Rocky thinks he is hooman!

Rocky refuses, no really- he SIMPLY refuses to get in his enclosure. What do I do? I checked the temperatures but now that it's Spring he does NOT want any parts of his enclosure. Rocky simply walks from window to window, he even finds his way to the bathroom, he poos by the toilet (second time he's done this- I am not longer amused or amazed) and he resumes his daily activities. I watch him and whenever I try to talk to him, he closes the one eye and tells me to go away. How do I know? Because if I say something else beside, "Why dont you want to go to your enclosure?" or "Why are you doing this to me?" - Rocky is at full attention. So much so, he will sit on my lap and "talk about it."
I called for intervention but everyone thinks it is a joke or cute- telling me that he has "rested" for months and to let him be! These non-reptile parents don't know this is serious and a matter of health.
I checked and he's getting UV but he's not outside so I'm certain it's not the appropriate amount.

I googled the least punitive discipline for beardies...nothing.
Rocky's timeout no longer works.
He still let's me do what I need to do, as I am typing, he is in bath time. His tail is on alert because he probably is plotting an escape -

He's VERY active. He still doesnt climb but he runs fast, jumps and I weighed him, no weight loss.
No aggression...only when he wants to get out of his enclosure. I would say more of getting himself so upset that he black beards.

Any and all advice is welcome.

I am not taking Rocky outside, see previous post as he beats me up aka scratches me (I try to cut his nails) as he plays ring around my neck.

OVER IT!

Who remembers when I was CRYING when Rocky went into brumation? And look at this? This is totally ridiculous.

(We are 11 minutes into his bath time, WOW! He may do it!)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Rocky refuses, no really- he SIMPLY refuses to get in his enclosure. What do I do? I checked the temperatures but now that it's Spring he does NOT want any parts of his enclosure. Rocky simply walks from window to window, he even finds his way to the bathroom, he poos by the toilet (second time he's done this- I am not longer amused or amazed) and he resumes his daily activities. I watch him and whenever I try to talk to him, he closes the one eye and tells me to go away. How do I know? Because if I say something else beside, "Why dont you want to go to your enclosure?" or "Why are you doing this to me?" - Rocky is at full attention. So much so, he will sit on my lap and "talk about it."
I called for intervention but everyone thinks it is a joke or cute- telling me that he has "rested" for months and to let him be! These non-reptile parents don't know this is serious and a matter of health.
I checked and he's getting UV but he's not outside so I'm certain it's not the appropriate amount.

I googled the least punitive discipline for beardies...nothing.
Rocky's timeout no longer works.
He still let's me do what I need to do, as I am typing, he is in bath time. His tail is on alert because he probably is plotting an escape -

He's VERY active. He still doesnt climb but he runs fast, jumps and I weighed him, no weight loss.
No aggression...only when he wants to get out of his enclosure. I would say more of getting himself so upset that he black beards.

Any and all advice is welcome.

I am not taking Rocky outside, see previous post as he beats me up aka scratches me (I try to cut his nails) as he plays ring around my neck.

OVER IT!

Who remembers when I was CRYING when Rocky went into brumation? And look at this? This is totally ridiculous.

(We are 11 minutes into his bath time, WOW! He may do it!)
I had a similar situation. At one time, Foxy asked very strongly to go out. I was worried about not getting enough UV and heat.
I had to organize a heating zone for him outside time.
I think that after 3-4 weeks Foxy got used to the fact that he can choose where he should be - outside or in the terrarium and became more calm and sometimes even shows what he wants back to his tank.

Beardies are very stubborn, but I often notice that it is worth giving what they want to make them lose interest in it.
With Foxy, that's the only thing that works.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Even my more active beardies are fairly lazy, and believe me I'm grateful for it. About as far as they go is my bedroom.(it's kindda weird, they have access to the whole house but they everyone make a beeline for the bedroom). But as soon ascthey get there they either come back ir sit in the corner.
I have no idea how to calm him down 🤔

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Thanks everyone. As I type, Rocky is banging on the enclosure. So basically, I have to make the "vacation" set up at home. I can't believe this! Rocky gets to literally run my house?! I have to go back because I did not read any posts about this. I feel tricked. He's not even 2 years old. For the most part, other than going to the potty, he will stay in the room and rotate between the 3 windows (omg, what if I only had 1 window in the room, lol)-
I must admit these are NOT the responses that I expected. I know that I created a mess, this is my first reptile and I wanted to ensure that I got over my fear while showering him with love but NOW...I am paying for it.
(Rocky is staring me down right now- then lowering his body to threaten me- it didn't work so he popped his head back up! His beard is light- Rocky is a character!!)
Perhaps when he gets a little older, he will change. I must say, he gets his daily exercise. He jumps all over the enclosure, runs back and forth- hides, bangs--does whatever it takes.

He's looking at me head on now so he doesn't see all of me now anyways!)

Please understand that Rocky's enclosure is about 10 feet from the window- HE CAN SEE, he needs to calm down.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Maybe put him in his play pen and let him run off some energy, i dunno if it will work but it might be worth a try.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thanks everyone. As I type, Rocky is banging on the enclosure. So basically, I have to make the "vacation" set up at home. I can't believe this! Rocky gets to literally run my house?! I have to go back because I did not read any posts about this. I feel tricked. He's not even 2 years old. For the most part, other than going to the potty, he will stay in the room and rotate between the 3 windows (omg, what if I only had 1 window in the room, lol)-
I must admit these are NOT the responses that I expected. I know that I created a mess, this is my first reptile and I wanted to ensure that I got over my fear while showering him with love but NOW...I am paying for it.
(Rocky is staring me down right now- then lowering his body to threaten me- it didn't work so he popped his head back up! His beard is light- Rocky is a character!!)
Perhaps when he gets a little older, he will change. I must say, he gets his daily exercise. He jumps all over the enclosure, runs back and forth- hides, bangs--does whatever it takes.

He's looking at me head on now so he doesn't see all of me now anyways!)

Please understand that Rocky's enclosure is about 10 feet from the window- HE CAN SEE, he needs to calm down.
I had few ideas, and now there are none at all.
Can you tell me what Rocky's hourly schedule is? How many hours does he receive UV, how much does he spend in the basking zone, and how much time does he walk around the room?
Does he have problems now with digesting food due to the fact that he is out of the terrarium all the time?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
@NickAVD Rocky's schedule WAS 5am-5am
Rocky still eats and no he poops, as a matter of fact, I swear that he can MAKE himself poop because he poops on his hammock if I wont let him out. Since I've had Rocky, he has pooped in the same spot in the enclosure. Outside of the enclosure, he jumps down and walks to the bathroom, poops by the toilet then returns to the window. @xp29 and I figured he probably followed the bright light as I never took him to the bathroom, how he found the toilet, I don't know.
I gave him hormworms lately to ensure dehydration- he ate it and hate the extra watery poop- eh, that went over well.
So everything is okay.
I think at time he dismisses eating because he knows that means he has to go to the enclosure for basking time. I don't trust the sun for adequate basking.
I have my second light, I put it up. We will see how it goes so I can stop moving it in and out of the enclosure.

Rocky based today for 2.5 hours- that's his normal time...usually 3 if I am lucky. I put him in his enclosure throughout the day but within 20 minutes he is banging again. I know Rocky knows what he needs because in the window, he positions himself towards the sun but he wont leave. He will get down when he needed to be in the enclosure...before. He hasnt done that recently so I don't trust him anymore. My room temp is about 75/80 (I have to be sure for him)-

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Maybe put him in his play pen and let him run off some energy, i dunno if it will work but it might be worth a try.
I put Rocky in the playpen and he jumped around the sides like old times. It energized him more. He got out and was a ROCKET> something is really wrong with him. I am convinced he's in his terrible twos. He jumped on the curtains but remembered that he can't climb. It's hilarious.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I put Rocky in the playpen and he jumped around the sides like old times. It energized him more. He got out and was a ROCKET> something is really wrong with him. I am convinced he's in his terrible twos. He jumped on the curtains but remembered that he can't climb. It's hilarious.
I think you needn't worry about Rocky's behavior.
Rocky is a super smart and active dragon. And his activity and curiosity is only shows that you take great care of it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rocky is a super smart and active dragon. And his activity and curiosity is only shows that you take great care of it.
I agree.
Be careful with the window, if it isn't open the glass blocks the uvb from the sun. If your windows are screened so you can open them for him it's all good, if not he needs time under his uvb light as well as basking. If your going to set up a basking spot outside his habitat a mercury vapor bulb might be the best option as it emits uvb and heat.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Thank you. Is that what it is or that he has played me for a total fool?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I agree.
Be careful with the window, if it isn't open the glass blocks the uvb from the sun. If your windows are screened so you can open them for him it's all good, if not he needs time under his uvb light as well as basking. If your going to set up a basking spot outside his habitat a mercury vapor bulb might be the best option as it emits uvb and heat.
Right. I remember @Karrie saying that so I got that UVB tester...I have the light over him not but I haven't opened the window but thought about it. The window is onthe 2nd floor, I picture Rocky scratching through it...
I've seen the mercury vapor bulb - I bought one, it was huge if I recall correctly. It blew on me. I remember it was more expensive too--- I was upset! If Rocky stays in the enclosure, none of this would happen LOL

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thank you. Is that what it is or that he has played me for a total fool?
No:), I perceive your stories as a joint adventure of you and Rocky. I think, you complement each other and are halves of a single whole. talk more about your adventures, they always bring a smile on my face :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Right. I remember @Karrie saying that so I got that UVB tester...I have the light over him not but I haven't opened the window but thought about it. The window is onthe 2nd floor, I picture Rocky scratching through it...
I've seen the mercury vapor bulb - I bought one, it was huge if I recall correctly. It blew on me. I remember it was more expensive too--- I was upset! If Rocky stays in the enclosure, none of this would happen LOL
The best way I've found to save the mercury vapor bulbs is putting them in the wire cage in stead of a dome, it keeps some of the heat off the bulb 💡 If you use a dome try to find one that isn't snug to the bulb.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
The best way I've found to save the mercury vapor bulbs is putting them in the wire cage in stead of a dome, it keeps some of the heat off the bulb 💡 If you use a dome try to find one that isn't snug to the bulb.
thank you. I am going to look into this today.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom