Too many substrates!?

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Man there are too many types of substrates out there with so many "pros" and "cons" too each one! Ahhh if something (like walnut shells) isnt good for a bearded dragon then why is it still even being sold?! I want to get Mr. Dragon something he can dig and burrow into. Right now hes got real carpet squares and some reptile carpet. I can hear him scratching at the wall inside his cave like he wants to dig but I dont know what type to get him? Somebody tell me what to do D; !!!!!! Ill do whatever it takes, Ill buy it or make it or whatever. What do you guys use? My baby deserves the best!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Man there are too many types of substrates out there with so many "pros" and "cons" too each one! Ahhh if something (like walnut shells) isnt good for a bearded dragon then why is it still even being sold?! I want to get Mr. Dragon something he can dig and burrow into. Right now hes got real carpet squares and some reptile carpet. I can hear him scratching at the wall inside his cave like he wants to dig but I dont know what type to get him? Somebody tell me what to do D; !!!!!! Ill do whatever it takes, Ill buy it or make it or whatever. What do you guys use? My baby deserves the best!
Potting soil w/ No fertilizer in it and play sand sold at your local home improvement store-

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Maybe a little more on the potting soil
Hi again! Just wanted to ask and make sure I got the right stuff! They said this was potting soil without fertilizer but it doesn't look like soil? It's like that stuff in fake plants that holds onto moisture? What do you use?

Attachments

• 20230831_165634.jpg
    20230831_165634.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi again! Just wanted to ask and make sure I got the right stuff! They said this was potting soil without fertilizer but it doesn't look like soil? It's like that stuff in fake plants that holds onto moisture? What do you use?
Lets ask AHBD shes the experienced one w/ the egg laying -- you want a dirt material --
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Play sand you got right, potting soil is a no. Right on the front it says ' feeds for 6 months ' so that tells us that there's fertilizer in it. You can take that back and see if they have vermiculite. If not just get some coco fiber from the pet store to mix with the sand. Your dragon will have a blast and make a big old mess for you, and there's nothing more fun than that for a dragon ! 🐉
BTW are you sure he's a Mr. and not a Miss or Mrs ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Play sand you got right, potting soil is a no. Right on the front it says ' feeds for 6 months ' so that tells us that there's fertilizer in it. You can take that back and see if they have vermiculite. If not just get some coco fiber from the pet store to mix with the sand. Your dragon will have a blast and make a big old mess for you, and there's nothing more fun than that for a dragon ! 🐉
@AHBD I thought coco fibre was a no no due to RI's - too dry from the dust? and potting soil w/ no additives should not be used at all?

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Looks like vermiculite is a lot harder to get in stores than I thought hah. Well for the coco fiber, it doesn't matter if its compressed or loose, right? Ill have to break it apart anyways?
Oh yeah I have no idea if "he's" a "she" or maybe "it" identifies as a "snake"? I don't know? But even is "she's" an "it", "shkles" name would probably still be Mr. Dragon. Its a family name :p

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Looks like vermiculite is a lot harder to get in stores than I thought hah. Well for the coco fiber, it doesn't matter if its compressed or loose, right? Ill have to break it apart anyways?
Oh yeah I have no idea if "he's" a "she" or maybe "it" identifies as a "snake"? I don't know? But even is "she's" an "it", "shkles" name would probably still be Mr. Dragon. Its a family name :p
Walmart carries it

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom