Broly the new super saiyan beardie

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Babies are little spaz's and like I said before, it took Finn a couple months to get used to me, he would puff up his beard and open his mouth at me eveytime I tried to hold him, see:

It will take a while, it's not that he doesn't want you or doesn't like you. Each beardie is different, so me settle right down others like Finn, take quite a while. Just keep working with him.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I will...he ate 10 roaches again..

So he's still a bit skittish but does allow petting.

I'm beginning to think the owners didn't even
try holding him as a baby. Just feed and walk away.
I'm continuing to give baths so he stays clean. I catch him (without bolting) slowly with both my hands and cupped him taking him to the bowl of water. He then spazzes like I put him in a bowl of acid he does quickly calm down and watch TV, Married...with Children was on at the time so he happily sat in the warm water watching the TV. I don't know if he sees the actual things on TV or just liking the colors.

I will update his status on handling, I get lucky and catch him in one go without bolts or he does and I leave him alone.

With Vash it took him about 3 weeks before I was able to hold him without the running off part that I went through.
So I understand he may take longer but he's not completely afraid as I was able to put my hand in he bolts without anyone touching him. Now I can put my hand in and he doesnt just bolt he waits till you try to pick him up LOL.

Thanks Liz.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
He had a bath and breakfast. He will eat lunch soon with vitamin. Tomorrow we'll see how much he weighs. He didn't eat any bugs today, his mouth is shedding so he doesn't really want to eat too much. Plus, he ate skin coming off his mouth. I toss in 15 but he hasn't touched them every time so I just get them back in their tank.

He pooped...white urate and poop is good texture no potent smell or runny. Doesnt look grainy or anything.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
He ate about 9 crix better than the usual 6-8.

He gets excited to see a small glass bowl when I place it
in the tank. He hungrily waits for his bug meal. He's doing well excited to see if his weight goes up he's not too happy to see the scale, he sees it as the most unattractive thing I do every week or he will eventually. He let me pick him out of the bowl after he was finished with the crix. I had 15 but interested in 9 of them instead. I do have baby food if he runs out of the crix..it's not too bad. At least, I have a back up, some people have to run out and get it. He's shedding faster than any beardie I've known. Pretty sure he isn't a danger to have him grow quickly right? I've heard of a dragon growing too rapidly and it caused it to have health issues. Is that really true? I know german giants grow a bit rapidly but remain healthy. My female cricket that got picked up out of the store is already pregnant (using pet store bugs for now giving others time to grow) so she's with my breeders. I never had unhealthy crix from them before. It can't hurt. I asked for medium crickets so I guess she got thrown in on accident or she grew and they didn't know.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's great that he ate 9 crickets. Hope he'll continue to increase his bugs consumption.

Yes, babies can die if they grow too quickly. It'd be like us humans gorging on food until we're morbidly obese, then suffer from organ failures. Broly is far from that point, trust me. Babies are supposed to be in a constant shed. That's how you can tell if they're eating properly and growing up.

Stop finding faults in your baby and just enjoy him.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I was only curious about the rapid growing rate.
I have never heard of it. I didn't say he has it. I wasn't
implying that he had, if I did come off that way, Im sorry.
He's growing at normal speed just isn't a fan of crickets. I got mini supers though give those a try tomorrow. Can I spray vitamin on them or is that not a good idea?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sure, calcium or vit, whichever is due that day is fine. And he's such a healthy little guy. I have a friend who has a little guy younger than Broly, he's starting to eat more and more as he gets to feel more comfy at his new home. He's also always in shed, so that's completely normal. It's been so long since I've had a baby, I've forgotten the constant shedding. I'm looking forward to Nathaniel and Castiel starting to shed. So far Nathaniel has done his eyes and part of his beard and Castiel has done is eyes. I think he's going to start his nose, soon. Adults are so much bits and pieces :lol:

I'm sure he'll like the mini supers, they'll be very healthy for him. Castiel ate over 100 crix on Tuesday, hasn't touched hardly any food since then, so this am I fed him babyfood and Carnivore Care as I made that up for Puff, too. I hope the little guy starts eating soon, he's gained 11g but he's still so little!

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I did weigh him and he's 17 grams...after all that (after poop) he gained 1 gram...1 week and 1 gram. I decided well better than 1 gram lost each week. Then again that's probably his eating habit being bad. I gave him mustards for breakfast as I had to go to the store, sprayed vitamin on them...gonna give some worms to up the weight. Hopefully he gains more than 1 gram next Saturday.

He was 16g on Feb 14.
17 today the 21.

Happy it's up not down.

Poop update: white urate and good texture.

I got a new plastic tub so I will use that for baths instead of the glass bowl. No toothbrush though. She says the virus is off the toothbrush so use it on him.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am telling you hun, you are going to drive yourself crazy stressing over every little thing. I honestly don't know how you enjoy him with all you worry about over him. I can understand after the passing of Vash but, Vash lived to a ripe old age for a beardie. Alucard, I am sure you got sick and it showed up a while after you got him. Stop stressing over everything. You will make yourself sick. I may sound mean here but, I am not trying to be Its like every little thing has to be reported, and your actions with him reinforced. Kami just relax and enjoy him. I don't want to see you sick with worry and stress, it takes its toll and can make you sick. None of us want that for you. Broly will grow, on his schedule just like all of ours grew on their schedule. We cant force it.

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Goonie":3fhcli44 said:
That's great that he ate 9 crickets. Hope he'll continue to increase his bugs consumption.

Yes, babies can die if they grow too quickly. It'd be like us humans gorging on food until we're morbidly obese, then suffer from organ failures. Broly is far from that point, trust me. Babies are supposed to be in a constant shed. That's how you can tell if they're eating properly and growing up.

Stop finding faults in your baby and just enjoy him.

sorry to hijack a bit but can you go into more detail please. i got a little guy who has been eating more and more each feeding he is a little over 7 inches and ate 35 crickets today (20 for breakfast 15 for dinner) and looks to be going into a full body shed (everything but the tail and head as those just shed) but the thought of him growing to quickly worried me

and on topic our guys have one thing in common the name inspiration as my little guy is named Nova after Nova shenron :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's normal for dragons to eat alot when they're small, as they do their full growth in their 1st year, the 2nd year it's just maybe a bit longer and fill in for weight. So both of your babies are normal for eating. When they get to be 5-6 months, they eat even more as 5-12 mo is when they really grow.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like Broly is doing well. Hope you can relax more & enjoy him. :wink: One thing I did want to mention is that beardies are very smart & pick up on everything. So, if you are stressed or worried, he can certainly sense it. So, take a deep breath and enjoy your little guy as he won't stay young long. :p

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
No, you're right, he won't. Still need that tape measurer.

I come to find I am absolutely lazy about finding it.

I hope everyone is having an ok Sunday. It's a lazy day for me, feed, bathe (for Broly) and ice cream for me.

I don't know what else to say. Probably nothing else unless a volcano wrecking havoc...I might though if anybody asks.
If not, then whatever. I'm not gonna bore you all with my life story so uhm...bye? I don't know. Whatever you wanna know just ask I suppose.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
He's better at handling, I took him out twice. He didn't struggle like he usually or he's tired. Usually happens between 4&7pm so it may have been just not wanting to try. He did poop in the bath so that was a big surprise! He usually doesnt do it there. I may have potty trained another :D.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom