Beardie Juvie not eating, only basking

Crouton_The_Beardie

Beardie name(s)
Crouton
Hello - My new beardie, Crouton, has been sitting on his basking spot for the past 2 days. The only time he got off of it was to sleep in his hide, which I had to put him there. I’ve offered him bugs and plants multiple times and he has barely batted an eye. I am unable to tell if he’s just not comfortable yet in his new home or if there’s another issue? //Petsmart baby, will let me pet him for short time, carry him, and has only been mad once at me (tail up/alert)
Please help!

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Typically relocation stress. I would also suggest to not pet him or carry him around right now even if he allows. I'm not sure if I understand you correctly: You put him in his hide for sleeping?

How are you offering food? Mine has taken food including insects from a bowl/dish a long time before from tweezers or my hands.

Tail up is not mad but a sign of being alert, liking to explore and being in a good mood. Mad, sad, not feeling well, generally negative emotions are shown with grey spots on the underside ("stress marks", you might look up images with that term for comparison), and more extreme (angry at a person or an animal, defends itself) is suddenly puffing up including beard and even hissing or attempting to bite.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello - My new beardie, Crouton, has been sitting on his basking spot for the past 2 days. The only time he got off of it was to sleep in his hide, which I had to put him there. I’ve offered him bugs and plants multiple times and he has barely batted an eye. I am unable to tell if he’s just not comfortable yet in his new home or if there’s another issue? //Petsmart baby, will let me pet him for short time, carry him, and has only been mad once at me (tail up/alert)
Please help!
As stated relocation stress but most importantly the UVB and surface basking temps MUST be on par --- in order to rule that out we need to go over your tank lighting along w/ surface basking temps and how your getting them

Crouton_The_Beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Crouton
Typically relocation stress. I would also suggest to not pet him or carry him around right now even if he allows. I'm not sure if I understand you correctly: You put him in his hide for sleeping?

How are you offering food? Mine has taken food including insects from a bowl/dish a long time before from tweezers or my hands.

Tail up is not mad but a sign of being alert, liking to explore and being in a good mood. Mad, sad, not feeling well, generally negative emotions are shown with grey spots on the underside ("stress marks", you might look up images with that term for comparison), and more extreme (angry at a person or an animal, defends itself) is suddenly puffing up including beard and even hissing or attempting to bite.
Yes, should I not put him in his hide to sleep? He never explores and only stays in his basking spot but he’s currently sleeping in his basking spot (11:25pm, of course the light is off.) so I thought he may like to be on the ground and in a safer spot last night.
I feed him with bowl offer, tweezers and sometimes let the bugs roam around him (I collect them after since he doesn’t eat and I don’t want him stressed.) Is it possible he’s just not interested in crickets or the current veggies?

Crouton_The_Beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Crouton
Yes, should I not put him in his hide to sleep? He never explores and only stays in his basking spot but he’s currently sleeping in his basking spot (11:25pm, of course the light is off.) so I thought he may like to be on the ground and in a safer spot last night.
I feed him with bowl offer, tweezers and sometimes let the bugs roam around him (I collect them after since he doesn’t eat and I don’t want him stressed.) Is it possible he’s just not interested in crickets or the current veggies?
As stated relocation stress but most importantly the UVB and surface basking temps MUST be on par --- in order to rule that out we need to go over your tank lighting along w/ surface basking temps and how your getting
has a 100 watt bulb (It’s not the best one, Zoo Med basking bulb) and I’m soon upgrading to a T5 UVB soon but that’s also just a bulb. (Zoo Med.) Measuring by Temp Gun, Basking lamp is on screen and the spot is 100.
has a 100 watt bulb (It’s not the best one, Zoo Med basking bulb) and I’m soon upgrading to a T5 UVB soon but that’s also just a bulb. (Zoo Med.) Measuring by Temp Gun, Basking lamp is on screen and the basking spot is 100.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I would not recommend putting a pet/ animal which is able to do this on its own into his hide to sleep. He can explore and decide on its own :)
(It would be differently for a pet who has a disability and isn't able to get around, or belonging to a species depending on their parents. For a bearded dragon, you don't have to simulate being a parent.)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom