Green and bug diet schedule help

zonkey

Original Poster
Hi all! I unfortunately made the mistake of giving my beardie too many bugs, and the salad she once loved she no longer wants to touch because, you guessed it, she just wants the bugs (albeit I did get her to eat a few leaves today..) frustrated with myself over it, a s I just want her to be eating well. My question is, what’s your guys’ system? How do you keep it so that they primarily stay on greens and when they do get bugs, don’t start “protesting” until they get more bugs? If that makes sense lol?? What do you guys do that keeps them eating their greens, and able to eat bugs, without going crazy only for bugs and refusing greens? I’m guessing moderation is the answer, but I’m just looking for specific answers. Like, what your feeding schedule is with all these things. Thanks all, super appreciate it as always. Just wanna keep my girl well fed and healthy as I can. She is a rescue and needs to gain some more weight so I want to be sure to help her however I can with this. I love her very much.

Last edited:
Solution
and when they do get huge, don’t start “protesting” until they get more bugs?
The answer is to let them protest.

Seriously, they won't let themselves starve to death. If you want, don't even offer bugs at all anymore until they start eating their salads.

Weight gain shouldn't be the goal, health should be. And you don't get there with a dragon that doesn't eat it's salads.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
and when they do get huge, don’t start “protesting” until they get more bugs?

Seriously, they won't let themselves starve to death. If you want, don't even offer bugs at all anymore until they start eating their salads.

Weight gain shouldn't be the goal, health should be. And you don't get there with a dragon that doesn't eat it's salads.

-Brandon

Solution

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think most people feed greens early and bugs later. But like Brandon said you may have to withhold the bugs untill see starts eating the greens.

zonkey

Original Poster

-Brandon
Makes sense, that’s what I’m doing now. What do you recommend doing in the future to avoid this? How often do you give bugs so that they won’t go on strike lol

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the age of the dragon, but for adults, I don't offer them enough live insects for them to get full off of them anyways. 3 times a week they get insects, and like I said, it's not a "full meal" like you're used to with feeding juvies.

Salads are offered in the tank every day. Once they get in the grove of things it stays pretty consistent.

-Brandon

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
They say that you should give them whatever bugs they can eat in ten minutes. I don't do that. I only give bugs until he starts thinking about it in between bugs. If he delays grabbing another bug, I don't give anymore bugs. At that point, he's likely still hungry and will eventually head to his greens to fill up.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Personally I always let my boy chase his prey and offer one bug at a time. As soon as he stops to chase or shows signs of slowing down, feeding time is over. Like you said, if he has to think about if he's still hungry or not, he's had enough.
This is a little more time consuming, though and it means you have crickets running on your carpet while he hunts them 🙈

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is very common, it happens a lot! You should be able to get her to eat her greens again but it
will take some patience. Since her weight is where it needs to be she wont have any trouble with a
cutback on some insects. Good luck!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom