coccidia??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
How do I get rid of it?? I plan on searching this site some but thought I would ask also. I want all the info I can get. I have 2 dragons in the house and I dont want the other one to get it.

MissFirefly

Hatchling Member
First question, are the dragons housed together? If so, seperate them immediately so they aren't both contaminated.

Dealt with coccidia with one of my dragons and it isn't a fun experience. I would suggest switching the substrate to paper towels so you can throw it away whenever the dragon defecates. The only cleaning products/tools that kill coccidia are steam cleaners or the pink sanitizer from bd.co as far as I'm aware so every time your dragon poops in the enclosure you want to throw away the substrate and even blast the area with a steam cleaner or use the sanitizer as instructed. You should also remove any porous directions from the tank and keep it minimal until after the medication is done. I know some people who used cardboard boxes as temporary basking spots and changed them every day during treatment.

To not cross-contaminate, I wouldn't let your dragons free roam in the same area until they both test clean.

Let me know if you have additional questions!

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MissFirefly":32iv0g42 said:
First question, are the dragons housed together? If so, seperate them immediately so they aren't both contaminated.

Dealt with coccidia with one of my dragons and it isn't a fun experience. I would suggest switching the substrate to paper towels so you can throw it away whenever the dragon defecates. The only cleaning products/tools that kill coccidia are steam cleaners or the pink sanitizer from bd.co as far as I'm aware so every time your dragon poops in the enclosure you want to throw away the substrate and even blast the area with a steam cleaner or use the sanitizer as instructed. You should also remove any porous directions from the tank and keep it minimal until after the medication is done. I know some people who used cardboard boxes as temporary basking spots and changed them every day during treatment.

To not cross-contaminate, I wouldn't let your dragons free roam in the same area until they both test clean.

Let me know if you have additional questions!

No!!! I know not to house them together :) One is a baby and the sick one is about 2 years old. They have never been out together. I am not welling to risk hurting one of our pets :)..... what kind of steam cleaner?? Do you have a link? I have a nice rock that I made him and he pooped on it today and I can't clean it. After all that work Im going to have to throw it away :( so I really like the box idea. Does it need changed daily or only if he poops on it? I was under the impression that is the only way it can spread.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MissFirefly":3tbrpr1p said:
I have this one and it works fairly well - http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-Steam-Hard-Surface-Cleaner-39N7A/dp/B001EYHAGS/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1353085190&sr=1-6&keywords=steam+cleaner

It's probably better to throw the cardboard boxes out every day or every other day as they might not poop directly on them but can drag some onto it by accident so probably better to be safer than sorry.

Didnt look at it that way. How do you clean your dragon?? Today he put his tail in it...I put him in the bath and I cleaned his tank...Is a bath good enough??

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He goes to the vet in the morning to get more meds :( hopefully they work this time. Going to look for cardboard boxes for his basking spot. Also tomorrow when I bleach I think I will pull out all tile and put paper towels down. The less there is to clean the better.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I don't think bleach kills it all the way, so beware! Also, do you know what meds the vet gave you? Albon or Toltrazuril are usually used for Coccidia I believe, but I've heard a lot of reports that the Toltrazuril is more effective and has fewer side effects

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
snazzyglasses":3hcpfpq4 said:
I don't think bleach kills it all the way, so beware! Also, do you know what meds the vet gave you? Albon or Toltrazuril are usually used for Coccidia I believe, but I've heard a lot of reports that the Toltrazuril is more effective and has fewer side effects

I dont know...will find out more tomorrow. I have read that bleach does work and that is what the vet said to use. Will talk to her about it more tomorrow. But for now here is the link where I found it is good to use. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Parasites.html

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My husband is at the vet with Puff and they are going to give him a different script for longer.. :( giving him meds is no fun but if it makes him better it will be totally worth it.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Where can I find out how hot steamers get? I want to make sure I get one that gets hot enough to kill it but they don't list the temps any where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom