5yo Beardie dealing with respiratory issue?

danbert

Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Hello all,

This is my first post here though I've been reading the forums for the last couple years. I've found a lot of great information and I'm really glad this community is here.

So my beardie, Bowser, is a little over five years old. He's never been excessively energetic, and check-ins with the vet have found that he dealt with parasite issues and maybe other things early on in his life due to his quality of care (I didn't get him until he was about 8 months old). We took care of the parasite issue a few years back, thankfully.

He is now dealing with an issue that's been ongoing for about the past two months. His beard has stayed black to medium gray ever since it started, and he often opens his mouth and keeps it open. My assumption is that he's doing this to breathe easier; he will even do it from time to time as he sleeps. His energy level seems to be on the low end, though on some of the warmer, sunnier days, he will have plenty of energy to run around (he enjoys looking out the windows and we have ramps and boxes for him to do so) and bob his head a lot.

He's not eating much, though he does deal with some slowing of the metabolism during the winter (despite trying to get him to fully avoid brumation, shorter daylight and slightly cooler room temperatures still trigger it a bit) and a certain degree of that seems to be expected. Every once in a while (maybe every couple weeks) he'll eat a few superworms or a dubia roach or two. His primary diet has been Critical Care every two to three days (10ml per feeding) since he shows little to no interest in eating on his own, and I switch off between the Herbivore and the Carnivore. He'll also eat some small apple slices and a blackberry or two every few days.

I know there are a number of threads regarding beardies with respiratory issues and I've tried some of the suggestions from them:
- Increasing his water intake. He will drink while in the bath every once in a while but I supplement that with water from an oral syringe, 1-2ml per day.
- Keeping him a little warmer at night. Using a heating pad set to the low-mid 80s, as opposed to the normal nighttime temp of about 70 in the house.

I did try the antibiotic Baytril (0.04ml/day x 14 days) for this issue and clearly it's something else, as it had no noticeable effect on his behavior or color.

I apologize if I've missed something in another forum post that might shed some light on this problem. Regardless, any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated.

-Dan

P.S. I did load current setup specs into my profile, but just so it's here too...
Basking spot: 102 degrees, about 8" from source to Bowser. Cool areas: 75, heating pad 82-85. Basking spot on 12hr/day.

Attachments

• 20240326_132226[1].jpg
    20240326_132226[1].jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240326_132855[1]_1.mp4
    4.7 MB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all,

This is my first post here though I've been reading the forums for the last couple years. I've found a lot of great information and I'm really glad this community is here.

So my beardie, Bowser, is a little over five years old. He's never been excessively energetic, and check-ins with the vet have found that he dealt with parasite issues and maybe other things early on in his life due to his quality of care (I didn't get him until he was about 8 months old). We took care of the parasite issue a few years back, thankfully.

He is now dealing with an issue that's been ongoing for about the past two months. His beard has stayed black to medium gray ever since it started, and he often opens his mouth and keeps it open. My assumption is that he's doing this to breathe easier; he will even do it from time to time as he sleeps. His energy level seems to be on the low end, though on some of the warmer, sunnier days, he will have plenty of energy to run around (he enjoys looking out the windows and we have ramps and boxes for him to do so) and bob his head a lot.

He's not eating much, though he does deal with some slowing of the metabolism during the winter (despite trying to get him to fully avoid brumation, shorter daylight and slightly cooler room temperatures still trigger it a bit) and a certain degree of that seems to be expected. Every once in a while (maybe every couple weeks) he'll eat a few superworms or a dubia roach or two. His primary diet has been Critical Care every two to three days (10ml per feeding) since he shows little to no interest in eating on his own, and I switch off between the Herbivore and the Carnivore. He'll also eat some small apple slices and a blackberry or two every few days.

I know there are a number of threads regarding beardies with respiratory issues and I've tried some of the suggestions from them:
- Increasing his water intake. He will drink while in the bath every once in a while but I supplement that with water from an oral syringe, 1-2ml per day.
- Keeping him a little warmer at night. Using a heating pad set to the low-mid 80s, as opposed to the normal nighttime temp of about 70 in the house.

I did try the antibiotic Baytril (0.04ml/day x 14 days) for this issue and clearly it's something else, as it had no noticeable effect on his behavior or color.

I apologize if I've missed something in another forum post that might shed some light on this problem. Regardless, any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated.

-Dan

P.S. I did load current setup specs into my profile, but just so it's here too...
Basking spot: 102 degrees, about 8" from source to Bowser. Cool areas: 75, heating pad 82-85. Basking spot on 12hr/day.
Uvb?? This crucial to their health

danbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Uvb?? This crucial to their health
I've got one of those 6W Zilla tropical mini compact fluorescent UVB bulbs in place in his basking area. Used to have a larger spread in the lighting fixture directly above his hammock but he hasn't wanted to spend much time up there. He just sits in the basking spot then moves off to one side when it's time to sleep.

Attachments

• 20240326_132806[1].jpg
    20240326_132806[1].jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 18

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I've got one of those 6W Zilla tropical mini compact fluorescent UVB bulbs in place in his basking area. Used to have a larger spread in the lighting fixture directly above his hammock but he hasn't wanted to spend much time up there. He just sits in the basking spot then moves off to one side when it's time to sleep.
Please get rid of the coil UVB --- they are inadequate and the one your using is not of good quality -- please get one of these -- you are in the states?????????? if not I will post a link for the UK
Zoo Med 24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want the Reptisun 10.0 bulb I will post the link
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
this one can be found at Pet Smart - you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one you want a 24" or 2 ft fixture you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun posted above https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
please get the UVB mounted inside the tank approx 13 inches above his basking decor piece
your dragon is not getting near enough UVB

danbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Please get rid of the coil UVB --- they are inadequate and the one your using is not of good quality -- please get one of these -- you are in the states?????????? if not I will post a link for the UK
Zoo Med 24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want the Reptisun 10.0 bulb I will post the link
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
this one can be found at Pet Smart - you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one you want a 24" or 2 ft fixture you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun posted above https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
please get the UVB mounted inside the tank approx 13 inches above his basking decor piece
your dragon is not getting near enough UVB
Awesome. I used to have a better hood on his previous tank before he outgrew it. Anyway... yeah that makes sense. Thanks. I'll get on it.

danbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
So I upgraded his tank with a much better UVB (22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO) and he did seem to perk up a bit for a few days, but it doesn't seem to have lasted. Unfortunately his energy day to day still seems to be very low, especially for this time of year. Normally he's bobbing and running all around the house trying to get outside. Instead he tends to seek cooler spots like he doesn't even want to warm up anymore.

He struggles while walking and it's not uncommon for him to flip over, not just while trying to get off a higher spot (this is why I've got his tank essentially level right now instead of a variety of climbing surfaces), but even while turning around on a flat floor. Sometimes I'll come over to his tank and he's just upside down. He doesn't seem traumatized or anything, just the constant lethargy.

Vet still thinks there's a possibility of liver issues going on. I know he had some challenging conditions when I got him from the pet store, but I thought we'd managed to address those. I'm just afraid that the combination of whatever's left of those issues plus his age is getting the best of him. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 20240422_105937.jpg
    20240422_105937.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 13

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I upgraded his tank with a much better UVB (22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO) and he did seem to perk up a bit for a few days, but it doesn't seem to have lasted. Unfortunately his energy day to day still seems to be very low, especially for this time of year. Normally he's bobbing and running all around the house trying to get outside. Instead he tends to seek cooler spots like he doesn't even want to warm up anymore.

He struggles while walking and it's not uncommon for him to flip over, not just while trying to get off a higher spot (this is why I've got his tank essentially level right now instead of a variety of climbing surfaces), but even while turning around on a flat floor. Sometimes I'll come over to his tank and he's just upside down. He doesn't seem traumatized or anything, just the constant lethargy.

Vet still thinks there's a possibility of liver issues going on. I know he had some challenging conditions when I got him from the pet store, but I thought we'd managed to address those. I'm just afraid that the combination of whatever's left of those issues plus his age is getting the best of him. Any other suggestions?
The flipping over is not good -- they cannot breath on their backs- how far is the UVB from the floor of the tank?

danbert

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bowser
ok thats good -- and I find it odd that at 12" from floor the UVB rays are not higher -- please post what your getting when you lower it - I would say to around 10" -- see what you get w/ that distance
Yeah something's not lining up. According to the UV meter, 10" would give me about the same I'm getting now, and to get up to 4.0, I'd have to have the thing sitting 5 1/2" above him. That can't be right. I mean, I can lower it quite a bit but it doesn't seem like it should need to be that much.

Attachments

• 20240422_133316.jpg
    20240422_133316.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 14

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah something's not lining up. According to the UV meter, 10" would give me about the same I'm getting now, and to get up to 4.0, I'd have to have the thing sitting 5 1/2" above him. That can't be right. I mean, I can lower it quite a bit but it doesn't seem like it should need to be that much.
Ok so to determine which is off please change the bulb out first --- get a new one that one could be defective - if your getting the same reading w/ a new one the solar meter is not right

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom