D3, Is it necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
bayoupig5":14fb9 said:
and to take full advantage of the gorgeous Kelowna summers, will take my pet outside, to get the full intensity of UVB fron the sun.

Ah, nice. It's too cold here yet, but we had some sun last week, and a south facing window. Just warm enough in that spot to open the window for a spell and let beardie bask in the au naturale... he was in HEAVEN (trying to climb the screen to get closer!) Now, every time I bring him out he starts scrambling toward that window. Unfortunately, the rain is back so he was a tad disappointed today. *sigh* Looking forward to summer. For the time being, we've recently switched to an MVB bulb and beardie is LOVING that as well. (We had a ReptiSun 5.0 before and it was ok, but the upgrade is a big lift I'm sure.)

Tigg

Juvie Member
This is what makes this forum such a fun and educational place... I have to admit I have raised a few very healthy reptiles in my life and never used a D3 supliment, Which only lead me to believe even more that it was not needed. If I truely am wrong and my sources were... let's say outdated... Then I truely do appologize to anyone that I may have misleaded.

I have always used a tube style flourescent UVB source and just recently purchased a Megaray MVB for a customer encloser, unfortunately my little guy is not quite big enough to move him in yet, and I have yet to see any differences... Now I am even more excited about the whole project! :)

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Not trying to be rude, just asking questions:

Have you ever raised Bearded Dragons before, or just reptiles in general? What works for one reptile doesn't necessarily work for the next.

How big is your beardie? I wouldn't think that putting it in a bigger tank would be a problem unless your beardie is a hatchling or a baby, and you have a tank larger than a 40gal that you're going to use for it later. I think the MVB is a great idea though. We only use the Reptisun 10.0 on our tanks, just because that's all our setups will allow for.

Again, not being rude, just asking...

Tigg

Juvie Member
My very first herp was a 6 year old bearded dragon that was given to my by my cousin who attempted to rescue it, until his own health took a turn for the worse and he couldn't care for it any long.... Since then I have been hooked. In my late teens and early twenties I lived in Deland Florida and Raised a Green Iguana, a few wild caught House Gecko's, Even raised 4 3foot gators (This I can thank my neighbour who ran a very gator rescue in his backyard. I built an enclosure with his help and took some little guys off his hands) All of these were given to my neighbour before my family decided to move back to Canada. But I do know that each reptile has it's own needs, and I assure you I have done my fair share of research BEFORE taking on any new herp.

I have been out of it for quite a while now, until my wife brought me home a Hatchling BD for Christmas which she was given by one of her clients.

As for my little BD, I started taking care of him Xmas night... He was approx 4" tip to tip, and as of this past monday night is still just under 10" He seem's to have slowed down in length growth over the last 2 weeks of so and has started to really bulk up, I've been amazed at how much his head, neck, beard, and legs have grown in the last bit. Very exciting! lol

He's currently in a 20g breeder tank, and just about to outgrow it. but my 4x2x2 is not quite finished (I posted pics in the DIY forum a few days ago) and Since I normally feed inside his tank to reduce stress, I don't want to move him in too soon.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Makes sense. Thanks for answering my questions. Now I need to go check out your other post to see your enclosure you're building. I'm intrigued. :lol:

FoodMonster

Tigg":38d61 said:
D3 supplements are for dragons that don't get any exposure to UVB at all. UVB is UVB. I agree that MVB's are the best source of UVB for BD's but the Reptisun 10.0 is a close second, and still emits great levels of UVB within 20".

So assuming the set up is right (Which would also have to be checked with a MVB) and your basking area is the recommended distance from the UVB fixture... BD bodies will manifest their own D3 to help process the calcium.

Hi Tigg, just saw your posts. I believe in science too. I like to know how things work.

Cholecalciferol (D3) is synthesized in the skin from 7-dehydrocholesterol by the action of ultraviolet B (UVB) light. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

I have the Reptisun 10 and it makes my UV protecting eyeglasses turn dark when I am next to my dragon habitat. But there will always be differences of opinion on what people "need to do" to care for their dragons. No harm done as long as it's not too much supplemental D3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom