Smaugette

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
I rescued Smaug. I had no experience but researched and learned a heck of a lot. Brought this sweet girl back to health; she was dying. I've treated her for a respiratory infection. I'm an RN and definitely not a vet.
She's been sick for a few weeks with major changes: practically blind, won't eat, weight loss, dark areas, lethargic, seems to always be in a minor shedding phase. She will drink a little but use a dropper of water to supplement by letting the water drip from nose tip. Current pic attached
I am clueless at this point. I've been giving her extra Vit D3 and antibiotics used from respiratory infection. Before advising a vet visit that is unfortunately not an option 🥺 Please help! She is truly my emotional support

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
She has her head up a bit more. Brumation and small patches of shedding on going. Temp and humidity are still WNLs. She may be a tad better

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Such a sweet picture. Are you using a nebulizer to help her through respiratory issues? They don't
have cilia in their lungs so it's hard for them to clear out any debris in their lungs.
As for the vitamin D3, I would recommend giving that only 1 maybe 2 times weekly. Too much D3 can
become toxic if given in excess. What brand of calcium are you using?
I hope she is feeling better soon.

Tracie

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
Hello,

Such a sweet picture. Are you using a nebulizer to help her through respiratory issues? They don't
have cilia in their lungs so it's hard for them to clear out any debris in their lungs.
As for the vitamin D3, I would recommend giving that only 1 maybe 2 times weekly. Too much D3 can
become toxic if given in excess. What brand of calcium are you using?
I hope she is feeling better soon.

Tracie
At present she doesn't have a respiratory infection; not for a while. I only give her the Vit D3 once a week. I can't remember the name of the Calcium, so don't quote me, but maybe Flukers?
She's still not able to grab her food, aim is off and vision very impaired, and she gives up. I'm going to start dropper feeding her today.
Any suggestions on that would be welcomed!
Tx for your reply!

Smaug123

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug(ette)
I am thrilled to announce that Smaug is much better! Her vision/depth perception is the only remaining problem, and that's not likely to improve much. She's eating, drinking water, playing in the water, and giving me stink-eye once in a while 😆 The power of prayer works!
Thank you all for your advice!

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom