Introducing Cleo - 9 months - our first reptile!

CRene

Beardie name(s)
Ace
Hi all,

This forum has been so helpful as we figure our life with our new girl, Cleo. My 10 year old son is her primary person in theory but it's a lot to learn and I work from home so -- it's really me. She is from a local-ish breeder recommended by a local reptile rescue. She was very socialized before we got her a couple of weeks ago so has never shown any fear of us, at least never hesitating to be touched or backing away. I'm not sure she actually LIKES us, though.

Enclosure. We learned quickly that our 48x12 tank wasn't ideal so we just upgraded to 4x2x2 and we allllmost have the temperature all figured out. We have a tube UVB and 150 watt basking light on 13 hours/day; we have been leaving a ceramic heat light on all the time, but I'm not sure that's necessary. It's never under 73-75 on the cool spot. Our house is never under maybe 64 at the lowest. Our temp readings on her basking spot have been a bit all over the place and now I'm questioning if my temp gun is varying based on how far I am from the target spot.

Activity level. She is really stationary in her tank. She does go to a cool hammock at night to sleep, but she spends almost all day just hanging on her basking spot or close to it. She moved tanks 2x in two weeks so maybe it's just an adjustment period? Is it not warm enough?? We've been taking her out 2x a day for about 30 minutes. She fields the perimeter of wherever she is, or if at my kiddo's bedtime she crawls under a stuffed animal to snooze.

Food. I feel like she should be eating more... Her first day here she ate 16 dubias in about 10 minutes but she hasn't eaten that volume again. I can get her to eat some salad now but not very much. She has had collard greens, bok choy, basil, mint. She hasn't enjoyed the non-greens I've offered like butternut squash or pepper. Usually she eats a few pieces of salad in the AM then a roach or two, maybe a worm or roach or two again in the PM.

Baths. She does seem to LOVE baths (and pooping in baths). We found out without meaning to that she loves running into a shower as well. We had a bowl set on the shower floor and she opted to explore more. The two times we've done it, she relishes in her her bath bowl before pooping in it, then I boot her to clean it and she runs to hang out under the spray of the overhead shower. Yes, we deal with cleaning up well. She seems to only drink when in a bath. I've been surprised she will put her face under now and then.

Breathing concern? I feel like she's breathing deeper than I'd expect. Her sides move a LOT when she's just hanging out.

Anyway that's where are as of yet. If I'm doing anything horribly wrong please let me know! I appreciate any help.

Rene

Attachments

• IMG_5105.jpg
    IMG_5105.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 34
  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5179.jpg
    IMG_5179.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4972.jpg
    IMG_4972.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 29

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all,

This forum has been so helpful as we figure our life with our new girl, Cleo. My 10 year old son is her primary person in theory but it's a lot to learn and I work from home so -- it's really me. She is from a local-ish breeder recommended by a local reptile rescue. She was very socialized before we got her a couple of weeks ago so has never shown any fear of us, at least never hesitating to be touched or backing away. I'm not sure she actually LIKES us, though.

Enclosure. We learned quickly that our 48x12 tank wasn't ideal so we just upgraded to 4x2x2 and we allllmost have the temperature all figured out. We have a tube UVB and 150 watt basking light on 13 hours/day; we have been leaving a ceramic heat light on all the time, but I'm not sure that's necessary. It's never under 73-75 on the cool spot. Our house is never under maybe 64 at the lowest. Our temp readings on her basking spot have been a bit all over the place and now I'm questioning if my temp gun is varying based on how far I am from the target spot.

Activity level. She is really stationary in her tank. She does go to a cool hammock at night to sleep, but she spends almost all day just hanging on her basking spot or close to it. She moved tanks 2x in two weeks so maybe it's just an adjustment period? Is it not warm enough?? We've been taking her out 2x a day for about 30 minutes. She fields the perimeter of wherever she is, or if at my kiddo's bedtime she crawls under a stuffed animal to snooze.

Food. I feel like she should be eating more... Her first day here she ate 16 dubias in about 10 minutes but she hasn't eaten that volume again. I can get her to eat some salad now but not very much. She has had collard greens, bok choy, basil, mint. She hasn't enjoyed the non-greens I've offered like butternut squash or pepper. Usually she eats a few pieces of salad in the AM then a roach or two, maybe a worm or roach or two again in the PM.

Baths. She does seem to LOVE baths (and pooping in baths). We found out without meaning to that she loves running into a shower as well. We had a bowl set on the shower floor and she opted to explore more. The two times we've done it, she relishes in her her bath bowl before pooping in it, then I boot her to clean it and she runs to hang out under the spray of the overhead shower. Yes, we deal with cleaning up well. She seems to only drink when in a bath. I've been surprised she will put her face under now and then.

Breathing concern? I feel like she's breathing deeper than I'd expect. Her sides move a LOT when she's just hanging out.

Anyway that's where are as of yet. If I'm doing anything horribly wrong please let me know! I appreciate any help.

Rene
Welcome Rene - please limit baths - the running under the shower could cause her breathing in water thus causing a RI- please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate - surface basking temps should be 95-100 ambient around 100 hot side - daytime cool side 80ish- uvb this is crucial - what brand and bulb from the fixture it looks like a coil tube- you want a long tube fixture like a zoo med or Arcadia pro T 5 or sunblaster nano tech I can post links for those - she should be eating a lot more - basking temps and uvb will effect eating those must be correct

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Welcome to the community. You got yourself a beautiful girl right there :)

They don't like moving tanks, might be she's still adjusting.

She looks a decent size (on the pictures at least) for a nine months old, I dont think you need to feed her bugs twice a day. Once a day and maybe even a day without bugs per week should be fine. After adjusting to the new tank she should be right back to eating a bunch of those roaches :)

If the basking spot is too hot she will avoid sitting right in the center of the beam. Let her behaviour guide you towards her desired temps.
From what you write, you can safely go without the che. Those are only for nighttime heat if temps get below 65. At daytime you want all heat comming from the lights. They are dessert animals, they like as much brightness as possible.

CRene

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
Welcome Rene - please limit baths - the running under the shower could cause her breathing in water thus causing a RI- please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate - surface basking temps should be 95-100 ambient around 100 hot side - daytime cool side 80ish- uvb this is crucial - what brand and bulb from the fixture it looks like a coil tube- you want a long tube fixture like a zoo med or Arcadia pro T 5 or sunblaster nano tech I can post links for those - she should be eating a lot more - basking temps and uvb will effect eating those must be correct
Thank you! I was curious about the baths. We will limit to weekly and without overhead water? Our UVB is a tube Arcadia HO T5 12% so we got that part covered after reading on here — you just can’t see it because it is mounted inside. I attached a picture where I think you can see it. Hopefully it looks OK? I’m hoping another day in the new tank gets her going with activity and eating. She has me worried. A link for a good thermometer would be appreciated!! it is so hard to find good info, so I appreciate your time.

Attachments

• IMG_5190.jpeg
    IMG_5190.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 25

CRene

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
Thank you! I was curious about the baths. We will limit to weekly and without overhead water? Our UVB is a tube Arcadia HO T5 12% so we got that part covered after reading on here — you just can’t see it because it is mounted inside. I attached a picture where I think you can see it. Hopefully it looks OK? I’m hoping another day in the new tank gets her going with activity and eating. She has me worried. A link for a good thermometer would be appreciated!! it is so hard to find good info, so I appreciate your time.
She had 10 mediums for dinner! Woo!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get a piece of decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches -the distance is too far you will need to drop it down some and get your decor piece distance to the 12-15 inches-- zoo med thermometers are cheaper on line its up to you where you want to get them -
Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart

CRene

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ace
Welcome to the community. You got yourself a beautiful girl right there :)

They don't like moving tanks, might be she's still adjusting.

She looks a decent size (on the pictures at least) for a nine months old, I dont think you need to feed her bugs twice a day. Once a day and maybe even a day without bugs per week should be fine. After adjusting to the new tank she should be right back to eating a bunch of those roaches :)

If the basking spot is too hot she will avoid sitting right in the center of the beam. Let her behaviour guide you towards her desired temps.
From what you write, you can safely go without the che. Those are only for nighttime heat if temps get below 65. At daytime you want all heat comming from the lights. They are dessert animals, they like as much brightness as possible.
Thanks!! I her basking spot was hot enough, so I was adding in the ceramic heater but good to know for overnight. Thank you!!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom