Clyde has a terminal illness

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Here are some ones I was looking at:

(uses olive oil)

(potentially identical to first one, uses olive oil)

(can’t find full ingredient list)

(this one has no unflavored option, only oil added is hemp seed oil)

I was also wondering about diarrhea from this. On this forum one drop of olive oil is usually recommended as a laxative to combat impaction/constipation. Clyde’s stools are already somewhat runny due to his liquid diet, would this give him diarrhea?

I guess it’s better to get a solution strong enough to where he only needs one drop of oil. @Drache613 What is your experience with the potential diarrhea?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
The GNT actually caught us by surprise. Cooper had been fighting gout for a while (nearly a year as I recall). There was testing done for that and he started on Allopurinol. Aside from the swollen joints on his fingers he didn't seem to display any symptoms. I didn't yet know enough to keep track of his weight, so I didn't notice the sudden dropoff. That's a big reason why I typically suggest that people keep a weight chart so they can track weight over time and catch any changes quickly.

There was no early identification or prognosis. One day Coop had a really black beard and just didn't seem to feel well. I brought him over to the vet and they did a blood draw. The next day he died, so he went downhill very quickly and suddenly. It was devestating to me. The vet got the blood test back after he died and it showed the telltale off the charts blood glucose level which led her to the diagnosis with quite a bit of certainty. In retrospect we think the gout was probably an early symptom. Aside from that, he was happy and energetic with a bright orange beard all the time. Even a decade later, armed with a LOT more knowledge and experience I don't think there is anything I could have done to change the outcome if I had a do-over.
I’m so sorry, that’s heartbreaking ❤️‍🩹 Clyde has gotten bloodwork done maybe 3 times this year, very expensive. High glucose didn’t show until this last panel about a week ago. He’s had intestinal issues for a long time but they never seemed to affect him much until recently when he stopped eating. No black beard or stress marks yet. I’m hoping I can keep a good eye on him so I can take him to be put down when it’s his time, I don’t want him to go through too much pain 😔

65C0EAA9-2B9D-41F7-9299-921562F4E1B7.jpeg

For now he still seems happy ❤️🥹

Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
@Drache613
So I got this one from the store, it’s not quite as strong as the example you gave but it’s organic and uses organic coconut oil.
However it is not marketed at 0% TCH which worries me. Clyde is obviously very little and I’m worried he could easily be affected by a negligible (for humans) amount of TCH. It contains less than 0.3% TCH and says it could result in a failed drug test (for humans). Is this dangerous for Clyde?

image.jpg

image.jpg

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Based on my math this would be about 0.04ml of solution, or 1.33mg CBD per day. Does that sound right? He is currently 434g. Online says to start with 0.1mg per pound of body weight (would be about 0.096 mg for Clyde I think) and work up to more, but that is for general reptile use not cancer patients, so I would assume Clyde could start with more?

Let me know which brand is best in your opinion, I want to get him on this asap!

I also did message you! I used to “conversation” function hope that’s right.
@Drache613 hey Tracie! Online recommends 0.1-0.25 mg per pound (Clyde is just under a pound so about 0.09-0.2 mg per day) but you recommend about 1.33 mg for Clyde which is 10 times more. Just let me know what you think! And I’m going to have to buy online because the one I got has trace amounts of TCH which isn’t safe for him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you are correct for the dosing, overall & you must have found the same dosing information I
am referring to also.
I may have just written that wrong, I was just referring to the overall strength of the solution that we
have per ml, but not implying that would be how much he would be getting! So sorry. The chart that
I refer to is the same one you stated, it recommends .25mg per pound of body weight in most cases
but Reptiles have a more delicate system so I would start at the .1mg per pound of body weight to be
sure that he handles it well. As far as any diarrhea, etc from the use the few people who have used
CBD haven't reported any side effects such as that.
He weighs .9 of a pound, so dosing him on a solution that is 33.33mg/ml would only be .002ML of the
solution we have. So, I would give 1-2 drops, which would be plenty. Our CBD has essentially zero
THC & is certified through Texas labs.
I will check my messages, too. :)

@xp29---- I don't sleep much!! LOL

Tracie

Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
He weighs .9 of a pound, so dosing him on a solution that is 33.33mg/ml would only be .002ML of the solution we have. So, I would give 1-2 drops, which would be plenty. Our CBD has essentially zero THC & is certified through Texas labs.
I think the “drop” is where our dosing varies. A drop is usually 0.03-0.05 ml of solution. So 0.002ml is a challengingly small amount to give. So 0.002ml is about 4% of a singular drop of liquid.

I was able to find an organic 0% TCH CBD oil that is lower in strength though so that should help! Clyde seems okay but he did have some upper body wiggling this morning, I fear it’s nausea :( maybe the CBD oil can help with that…

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, a drop can greatly vary! It is very hard to determine the size so you would literally have
to weigh it possibly to get it exact. I am glad you were able to find some CBD oil then. It should
help out for his nausea, yes. Start slowly & keep at the same amount given for at least a week &
if you don't see any side effects you can increase slightly for him. Really, if it doesn't have any THC
in it, if a little extra is given I do not think he will have any type of negative side effects.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hello,

Yes, a drop can greatly vary! It is very hard to determine the size so you would literally have
to weigh it possibly to get it exact. I am glad you were able to find some CBD oil then. It should
help out for his nausea, yes. Start slowly & keep at the same amount given for at least a week &
if you don't see any side effects you can increase slightly for him. Really, if it doesn't have any THC
in it, if a little extra is given I do not think he will have any type of negative side effects.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
Most CBD oil on the market for humans and pets is less than 0.3%, the one I got for Clyde is third-party tested at less than 0.01%, so as low as it gets!

He has been doing about the same for a while now. Poops are looking better and bigger now that he is on beardie buffet and Fluker’s! So that’s good. I’m going to start tracking his weight more, he doesn’t look any thinner yet. Energy is still good, mostly basks all day but when I put him in his hide at night he will get himself up to bask in the morning, which is a good sign to me. Ceramic bulb is on to keep his tank warmer at night (usually wouldn’t this time of year). And he is still very invested in his window time <3

Attachments

• 04F8D3ED-490A-4000-831A-CFFA65B26B7D.jpeg
    04F8D3ED-490A-4000-831A-CFFA65B26B7D.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 46
  • A8D7A6B7-2D58-4C0D-A79E-900E408B8A8C.jpeg
    A8D7A6B7-2D58-4C0D-A79E-900E408B8A8C.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 55
  • AE9DE8B0-6158-41BF-89F6-2837DB5F2B53.jpeg
    AE9DE8B0-6158-41BF-89F6-2837DB5F2B53.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 4BED891F-3B37-4D44-B682-D2C8327888A7.jpeg
    4BED891F-3B37-4D44-B682-D2C8327888A7.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 45

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Clyde looks really happy there, how is he doing today?
It looks like he loves being in the windowsill too, most of them tend to.
His beard isn't dark at all, so that's great!
That CBD will be fine. It really is virtually impossible to get zero THC in but there are certain
standards followed when doing CBD. I hope that it helps out for him. Let us know how things
are going.

Tracie

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Feeling less hopeful today. Clyde’s upper brow is becoming flatter, which I noticed a while ago but is only getting worse as he loses weight. I’ve been nervous to check weight but did today. Unfortunately he’s now at just 404grams.

He was 434grams at the vet on the 23rd of May. That’s just so fast. I can try to feed him more but I’m giving the same amount that House of Pancakes (instagramer who rescues beardies) gives to start bulking new rescues up. It must be the cancer itself that is making him lose the weight so fast because his poops have gotten bigger and every 2 days, very normal amount.

It takes me about an hour and a half to feed him every day, he runs away and smears it off when he can. So he doesn’t like eating. Poor baby must be nauseous.

I wasn’t sure how long I had but with this weight loss I fear I only have another week. Here’s a photo of him looking grumpy today.

Attachments

• 780C53ED-1542-491E-AD4D-10841867ACBA.jpeg
    780C53ED-1542-491E-AD4D-10841867ACBA.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 44

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm so sorry to hear that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gosh, it's never good hearing news like that. Do your best with him, I know he is appreciative
of your love & attention of him. They can sometimes really surprise you.
Does he seem to be doing ok on the CBD that you can tell?
It is emotionally turbulent having to go through any of this I know. He does look content though &
doesn't appear to be in pain or distress in the picture. Please keep us posted on him.
Remind me, what exactly is in the food you are giving him?

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom