Is my bearded dragon dying?

you may know me from a previous post i made about my beardies tail and im here to post an update, but unfortunately it isn’t a positive one.
I saw many people’s replies to my post and unfortunately we couldn’t find anything sort of treatment like that, online and at pet stores, also i did set up a go fund me but it really didn’t get a lot of traction. It has been a few months since i posted and i’m sorry to say that Gilbert has unfortunately gotten worse. Just a few days ago i noticed that a part of his head had shrunk in a bit, i searched it up and came back with that he was either malnourished or dehydrated, which i’m not understanding why as i give him food and water every day. Only until recently has he stopped eating and drinking, and i’m not sure why.
It was a few minutes ago that i looked into his cage and took him out as i do most mornings. Only to find him a few a minutes later stiffening up his arms and his head, which was a pretty alarming sight for me.
Unfortunately we still can’t really afford a vet and so i don’t know what to do. If anyone could give me tips on what to do i would greatly appreciate it!!

Attachments

• IMG_6148.jpeg
    IMG_6148.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6149.jpeg
    IMG_6149.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 47

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
you may know me from a previous post i made about my beardies tail and im here to post an update, but unfortunately it isn’t a positive one.
I saw many people’s replies to my post and unfortunately we couldn’t find anything sort of treatment like that, online and at pet stores, also i did set up a go fund me but it really didn’t get a lot of traction. It has been a few months since i posted and i’m sorry to say that Gilbert has unfortunately gotten worse. Just a few days ago i noticed that a part of his head had shrunk in a bit, i searched it up and came back with that he was either malnourished or dehydrated, which i’m not understanding why as i give him food and water every day. Only until recently has he stopped eating and drinking, and i’m not sure why.
It was a few minutes ago that i looked into his cage and took him out as i do most mornings. Only to find him a few a minutes later stiffening up his arms and his head, which was a pretty alarming sight for me.
Unfortunately we still can’t really afford a vet and so i don’t know what to do. If anyone could give me tips on what to do i would greatly appreciate it!!
I pulled up your old post - what has happened w/ the tail? Did you get to a vet you said any kind of treatment like that - amputation was recommended - if you didnt get the tail taken care of my guess is the infection has spread into the blood stream and yes it looks like he is dying- are you in the states?

thatguydrey

Original Poster
I pulled up your old post - what has happened w/ the tail? Did you get to a vet you said any kind of treatment like that - amputation was recommended - if you didnt get the tail taken care of my guess is the infection has spread into the blood stream and yes it looks like he is dying- are you in the states?

thatguydrey

Original Poster
i think it was infected with something called, “gangrene” if i’ve got that right, and we cant afford a vet, we don’t really have that sort of money over here in the uk, which is where i’m situated, and especially for a surgery like this

thatguydrey

Original Poster
if he is dying is he in a lot of pain?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing is in a lot of pain, that's why his beard is dark as he lies immobile like that. As we mentioned in your other thread he has tail rot [ like gangrene ] and since a simple amputation was not done back then the infection would most likely be ravaging his body now. I don't know what else to tell you now.

thatguydrey

Original Poster
Poor thing is in a lot of pain, that's why his beard is dark as he lies immobile like that. As we mentioned in your other thread he has tail rot [ like gangrene ] and since a simple amputation was not done back then the infection would most likely be ravaging his body now. I don't know what else to tell you now.
how long does he have left do you reckon?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry this has happened, he likely has had infection travel into his system from his tail.
If you could get him into an emergency visit it might be possible to save him but he would be
critical to get his system detoxed.
For now, try to keep him comfortable right now. Please
let us know how things go. I'm sorry that your dragon
is going through this.

Tracie

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom