Length of UVB for 120gal tank?

Zucchini

Original Poster
We just ordered the dubia.com 120 gallon tank for our year old dragon Nora. We currently have a 40 Gallon tank that has a 24" reptisun 10.0 T5 HO fixture and bulb. Would it be ok if we used that in the new tank or does she need something longer? Does anyone have any design ideas? I want stuff for her to climb on but its hard to know what's safe.

Attachments

• 20231209_135956.jpg
    20231209_135956.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 42

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We just ordered the dubia.com 120 gallon tank for our year old dragon Nora. We currently have a 40 Gallon tank that has a 24" reptisun 10.0 T5 HO fixture and bulb. Would it be ok if we used that in the new tank or does she need something longer? Does anyone have any design ideas? I want stuff for her to climb on but its hard to know what's safe.
Yes I use the 24" in my two 120 gallon tanks- put it inside directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches-- if your artistic you can make decor - look outside but it must be baked before use or PetSmart has nice decor for dragons

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
One 24" uvb is perfect. Put it on the left or right side. Your choice, but make sure it's paired up on the same side with bulbs that produces heat such as a Halogen or incandescent. They are a team! A double dome fixture with two 75w is a good starting point but if you find yourself dimming it too much because the overall ambient temps are just too high, try 50w instead. These bulb produce helpful infrared A and B this is the part of the sun that is warming.

You are basically trying to replicate a "patch of sun" on his basking area that he can run in and out of as needed. I recommend two basking bulbs because one doesn't fully cover the whole animal and its not as ideal..

Also please remember these animals come from the bright dessert. It's minimal in my opinion to have everything mentioned thus far, but it is really quite dim in their eyes... if you can swing it I highly recommend a 36 inch led light bar from Arcadia placed on the basking side as well, overlapping into cool side. If you can swing it they also have a 48 inch one too that will cover the whole top perfectly.

Summary: lighting is a team effort!
Player 1= Halogen IRA IRB heats animal
Player 2= T5 UVB and some UVA prevents bone disease
Player 3= LED visible light spectrum promote basking and more energy, better mood.

There's actually a Player 4 too. But it's hard to achieve in captivity at this time..with what is available to most in my opinion so I leave that out.

Here's a great video on the subject that has really helped me..

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom