flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Website Comments]

Where do you see the [flash] tag?? I see . . .
"", "", "", "
", "
Code:
", "[list]", "[list=]", "[*]", "[img]", and "[url]", but no "[flash]".

BeardyDragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
theres a thingy that says "[flash] is OFF" where it says:

BBCode is ON
is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
No flash. That is correct. While many people think it's the most wonderful thing in the world, this is my view:

1. I see VERY little need that people need to embed Flash applications or videos into a bearded dragon forum.

2. Flash is EVIL! Okay... maybe a little strong, but let me point out my view as an information security professional (what I do for a living). Flash (along with Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat, which technically have a LOT of the same programming code used across the different applications) is one of the BIGGEST reasons Malware is spread. Viruses, trojans, etc... Flash is a HUGE cause. Why? Because it enables a website (ANY WEBSITE) to technically run code on your computer. Under normal circumstances, that code is relatively limited and contained.... except... there are CONSTANTLY vulnerabilities in Flash (one new one just this week, possibly 2) that can result in an attacker running whatever they want on your computer! Usually this means your computer (along with the other half of average joe users on the Internet, not really aware of how hostile an environment the Internet actually is when it comes to viruses and worms, and personal and financial stealing programs running on computers you didn't want it to) ends up being part of a botnet. Maybe it's used to commit financial fraud on someone else (using your computer), or maybe just to send 500,000 spam emails a day (this is actually a common number; I've seen it first hand on some company computers), or maybe they're just waiting and gathering data quietly, shipping off your passwords, financial account logins, facebook account logins, etc... or maybe they're just staying quiet... staying on your computer and not doing much other than waiting for instructions.

Okay... I know.... sounds big and scary... but it's the reality of the Internet these days.

So, that's just a long way of explaining why I decided "no Flash". :)

-Alex

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Oh... heh. And to answer the actual question...

Flash is video primarily. It's also how many websites make things more interactive on websites sometimes (the highly animated stuff that responds to your mouse interactions). Generally also if a site as audio embedded into a page, they're often using Flash to do it. So, it's an audio/video platform for web pages, basically. Most movie, band, and photography websites these days seem to all be flashed based.

I'm not totally against the use of Flash, but it's a serious security hole (more for Windows, but also for Macs). And allowing other people to embed Flash here, makes it so an attacker could use this site to infect people's computers if they happen to link to an exploiting Flash video/application.

-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom