Beardie no longer basking

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When I can afford to make the change yes I will be going with the smaller 22" tube instead of the 34". I'm leary about the 14%. I understand those are very strong bulbs. I'd like to stick with the 12% I just need to figure out away to mount fixture lower in my enclosure
Try using the picture wire - is the top solid?

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Try using the picture wire - is the top solid?
Yes its solid PVC enclosure. 120 gal. Critter Condo to be exact. I think I figured it out. Im going to use eye hooks screwed into ceiling and very small linked chain to create loops for fixture to rest on. Im also going to go get a 75w Arcadia halogen today to boost heat at a lower distance for her to bask in instead of the 50w that I'm currently using. As I mentioned before she really doesn't use basking decor much anymore mainly just rests on floor. Think she is just getting old enough to the point she cant really climb up on things to get close enough to the bulbs. Or as you mentioned before the lack of uvb might be a factor. So hopefully lowering her uvb will perk her up a bit. I just want one more verification on distance from you. Im going to stay with the 12% arcadia uvb so should I go 12" to 15" inches from basking decor to bulb or go from floor to bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes its solid PVC enclosure. 120 gal. Critter Condo to be exact. I think I figured it out. Im going to use eye hooks screwed into ceiling and very small linked chain to create loops for fixture to rest on. Im also going to go get a 75w Arcadia halogen today to boost heat at a lower distance for her to bask in instead of the 50w that I'm currently using. As I mentioned before she really doesn't use basking decor much anymore mainly just rests on floor. Think she is just getting old enough to the point she cant really climb up on things to get close enough to the bulbs. Or as you mentioned before the lack of uvb might be a factor. So hopefully lowering her uvb will perk her up a bit. I just want one more verification on distance from you. Im going to stay with the 12% arcadia uvb so should I go 12" to 15" inches from basking decor to bulb or go from floor to bulb.
From floor to UVB 13" for your 12% bulb -- and the chain links will work -- just make sure your getting a surface basking temp off that floor if that is where she is sitting under it to bask - I have a dragon that is eye sight impaired and he has stopped climbing on any of his decor now - he sits on the floor of his tank all the time I had to adjust his UVB lower to him 13" and hes doing well now - I had noticed he was getting head tremors every now and then so as soon as I noticed that his UVB was dropped -the head tremors have now stopped - I am also having to feed him by syringe since he wont eat his salads on his own --- he is still trying to catch his roaches hes just not very good at it -- he misses a lot time a patience w/ him trying to get him to eat those on his own --

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
From floor to UVB 13" for your 12% bulb -- and the chain links will work -- just make sure your getting a surface basking temp off that floor if that is where she is sitting under it to bask - I have a dragon that is eye sight impaired and he has stopped climbing on any of his decor now - he sits on the floor of his tank all the time I had to adjust his UVB lower to him 13" and hes doing well now - I had noticed he was getting head tremors every now and then so as soon as I noticed that his UVB was dropped -the head tremors have now stopped - I am also having to feed him by syringe since he wont eat his salads on his own --- he is still trying to catch his roaches hes just not very good at it -- he misses a lot time a patience w/ him trying to get him to eat those on his own --
Yeah my girl is also visually impaired in one eye as well. And yes I will keep track of basking temp on the floor. I really do appreciate all your replies and recommendations. You have been extremely helpful. Hopefully I can make things more comfy for her with the changes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah my girl is also visually impaired in one eye as well. And yes I will keep track of basking temp on the floor. I really do appreciate all your replies and recommendations. You have been extremely helpful. Hopefully I can make things more comfy for her with the changes.
Me too keep us posted on how things are going w/ her after you make the adjustments-- hopefully this will help her

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
that is an awsome idea. But if you cut the anchor thing as you did how does it thread into light bracket ? And how do you know thread size to match bracket ?
I measured the diameter of the hole in the standard fastener that came with the lamp, and then bought a hook of the required diameter.
to get the hook into the bracket I had to unbent it out temporarily, after I put it in the bracket I bent it to make it look like before.

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
that is an awsome idea. But if you cut the anchor thing as you did how does it thread into light bracket ? And how do you know thread size to match bracket ?
Ok I gotcha now. Prob is Id want to take light bracket with me to make sure I get right diameter hook and run to store to get everything. My girl would be without uvb for about an hour or so if I did that. Would that be a prob ?

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Ok I gotcha now. Prob is Id want to take light bracket with me to make sure I get right diameter hook and run to store to get everything. My girl would be without uvb for about an hour or so if I did that. Would that be a prob ?
I think that one hour without UV will not affect anything. but I like to play it safe, I would temporarily hang one end of the lamp at least on a rope wrapped around the reflector
By the way, you can find a nail or a piece of wire at home that fits perfectly into the bracket and take this nail or wire to the store

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
I will do that. I will also post pics of changes when I get it done to see what you think.
So I figured out away to lower my uvb fixture but now the problem is that it hangs lower than my basking bulb and runs the risk of getting melted. I really cant move basking bulb away from it otherwise she wouldn't be under both at same time. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to the way I had things. Any suggestions

Attachments

• thumbnail_1000000316.jpg
    thumbnail_1000000316.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_1000000318.jpg
    thumbnail_1000000318.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail_20240114_142330.jpg
    thumbnail_20240114_142330.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 26

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I figured out away to lower my uvb fixture but now the problem is that it hangs lower than my basking bulb and runs the risk of getting melted. I really cant move basking bulb away from it otherwise she wouldn't be under both at same time. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to the way I had things. Any suggestions
What kind of temps are you getting w/ it being that far away? You can place the UVB going width wise instead of horizontal like you have it - as long as shes under it the 13 inches

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
You can place the heat lamp dome to the side of the UV so that the warm light rays do not touch the reflector of the UV lamp. if you want the UV rays to intersect better in the basking zone, tilt one of the lamps.
For example, Arcadia did this in Arcadia ThermalZooPro

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
What kind of temps are you getting w/ it being that far away? You can place the UVB going width wise instead of horizontal like you have it - as long as shes under it the 13 inches
I still have the 50w basking bulb in. I didnt want to switch to 75w yet cuz it will be heating up my uvb fiture as well and will probably melt that. So I either have to raise uvb again or move basking bulb to far out of uvb to avoid melting fixture. The reflector on uvb fixture is getting way over 100 degrees with the changes I made. I cant change direction of uvb because its 36" long and width of enclosure is only 24"

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom