Feeding Pinkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
A baby beardie would not be able to eat it, its WAY bigger than the space between the eyes. Plus they have that natural kink in their digestive tract that would cause issues too I would think. I won't feed any to Mojo ever because having had snakes before I am so done with mice. That and there are too many interesting bugs to try to worry about getting pinks lol.

NFM07

Hatchling Member
I did mention that I would not feed to a baby, other then being "done" with mice what reason do you have for saying that someone should not do it? If a pinkie gives the beardie a sorta "juice" that other dogs can not what harm would it cause?

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Well the fact that pinks are not even all that good for baby snakes, just what they are able to eat is a big factor since snakes are supposed to eat mice. Think about it if pinks are just a get me going short term feed item why bother giving it as a treat to a beardie who may or may not eat them in the wild? (does anyone know if they will eat them if they find them in the wild?) Mimicking the wild diet should be our goal supplementing the bugs we can get that do not harm them and are GOOD for them to replace those we can not get that are native to Australia. If I can be shown proof that they are nutritional and beneficial to a beardie and are a part of their natural diet then I will consider feeding them. Without proof to the positive I see no reason to do it just because I can. Like all animals they will eat things that are not good for them if they are hungry or curious enough.

techdave

Juvie Member
Supplementing d3 is dependant on what kind of uvb light you're using. The Reptisun 10.0 needs calcuim WITH d3, where the MVB?( I don't remember the name, it's the kind used in the UK), needs cacium WITHOUT d3.

Beardies don't need a vitamin "boost". If they're given the vitamin powder on a regular basis, it's pointless to "boost" it, as they are already where they need to be.

Extra protein is also irrelevant, as dubias have a high amount of protein. Eating enough of those cancel out any "gains".

My opinion is to never feed them pinkies, as the fat to protein ration is just simply not worth it. Compare it to a triple cheeseburger. It's not going to kill you(unless you choke (or get impacted)), but you'll be feeling the effects of sluggishness, tiredness etc.... and when you think about it, is it really worth it?

If you want to give a treat, give silkworms. Most beardies love them and they have an enzyme that is really beneficial for many beardie functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom