Beardie Has Eaten Sprayed Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
We bombed the house last night with some pesticide, and my beardie managed to find a dead roach and eat it before I could stop her. Is this gonna harm her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It probably depends on the toxin used and how much was still in the roaches system. Do you have activated charcoal on hand? I suggest administering activated charcoal to help move the toxin through. You can also try a slurry of water and cilantro which may help. If you have an emergency vet nearby who has experience treating bearded dragons they may be able to help as well.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1s4v71k2 said:
It probably depends on the toxin used and how much was still in the roaches system. Do you have activated charcoal on hand? I suggest administering activated charcoal to help move the toxin through. You can also try a slurry of water and cilantro which may help. If you have an emergency vet nearby who has experience treating bearded dragons they may be able to help as well.

I gave her some activated charcoal mixed with water, the vet here does not take reptiles. I also don't have a car to get to one that does, nor have anyone who would probably be willing to take me.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've seen the how surface sprays effect wild skinks who have eaten dead / dying roaches that have been in contact with the toxins , they seem to become hypo for while , but I also think that these skinks build up a tolerance to the toxins.

I'd keep a close on your dragon for the next few days, and any signs of odd behavior will be a strong cue to take her to a reptile vet.

I would rather put up with roaches and spiders in the house than risk my pet skinks and dragon by using roach bombs or surface sprays , I do sometimes lay roach baits when the roaches get too "friendly". Been years since I used surface sprays and bombs are too darned risky (they are a fire risk - it only takes one spark ).
I also keep feeder insects in the house = super worms, mealworms, silkworms, BSFL, crickets and don't want to risk the residual vapours killing my bug supply.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I also don't have a car to get to one that does, nor have anyone who would probably be willing to take me.
In the event you need it, is Uber/Lyft or a taxi an option? Always good to explore options now so in the event of a crisis so that you don't have that do deal with too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheBeardedSaint":1r2hbtdl said:
….., the vet here does not take reptiles. I also don't have a car to get to one that does, nor have anyone who would probably be willing to take me.

How do you get around to go grocery shopping, to school, to work, to socialize ?

What town are you in ? maybe we can find a reptile vet who is nearby for you if you tell us town and zip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom