Not open for further replies.

Danielle8383

Hatchling Member
Approx 4 weeks old
Pic-08242012-001.jpg

and at 5 months
IMG_20121129_212425_0.jpg

Does she look too skinny?

Some can say he looks too skinny, but that's how my boy, Hermes, looked too. He always ate a ton of insects and veggies and didn't really gain any weight. He did poop a lot though! He kept on growing and growing now he's about 11 months and 19 inches long. Looks like he's finally starting to put on some weight.

Danielle8383

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She eats a ton! About 3 weeks ago she was 82 g yesterday she was 134g. I guess it won't hurt her to keep having butters :)

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Beardies all grow at different weights and rates. She looks good to me and sounds like she's gaining nicely. As long as she's eating a proper healthy diet, and she's a healthy active beardie she'll do just fine. I do have to say she is super adorable!

-Kaleen

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Oooh good choice in my opinion. I feed all 4 of my beardies dubia, I have a colony and save so much money on feeders. All I have to order is super worms, horn worms, and wax worms. It's amazing how wild they go for the dubia too. They would get excited for crickets, but when they see the roach bin coming they go crazy until I put the bowl in their cage. Once they tried the roaches they won't eat crickets anymore! And to boot they are way more nutritious for bearded dragons, or any reptiles, than crickets are. We have the colony in the house, they don't smell, and we've never had an escapee. Oh and they don't make noise either!

-Kaleen

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Not really, if you put them in a glass bowl they can't climb out and hide from the beardie. If you prefer your dragon to hunt and play you can just put them in the cage, but they do hide in furniture pretty well. My youngest PeeWee never had a problem hunting them even when he was a little guy.

-Kaleen

Danielle8383

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've been feeding her in a 28 qt tub. Can they climb out of those since they are plastic? Maybe I will just get a cheap $10 glass tank for the dubia. I was thinking of ordering her 250 1/4 dubias. Do you *think* they might last a couple weeks? She eats about 60 med/lg crickets a day. small crickets she'll eat 80-100 a day. If I can handle the dubias I'll probably start a colony but not till feb.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Danielle8383":1xfnrkfk said:
I've been feeding her in a 28 qt tub. Can they climb out of those since they are plastic? Maybe I will just get a cheap $10 glass tank for the dubia. I was thinking of ordering her 250 1/4 dubias. Do you *think* they might last a couple weeks? She eats about 60 med/lg crickets a day. small crickets she'll eat 80-100 a day. If I can handle the dubias I'll probably start a colony but not till feb.
They are extremely easy to keep, more so than crickets. We keep our colony in a large plastic rubber maid storage bin. It's large and deep. They can't climb the plastic but just in case towards the top of the tub we lined it with scotch tape, if they get that high they can't get traction on the tape and fall back down. We feed them greens that we feed our beardies, sometimes potatoes, gel cubes that you give to crickets, the roach chow that retail suppliers will give you when you purchase a colony, and every once and a while we cut up and orange, but we don't do that often because of the high acidity. Now on being enough quantity to eat for a few weeks, I think you'll just have to see how much she wants to eat ya know. I don't really pay attention to the number I feed mine a day because I just go to the bin.. If I'd have to put a number on it, PeeWee probably eats about 3-4 dozen a day..

-Kaleen

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I can not seem to keep a colony.. Spike eats them too fast. I had about 100 adult roaches.. mostly female.. and probably about 1000 roaches total. Spike has eaten everything other than the adults.. and some larger sub-adults in only one month. Now I have only large roaches and tiny babies. Your colony must be HUGE Kaleen to feed all your babies dubia. I fed Spike some super worms a few days ago.. she ate 12 the first day.. 6 the next.. now she wont eat anything at all.. and she has only pooped once.. I think shes constipated. Anyway.. any tips on how to keep Spike fed would be appreciated!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Spikeshuman":3b8n6utb said:
I can not seem to keep a colony.. Spike eats them too fast. I had about 100 adult roaches.. mostly female.. and probably about 1000 roaches total. Spike has eaten everything other than the adults.. and some larger sub-adults in only one month. Now I have only large roaches and tiny babies. Your colony must be HUGE Kaleen to feed all your babies dubia. I fed Spike some super worms a few days ago.. she ate 12 the first day.. 6 the next.. now she wont eat anything at all.. and she has only pooped once.. I think shes constipated. Anyway.. any tips on how to keep Spike fed would be appreciated!
You are correct, it took a while to build it up so I could feed out of it. The only babies that eat the roaches are Chloe, PeeWee, and Walter our savannah monitor. Also what helped out was Dooter on this forum, her name is Michelle, didn't want her colony anymore so she brought it to us. She gave us well over 1000 including a lot of adults, well after that breeding took off and has been non stop ever since then. Once you give your colony time to grow and it takes off the supply can be endless..

-Kaleen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom