Beebz is awake now, but still has no appetite.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
So Beebz finally woke up from (semi) Brumation about a month ago. He is spending a lot of time basking again and is pretty much back to his old activity level. My concern is he still eats very little.

He gets salad everyday and will normally take a bite or two at some point during the day. Sometimes he'll eat a bit more. He has eaten about 5 roaches twice since he woke up. Generally he looks at the roaches acts as if he might want them then turns his head and ignores them. He will still eat hornworms most of the time.

I give him 1 every 2-3 days when I have them but there have been times he goes over a week without them and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Even the hornworms he doesn't show much enthusiasm for. It takes him a minute to decide he wants it and he doesn't want to move more than a couple steps to get it. He used to run across the enclosure any time he saw one.

I haven't gotten his weight in the last couple weeks as I need to change the scale battery but when I took it during brumation he had dropped from 740g to 699g.

I'm attaching these pictures so you can assess his condition.
1000006082.jpg

1000006073.jpg

1000006080.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They do tend to slow down on food as they get older, i guess that after they reach full size maybe they don't need as much as when growing. My guys will go for a time being super picky, then gobble down anything for a bit. Back and forth. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
They do tend to slow down on food as they get older, i guess that after they reach full size maybe they don't need as much as when growing. My guys will go for a time being super picky, then gobble down anything for a bit. Back and forth. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it
Thanks for responding. Beebz did just reach a year old a couple weeks back. And he's definitely on the large end of the adult size at over 23" long. I guess I just assumed his transition to eating less would be more gradual. He got like this before his semi-brumation. Then he'd go weeks between eating a few bugs. Now he's woken up and is following the same pattern.

I haven't seen him "gobble down anything" mode since he was like 8 months old. I'm going to try and pick up a few crickets this weekend and see if they are recieved any better. I haven't given him any of his preferred foods besides hornworms because I didn't want to encourage him to hold out for favorites. I had kept up the hornworms because the stubborn little dude won't take water other than what he gets from his bugs or sprinkled on his salad and after brumation I wanted to make sure he at least stayed hydrated. I'm cutting those off too now to see if he's just holding out for favorites. He did eat some silk worms when I got them but I've had two batches in a row go bad quickly so I'm not gonna be trying those again anytime soon.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Thanks for responding. Beebz did just reach a year old a couple weeks back. And he's definitely on the large end of the adult size at over 23" long. I guess I just assumed his transition to eating less would be more gradual. He got like this before his semi-brumation. Then he'd go weeks between eating a few bugs. Now he's woken up and is following the same pattern.

I haven't seen him "gobble down anything" mode since he was like 8 months old. I'm going to try and pick up a few crickets this weekend and see if they are recieved any better. I haven't given him any of his preferred foods besides hornworms because I didn't want to encourage him to hold out for favorites. I had kept up the hornworms because the stubborn little dude won't take water other than what he gets from his bugs or sprinkled on his salad and after brumation I wanted to make sure he at least stayed hydrated. I'm cutting those off too now to see if he's just holding out for favorites. He did eat some silk worms when I got them but I've had two batches in a row go bad quickly so I'm not gonna be trying those again anytime soon.
I've had trouble with silks not growing and dying also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom