Beardie no longer basking

muskiemagic

Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
If you look close in the lower right hand corner of the pic you can see the head of my old girl. I have had her for 13 years and she was full grown when I got her. She rarely uses her dino basking decor anymore. I am using a 50w halogen and basking spot reaches 95 with temp gun. She mainly just lies on the tiles where she is in this pic or on tiles directly behind the decor. I am concerned about that because she really isnt getting into the direct heat of basking bulb and she is further away from the uvb as well. She used to lay on her basking decor all the time and never was an issue but over time has gone away from it. I have also noticed a decline in her appetite as well. She is usually fed dubias and collards, turnip and mustard greens. Could this just be because of her age ? Is there anything I should change or just let her live out what she has left in her doing what she is doing ?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20240113_184330.jpg
    thumbnail_20240113_184330.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 44

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you look close in the lower right hand corner of the pic you can see the head of my old girl. I have had her for 13 years and she was full grown when I got her. She rarely uses her dino basking decor anymore. I am using a 50w halogen and basking spot reaches 95 with temp gun. She mainly just lies on the tiles where she is in this pic or on tiles directly behind the decor. I am concerned about that because she really isnt getting into the direct heat of basking bulb and she is further away from the uvb as well. She used to lay on her basking decor all the time and never was an issue but over time has gone away from it. I have also noticed a decline in her appetite as well. She is usually fed dubias and collards, turnip and mustard greens. Could this just be because of her age ? Is there anything I should change or just let her live out what she has left in her doing what she is doing ?
Your UVB is too high-- it needs to be lowered to 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor - if she is no longer climbing on anything I would drop it to 13 inches- the decline in appetite would be not getting enough UVB normally but it could be her age as well -- I would adjust the UVB and then see what her behavior is along w/ getting a surface basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer- IR guns are good but not accurate at times depending on the decor material - I dont see the 50 watt bulb getting temps to where they should be --

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Your UVB is too high-- it needs to be lowered to 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor - if she is no longer climbing on anything I would drop it to 13 inches- the decline in appetite would be not getting enough UVB normally but it could be her age as well -- I would adjust the UVB and then see what her behavior is along w/ getting a surface basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer- IR guns are good but not accurate at times depending on the decor material - I dont see the 50 watt bulb getting temps to where they should be --
I am using a herpstat thermostat and have that set to 85 which is getting a basking temp of 95 with a 50w buld like I said using a temp gun. I will try placing a probe there and see what temp I get. Not sure how I'd really be able to lower my uvb inside a pvc enclosure. I have it screwed right into the ceiling at the moment. According to Arcadia chart it says using a 12% desert bulb it should be placed 12-18 inches from reptile to light. She would be 15 inches away from uvb if she were on here basking decor

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am using a herpstat thermostat and have that set to 85 which is getting a basking temp of 95 with a 50w buld like I said using a temp gun. I will try placing a probe there and see what temp I get. Not sure how I'd really be able to lower my uvb inside a pvc enclosure. I have it screwed right into the ceiling at the moment.
I cant see the top is it solid I am assuming since you said its screwed in? It needs to come down- how high is it from the basking decor piece shes not using ? I would move those decor pieces drop the UVB to around 13 inches from the floor to UVB-

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
I cant see the top is it solid I am assuming since you said its screwed in? It needs to come down- how high is it from the basking decor piece shes not using ? I would move those decor pieces drop the UVB to around 13 inches from the floor to UVB-
It is mounted on inside of enclosure and is about 17 inches from decor itself and would be 15 inches from her if she was on it which according to Arcadias distance chart should be within range. I will try and figure out a way to drop the uvb fixture and measure from floor and see what happens. I am using an arcadia pro t5 with reflector and 12% desert bulb just to let you know. I also have a 14% desert bulb as well. Could I just try using that instead of lowering fixture ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is mounted on inside of enclosure and is about 17 inches from decor itself and would be 15 inches from her if she was on it which according to Arcadias distance chart should be within range. I will try and figure out a way to drop the uvb fixture and measure from floor and see what happens. I am using an arcadia pro t5 with reflector just to let you know
You can get some picture wire hangers and hang w/ them - how old is the bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Should I try the 14% desert bulb instead of the 12% since its a stronger bulb for a few days and see what happens or do you still recommend lowering the fixture
You can try the 14% but since she's not climbing the distance would be 15" then? Normal distance for a 14% is 17-18" from basking decor piece- we want her to get adequate rays

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
You can try the 14% but since she's not climbing the distance would be 15" then? Normal distance for a 14% is 17-18" from basking decor piece- we want her to get adequate rays
Right now distance from decor piece to uvb is 17". From floor to uvb is 20".

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Too far- so you have options pick the best one for her--
Ok I will try the 14 % for about a week since I have one. If I see no change I will lower fixture and go back to the 12%. Also the 14% has been sitting in my closet for about 2-3 years now never used. It should still work shouldn't it? I know they need to replaced after a year of actual use.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I will try the 14 % for about a week since I have one. If I see no change I will lower fixture and go back to the 12%. Also the 14% has been sitting in my closet for about 2-3 years now never used. It should still work shouldn't it? I know they need to replaced after a year of actual use.
It's good if it's not been used -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted on your other thread too. I agree, as Karrie suggested, try moving the UVB light a bit
closer. If you are going to upgrade to the 14% that is excellent strength. You are still going to
go to a shorter tube, right?

Tracie

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Hello,

I posted on your other thread too. I agree, as Karrie suggested, try moving the UVB light a bit
closer. If you are going to upgrade to the 14% that is excellent strength. You are still going to
go to a shorter tube, right?

Tracie
When I can afford to make the change yes I will be going with the smaller 22" tube instead of the 34". I'm leary about the 14%. I understand those are very strong bulbs. I'd like to stick with the 12% I just need to figure out away to mount fixture lower in my enclosure

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom