Help!!! Please, just got Rayven

jwinslow

Beardie name(s)
Rayven
I need help understanding what is going on with Rayven. I just adopted him on Monday and i noticed hes got some "breathing" issues. Hes constantly "yawning". He will eat worms but he still has crickets and a dubia roach in his tank that he wont touch. I would have taken him to the vet this morning but i ran out of funds before i could. i took a small video of him. Any help will be much appreciated!!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
A open mouth alone could be anything and is probably nothing to worry about on its own.
Does he appear to have a difficult time breathing or is making any sounds?

Do not leave insects in the tank after feeding. Please take uneaten bugs out when he's done.

What are the temps in the tank?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Look for stringy saliva (respotory infection or dehydration) listen for clicking, rattling, popping, or wheezing.
Watch for discharge at the nostrils or sides of the mouth.
If none of that is going on he could just be regulating him temperature or if he is shedding he could be stretching his beard to help the process.

jwinslow

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rayven
ok! I spoke to the lady i got him from and she stated that he does it about twice a month.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I need help understanding what is going on with Rayven. I just adopted him on Monday and i noticed hes got some "breathing" issues. Hes constantly "yawning". He will eat worms but he still has crickets and a dubia roach in his tank that he wont touch. I would have taken him to the vet this morning but i ran out of funds before i could. i took a small video of him. Any help will be much appreciated!!
Most likely thermoregulation— sometimes they like to stretch their beards as well (usually earlier in the day), unless he shows the symptoms xp29 listed he should be fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We can review your tank setup with you, if you would like just so we can be sure everything is
all correct for him.
If he isn't leaving his mouth open to breathe all of the time, then, he is probably thermoregulation
which is very normal.
Is he eating right now? As suggested, it is a good idea to make sure there aren't any insects left
in his tank so they don't bite your dragon.

Tracie

jwinslow

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rayven
Hello,

We can review your tank setup with you, if you would like just so we can be sure everything is
all correct for him.
If he isn't leaving his mouth open to breathe all of the time, then, he is probably thermoregulation
which is very normal.
Is he eating right now? As suggested, it is a good idea to make sure there aren't any insects left
in his tank so they don't bite your dragon.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,
He will eat worms, i found out that because he doesnt chase his prey i will need to use a cup (not sure how), also i was given a 20 gallon tank with no lid and only a heat lamp. Ive since then got a heat emitter for at night, and a uvb (which i have been told that it helps with bone growth). I will get him a bigger tank the next time i have a little moreoney. Im not quite sure how to get him to eat anything else besides worms....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Tracie,
He will eat worms, i found out that because he doesnt chase his prey i will need to use a cup (not sure how), also i was given a 20 gallon tank with no lid and only a heat lamp. Ive since then got a heat emitter for at night, and a uvb (which i have been told that it helps with bone growth). I will get him a bigger tank the next time i have a little moreoney. Im not quite sure how to get him to eat anything else besides worms....
Improper surface basking temps and incorrect UVB dragons will not eat ---- they need those things on par - what UVB do you have now it needs to be properly placed and distanced -- surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- a 20 gallon tank is way too small for a adult dragon ---not all UVB's are good ones if you need help w/ anything I have mentioned please ask I will post links for you

jwinslow

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rayven
Improper surface basking temps and incorrect UVB dragons will not eat ---- they need those things on par - what UVB do you have now it needs to be properly placed and distanced -- surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- a 20 gallon tank is way too small for a adult dragon ---not all UVB's are good ones if you need help w/ anything I have mentioned please ask I will post links for you
Here is what its at and what i have (i know its not the right one...)

Attachments

• 17044643791378692877979401989519.jpg
    17044643791378692877979401989519.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20240104_034151277.jpg
    PXL_20240104_034151277.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 35

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is what its at and what i have (i know its not the right one...)
Please get rid of the Thrive UVB -- --- here are some links for good UVB's
you want a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a 10.0 bulb I will post the link as well
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
22" Reptisun T 5 https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
or this fixture can be found at Pet Smart 12% 24 watt bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
or this fixture 2 ft or 24" you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun bulb
hydrobuilder.com

SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp

Buy the SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp at Hydrobuilder.com. Shop the entire line of SunBlaster products along with thousands of hydroponics supplies on sale now.
hydrobuilder.com
hydrobuilder.com
please post back on here when you get the UVB----the screen on the tank will determine where it needs to be placed and distance -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
As Karrie suggests, the Thrive is not a real good light. I believe it is made in China & a lot of those
tend to have poor quality of UVB output. Most of us tend to use Reptisun or Arcadia either one. The
T5 tubes are terrific & very effective too.
Has his appetite improved any yet?
Once you get his basking temperatures optimal for him, using a digital probe or temp gun, he should
begin to become more active & have a better appetite, too.

Tracie

jwinslow

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rayven
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
As Karrie suggests, the Thrive is not a real good light. I believe it is made in China & a lot of those
tend to have poor quality of UVB output. Most of us tend to use Reptisun or Arcadia either one. The
T5 tubes are terrific & very effective too.
Has his appetite improved any yet?
Once you get his basking temperatures optimal for him, using a digital probe or temp gun, he should
begin to become more active & have a better appetite, too.

Tracie
i took the bulb back, his tank temps have been 90s with roughly 40% humidity, i used a temp gun on him last night and he was 83.2 temp. i got him to eat last night he had his worms and he had a piece of cauliflower, i tried squash but he looked at me like i am not eating that..its a work in progress for me but iam determined to get him happy again 🙂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i took the bulb back, his tank temps have been 90s with roughly 40% humidity, i used a temp gun on him last night and he was 83.2 temp. i got him to eat last night he had his worms and he had a piece of cauliflower, i tried squash but he looked at me like i am not eating that..its a work in progress for me but iam determined to get him happy again 🙂
What are you now using for a UVB?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
at the moment i dont have anything for uvb, im having to wait til friday to get him one...here is him out with me...
He looks to be in rough shape- he needs uvb as soon as possible- what are you planning to get? Do you have a pet Smart ?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom