Hydration SMZ/TMP coccidia diagnosis

Shana

Hi All! So, I’ve been searching a lot of the past posts regarding parasite treatment and the importance of supportive care but at this point my brain is just like mush and I need some input.

Our girl was diagnosed with a high level of coccidia (which makes me absolutely horrified because we do everything to prevent it). We noticed she seemed not herself and called her vet who ordered a fecal revealing pinworms and one coccidia. They ran a second fecal to get a sure check on coccidia and the results were high, warranting medication. I do not have the test results but will be calling tomorrow for them. I have a lot of faith in my vet but at the same time it has now been 7 days of SMZ/TMP and my girl just isn’t herself. She was eating really well until today and her energy level seems a lot lower.

I did get Benebac and started her on that Sunday, I’ve been able to get a hefty sprinkle of it into her Veggies but of course that’s not helping now that she’s not very food motivated. She doesn’t seem dehydrated but I wanted to get her to drink some water just for safe measure (we always spritz her greens with water). She wasn’t interested so i took some of our daughters honest apple juice organic no sugar added and heavily diluted it. It was enough for her to take two drops of it today.

Maybe I’m just being paranoid and worrying too much but I want to make sure I’m doing everything right. She will be done with the medication Saturday. In the interim what other things can we do to ensure hydration? She did have a few bites of some butternut squash this evening. Should i be making a slurry and adding Benebac to make sure she gets the appropriate dose? I also have reptashy grub pie, can that be utilized in some way should she continue to not be very interested in her food? She’s not losing weight which is good and she’s very alert, she had a clean bill of health prior to this- She’s about 1 year of age.

Also- we did a thorough, and i mean thorough, disinfecting with f10 the day we began the treatment and will do another very thorough Saturday. She did have one bowel movement Tuesday and her poop hardly stank at all. I was very happy with that so i think she’s headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi All! So, I’ve been searching a lot of the past posts regarding parasite treatment and the importance of supportive care but at this point my brain is just like mush and I need some input.

Our girl was diagnosed with a high level of coccidia (which makes me absolutely horrified because we do everything to prevent it). We noticed she seemed not herself and called her vet who ordered a fecal revealing pinworms and one coccidia. They ran a second fecal to get a sure check on coccidia and the results were high, warranting medication. I do not have the test results but will be calling tomorrow for them. I have a lot of faith in my vet but at the same time it has now been 7 days of SMZ/TMP and my girl just isn’t herself. She was eating really well until today and her energy level seems a lot lower.

I did get Benebac and started her on that Sunday, I’ve been able to get a hefty sprinkle of it into her Veggies but of course that’s not helping now that she’s not very good motivated. She doesn’t seem dehydrated but I wanted to get her to drink some water just for safe measure (we always spritz her greens with water). She wasn’t interested so i took some of our daughters honest apple juice organic no sugar added and heavily diluted it. It was enough for her to take two drops of it today.

Maybe I’m just being paranoid and worrying too much but I want to make sure I’m doing everything right. She will be done with the medication Saturday. In the interim what other things can we do to ensure hydration? She did have a few bites of some butternut squash this evening. Should i be making a slurry and adding Benebac to make sure she gets the appropriate dose? I also have reptashy grub pie, can that be utilized in some way should she continue to not be very interested in her food? She’s not losing weight which is good and she’s very alert, she had a clean bill of health prior to this- She’s about 1 year of age.

Also- we did a thorough, and i meant thorough, disinfecting with f10 the day we began the treatment and will do another very thorough Saturday. She did have one bowel movement Tuesday and her poop hardly stank at all. I was very happy with that so i think she’s headed in the right direction.
Flagging to Tracie the vet tech
@Drache613

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Coccidia is hard. The key is breaking it's life cycle. It has to be pooped out and reingested to multiply. That happens by them tracking through the poop and getting it into their food dish or something they lick. Clean any poop up asap, and spot sanitize after. The f10 is ammonia based and will kill coccidia but it has to be in contact for about 10 minutes to do so. Bleach will not kill it. High heat kills it also so a steam wand can work, but like ammonia it takes about 10 minutes at 200ish degrees. Once you have under control keeping the habitat as poop free as possible goes a long way in stopping outbreaks.

Shana

Original Poster
Coccidia is hard. The key is breaking it's life cycle. It has to be pooped out and reingested to multiply. That happens by them tracking through the poop and getting it into their food dish or something they lick. Clean any poop up asap, and spot sanitize after. The f10 is ammonia based and will kill coccidia but it has to be in contact for about 10 minutes to do so. Bleach will not kill it. High heat kills it also so a steam wand can work, but like ammonia it takes about 10 minutes at 200ish degrees. Once you have under control keeping the habitat as poop free as possible goes a long way in stopping outbreaks.
That's the crazy thing and what is so so frustrating. My husband and I are so very particular with keeping her enclosure clean. In fact, it's something I pride myself in so when I got the diagnosis I just about died.
We did let the f10 sit on everything for 10 minutes and I've also did a steam with our shark steamer. I may have went a bit overboard but had my husband bring every single item she has used (all stored decor, feeding tank, etc) outside and we soaked it all in f10- and of course rinsed items that need to be rinsed (food bowls, etc).
I appreciate your feedback. I want to make sure I am doing everything I possibly can.

Again, much appreciated!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That's the crazy thing and what is so so frustrating. My husband and I are so very particular with keeping her enclosure clean. In fact, it's something I pride myself in so when I got the diagnosis I just about died.
We did let the f10 sit on everything for 10 minutes and I've also did a steam with our shark steamer. I may have went a bit overboard but had my husband bring every single item she has used (all stored decor, feeding tank, etc) outside and we soaked it all in f10- and of course rinsed items that need to be rinsed (food bowls, etc).
I appreciate your feedback. I want to make sure I am doing everything I possibly can.

Again, much appreciated!
Another thing you can do is anything that won't melt or break(dishes) you can put in a 200-225 degree oven for 20 minutes or so. Nothing should survive that.
If your so on top of keeping her set up clean, you might want to consider having a vet check her for immune system problems. Pretty much all beardies carry a small load of coccidia and other stuff as well, but their immune system keeps it in check. It could be hers is off a little or something.

Shana

Original Poster
Another thing you can do is anything that won't melt or break(dishes) you can put in a 200-225 degree oven for 20 minutes or so. Nothing should survive that.
If your so on top of keeping her set up clean, you might want to consider having a vet check her for immune system problems. Pretty much all beardies carry a small load of coccidia and other stuff as well, but their immune system keeps it in check. It could be hers is off a little or something.
That’s a great idea and one I didn’t think of- I will mention that to our vet. I’ve already made the decision to not go on another round of the SMZ TMP without a second opinion and seeing the test results myself. Luckily we live outside of Baltimore and have many exotic vets within a convenient distance.
She is doing much better today. She was at the front of the glass waiting for her breakfast and ate some Dubias, basked, and came out for a little adventure.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you happen to have the original counts of the fecal showing the coccidia counts handy?
As Shana mentioned, most of the time, their normal gut flora & bacteria does contain scant amounts
of coccidia & worms which doesn't affect them. Only when it gets too high in numbers will it begin to
affect their appetites & or health.
I would definitely stick to your decision of not doing another round of the SMZ TMP which is sulfa based
& hard on the system. The benebac should hopefully help out her appetite.
Have you been keeping her warm overnight to help boost her immune system.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Shana

Original Poster
Hello,

Do you happen to have the original counts of the fecal showing the coccidia counts handy?
As Shana mentioned, most of the time, their normal gut flora & bacteria does contain scant amounts
of coccidia & worms which doesn't affect them. Only when it gets too high in numbers will it begin to
affect their appetites & or health.
I would definitely stick to your decision of not doing another round of the SMZ TMP which is sulfa based
& hard on the system. The benebac should hopefully help out her appetite.
Have you been keeping her warm overnight to help boost her immune system.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
I don't have the counts. I called them on Saturday to obtain the results and it literally says "many". I have reached out this morning to get the count and so far nothing. If I don't hear back shortly, I will be calling again because I'm not satisfied with "many", I want numbers.
Yes, we have been using her ceramic heat emitter overnight, that and the benebac must be helping. Her appetite is back to normal, fingers crossed it continues. I will definitely follow up once I get the counts! I so appreciate everyone's help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds good. How is she doing today?
If her appetite is back to normal I would say that is a great sign she's feeling better. The benebac
is most likely helping quite a bit along with the ceramic heat emitter.
Let us know how she is doing & if you hear back from the vets!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom