ceramic heat emitters

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes if the wattage fitts the size of te tank you should take a temp reading of the tank after 10 hours of use weith the animal in a seperate enclosure so if it is too high it dosent fry the animal if in is low 70 60 it is fine but any higher i would change the bulb to a lower watt use a heating pad if you have a glass tank

What size is your tank and bulb thank you

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
I am sorry cbslideguy but using a heating pad in or under a tank is not recomended for proper heating of a beardie, especially under a beardie. They don't have very good sensory abilities on the tummy to detect heat. They feel it from above heat.

I went to a school of herptology and have learned alot about bearded dragons and personally own 3 of them if you have a small heating pad how will it burn them threw the substrate and u can stick it to the side of the tank but u are thinking about heat rocks and yes thoose are dangerous

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
cbslideguy":109c7 said:
if in is low 70 60 it is fine but any higher i would change the bulb to a lower watt
I'm confused by this, could you explain what you mean by 70 60?

o i am sorry i tht u knew at night during the day it should be 100 degrees at their basking spot and the temp at night should be spread throught the tank the same every where and 80 or 90 in other parts of the tank during the day

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
jayc, if the room temp doesn't drop below 65 at night, then you won't need any artificial heating. You can use a CHE during the day, but they do better with a bright white basking light. Sometimes a low wattage CHE is used alongside a basking bulb to help raise the temps a little. For a basking area, you want temps of about 100 to 110 but no higher because it could cause dehydration. Babies tend to like the 110 temp and adults seem to prefer the cooler ones at 95 to about 105. You also have to make sure that you are using either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end as those are the only 2 ways to get an accurate reading.

You could use a heating pad on the side of the tank if needed, but they aren't recommended on the bottom of the tank as they can overheat and your beardie could get burned. They test heat by the 3rd eye on top of their heads, so you have to be very careful when using something underneath them even if a substrate is over top of the heatpad. Hopefully your question was answered. :wink:

jayc

Original Poster
still not sure how it can burn my beardie...i have a thick layer of sand underneath and the sand doesnt seem to get hot enough to burn them. How sensitive are there bellys? Another question..is it ok to put a undertank heater under the basking spot? providing it doesnt get hotter then what it should be?

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
It is more of a worry that they can over heat because they cant tell that they are hot and need to get in to the shade, rather than it buring them. They move from verious heat gradents to control body temp. In the wild they do sit in the sun on rocks that have been heated by the sun. But the sun is beeting down on them too so they can feel that they are getting to warm and move. So if the temps coming from above is lower than the temp theya re sitting on it can cause them to over heat with out know it because the sensors they have are on top of the head not on the belly. The only time that you would want to heat the tank under them is in a parasite sit. Where you have set up an "Hospital tank" and they need heat on the belly to help get rid of the coccidia, and even then they have to be constantly monitered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom