enclosure size

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmar

i have a baby beardy in a 20 gallon long and was wondering if it can survive in there its whole life with practically no decor(just a basking rock and log). And are there any health problems that can be results from keeping it there?

fez09

Extreme Poster
I would say yes, it can survive in there but no, it's not the ideal home. Is there a reason that you wouldn't be able to provide more comfortable housing??

salmar

Original Poster
i have no space in my room for a bigger enclosure and im only allowed to keep it in my room. since i live in So. california, I will probably let him out a lot in my yard so he can get some exercise.

Rachella

Juvie Member
I'm not sure of any health-type issues of keeping an adult bearded dragon in a 20 gallon, although I can say with a fair amount of confidence it'd be like keeping a dog in a bathroom it's entire life. When the beardie becomes fully grown, it won't be able to turn without hitting one side of the tank or the other, or even both.

You can do it, sure, but it's not recommended. If you could ever get enough room in your room for at least a 40 gallon, that would be best.

Also, take precaution when you take your beardie outside! :) Don't let him/her eat any strange insects or veggies and keep an eye on the sky, as a hawk or eagle would see the beardie as a potential snack. There are lots of stories of someone turning their head for a minute and when they look back, the beardie is gone. So while it's always a good thing for fresh sun, just keep a close eye on him/her. :D

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Thats way to small for a beardie sorry to say thats like you living in a small closet all your life.

40gal breeder is ok best is a 4x2x2 that will be the most they will ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom