He may not have a beard but he thinks his " turtle neck " is pretty showy !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Fireskinks are pretty from head to tail, interesting color and patterns on these flashy little guys. :)

1702414467341.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Yes he is, he also never turns down food so he hangs out to see what might drop in. Sometimes a superworm, mealworm, darkling beetle, cricket, scrambled egg [ VERY little ] small piece of cooked chicken or salmon [ cooked + rinsed quickly so there's no grease or salt ] nightcrawler, isopods. The easiest reptile to feed that I've ever owned. He poos in one corner of the tank in the moss and the cuc takes care of every bit.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Yes he is, he also never turns down food so he hangs out to see what might drop in. Sometimes a superworm, mealworm, darkling beetle, cricket, scrambled egg [ VERY little ] small piece of cooked chicken or salmon [ cooked + rinsed quickly so there's no grease or salt ] nightcrawler, isopods. The easiest reptile to feed that I've ever owned. He poos in one corner of the tank in the moss and the cuc takes care of every bit.
How difficult is fire skink lighting to set up and install? Does it need ultraviolet light?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
How difficult is fire skink lighting to set up and install? Does it need ultraviolet light?
Very easy. They spend a lot of time underground and don't need a lot of uvb, even a 10.0 t8 will do or an Arcadia t5 6%. I've experimented with no uvb for periods of time with no ill effects in any way whatsoever.
Basking spot around 90 F, coolest end can be low 70's. Night time 65-75. They like a good layer of substrate for burrowing, topsoil, maybe some coco fiber possibly a little sand but not to make it sandy. I get live moss from outdoors.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Very easy. They spend a lot of time underground and don't need a lot of uvb, even a 10.0 t8 will do or an Arcadia t5 6%. I've experimented with no uvb for periods of time with no ill effects in any way whatsoever.
Basking spot around 90 F, coolest end can be low 70's. Night time 65-75. They like a good layer of substrate for burrowing, topsoil, maybe some coco fiber possibly a little sand but not to make it sandy. I get live moss from outdoors.
How thick should the substrate layer be for burrowing? Will 5 inches be enough?
Maybe I will have another terrarium and who knows how I can use it in the future.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom