Smaugette

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
I rescued Smaug. I had no experience but researched and learned a heck of a lot. Brought this sweet girl back to health; she was dying. I've treated her for a respiratory infection. I'm an RN and definitely not a vet.
She's been sick for a few weeks with major changes: practically blind, won't eat, weight loss, dark areas, lethargic, seems to always be in a minor shedding phase. She will drink a little but use a dropper of water to supplement by letting the water drip from nose tip. Current pic attached
I am clueless at this point. I've been giving her extra Vit D3 and antibiotics used from respiratory infection. Before advising a vet visit that is unfortunately not an option 🥺 Please help! She is truly my emotional support

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
I rescued Smaug. I had no experience but researched and learned a heck of a lot. Brought this sweet girl back to health; she was dying. I've treated her for a respiratory infection. I'm an RN and definitely not a vet.
She's been sick for a few weeks with major changes: practically blind, won't eat, weight loss, dark areas, lethargic, seems to always be in a minor shedding phase. She will drink a little but use a dropper of water to supplement by letting the water drip from nose tip. Current pic attached
I am clueless at this point. I've been giving her extra Vit D3 and antibiotics used from respiratory infection. Before advising a vet visit that is unfortunately not an option 🥺 Please help! She is truly my emotional support
What uvb and basking bulb are you using? How are you measuring temps and what is the temp reaching? What size tank is she in? What is she being fed? What is being put on her salad? Have you tried crit care food? No picture was included for me.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Meds can reek havoc on their appetite. If you aren't using it already, I recommend getting some Oxbow critical care. You can get it on Amazon. They offer herbivore, omnivore and carnivore varieties. It's full of nutrition and will help with hydration also.

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)

Meds can reek havoc on their appetite. If you aren't using it already, I recommend getting some Oxbow critical care. You can get it on Amazon. They offer herbivore, omnivore and carnivore varieties. It's full of nutrition and will help with hydration also.
Thank you. I may try that. I only give her antibiotics twice before for respiratory infection, ex. one dose for 3 days. She always bounces right back.

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
I just wrote a ton of info and lost it trying to attach a couple of pictures 🙄 So, short recap...
UVB and basking light per online research and petsmart, which is not my normal go-to place for info. Both bulbs have been changed within the last 3-4 months. I have a temp/humidity thermometer in her tank. Humidity stays between 30 and 40%, and temp 91- 95°. She has a bit larger tank than recommended. She has been eating raspberries, Kale or mustard greens, and mealworms. I don't give dried foods. I use liquid calcium and Vit D3 via dropper.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
A word of advice, taste the liquid calcium yourself. I've gotten some that was horrible, my guys all refused it vehemently, when I tasted it I understood why.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
I just wrote a ton of info and lost it trying to attach a couple of pictures 🙄 So, short recap...
UVB and basking light per online research and petsmart, which is not my normal go-to place for info. Both bulbs have been changed within the last 3-4 months. I have a temp/humidity thermometer in her tank. Humidity stays between 30 and 40%, and temp 91- 95°. She has a bit larger tank than recommended. She has been eating raspberries, Kale or mustard greens, and mealworms. I don't give dried foods. I use liquid calcium and Vit D3 via dropper.
Don’t feed raspberries everyday, I’d also suggest trying different bugs!

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
What uvb and basking bulb are you using? How are you measuring temps and what is the temp reaching? What size tank is she in? What is she being fed? What is being put on her salad? Have you tried crit care food? No picture was included for me.

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
A word of advice, taste the liquid calcium yourself. I've gotten some that was horrible, my guys all refused it vehemently, when I tasted it I understood why.
Absolutely horrible, I know. I just can't get her to eat her food if I sprinkle it on. Usually I just use a dropper. I give her Vit D3 that way too. Been doing it this way for at least a year

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
I don't know why, or maybe how, to upload a picture on this site. It's usually very easy on other sites 🤷‍♀️
20231115_202537.jpg

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom