseases.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I´m using two bulb like this in a lamp approx 16-17'' each (and they have a reflector inside of it).
Those two lamps cover most of the width of the tank. This was indeed recommended by the employee of the store in regards to the size and configuration of the tank- since the screen on top is divided in four squares. I´m no expert in all of this by any means- but I was hoping that I could trust in what I was buying..... :/

The Exo Terra Reptile UVB150 has a very high UVB output similar to sunlight in deserts. These locations receive more direct sunlight, therefore desert reptiles are more exposed to UV radiation than any other type of reptile. This bulb can also be used on terrariums with denser screen covers to ensure sufficient UVB penetration. Dense screens can filter out up to 50% of the UVB rays. The high Vitamin D3 yield index ensures vitamin D3 photosynthesis to aid calcium absorption and prevent metabolic diseases.
Please do not listen to store employees - we get so many on here w/ the wrong advice on lighting- its only when dragons start showing lethargic- quit eating etc behavior- people come here looking for answers- please replace the uvb as soon as you can - your dragon is getting little to no uvb- he will not survive w/ out correct uvb

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree with Karrieree 100%.
Your to fixtures up front, are they zilla brand? I can't see them well enough to tell in the pics. If so they come with a plastic lens covering the bulb. It blocks 100% of the ubv rendering them useless. I wish they would stop selling them. If that's what they are please remove the lens. Also they will be t8 bulbs and need to be under the screen. That is likely why your beardie hangs out only in that corner, he is trying to get enough uvb to be healthy.
The Arcadia pro t5 12% is a much better option, you can get it at petsmart or online. ZooMed also works, but I have personally had problems with their fixtures.
I also agree with Karrieree about not taking advice from the employees of chain stores, most of them have never had a reptile let alone been educated on them.
I've been keeping beardies for about 9 years, folks like Karrieree, AHBD, Claudiusx, Cooperdragon to name a few have alot more years experience than that. Trust me, you won't find better or more accurate info anywhere else.

Kristjan

Original Poster
Please do not listen to store employees - we get so many on here w/ the wrong advice on lighting- its only when dragons start showing lethargic- quit eating etc behavior- people come here looking for answers- please replace the uvb as soon as you can - your dragon is getting little to no uvb- he will not survive w/ out correct uvb
Thank you so much for your answer. I really appreciate it! I will go ahead and start getting another uvb strip bulb.
Question: the width of the tank is 36'', and just so I understand this correctly 22'' or 24'' is the correct length of the bulb?
Do I need light fixture and a bulb and putting it inside the tank? And, from the info you presented above.
I need to get the fixture at one place and the bulb at another place?
Just before I put in an order for this.......

Kristjan

Original Poster
I agree with Karrieree 100%.
Your to fixtures up front, are they zilla brand? I can't see them well enough to tell in the pics. If so they come with a plastic lens covering the bulb. It blocks 100% of the ubv rendering them useless. I wish they would stop selling them. If that's what they are please remove the lens. Also they will be t8 bulbs and need to be under the screen. That is likely why your beardie hangs out only in that corner, he is trying to get enough uvb to be healthy.
The Arcadia pro t5 12% is a much better option, you can get it at petsmart or online. ZooMed also works, but I have personally had problems with their fixtures.
I also agree with Karrieree about not taking advice from the employees of chain stores, most of them have never had a reptile let alone been educated on them.
I've been keeping beardies for about 9 years, folks like Karrieree, AHBD, Claudiusx, Cooperdragon to name a few have alot more years experience than that. Trust me, you won't find better or more accurate info anywhere else.
Thank you. It´d be nice to get the Arcadia T5 12% and the light fixture at the same place. Hopefully I can find it somewhere :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much for your answer. I really appreciate it! I will go ahead and start getting another uvb strip bulb.
Question: the width of the tank is 36'', and just so I understand this correctly 22'' or 24'' is the correct length of the bulb?
Do I need light fixture and a bulb and putting it inside the tank? And, from the info you presented above.
I need to get the fixture at one place and the bulb at another place?
Just before I put in an order for this.......
If you haft to try and get the Arcadia - it comes w/ the bulb already --- if you order the Zoo Med or the Sunblaster you will need to get the bulbs from two different places since the places I looked were out of the bulbs --and yes you want the 22" bulb--- you want a 24" fixture --

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Completely agree with Karrie and Xp29, your bulb needs to be replaced asap. Use either a Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia D3+ fixture, inferior brand such as Zoomed or Thrive do not produce an adequate exposure unlike the packaging or pet store employees may claim.

Keep in mind, if your UVB fixture is up to date you don’t need to supplement vitamin D3 with your bearded dragon’s calcium.

Kristjan

Original Poster
If you haft to try and get the Arcadia - it comes w/ the bulb already --- if you order the Zoo Med or the Sunblaster you will need to get the bulbs from two different places since the places I looked were out of the bulbs --and yes you want the 22" bulb--- you want a 24" fixture --
I just ordered these..... Really hope these are the right ones ??

Attachments

• 387582088_2013137425703773_5651877172407586908_n.jpg
    387582088_2013137425703773_5651877172407586908_n.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 387536707_2508360639346454_6786179383731987898_n.jpg
    387536707_2508360639346454_6786179383731987898_n.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 49

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom