Basking with mouth open

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdragon

Juvie Member
He's getting really warm and is too lazy to move...Fabio does the same thing..He has cooler spots, but he'll hang around right under the heat for a couple hours every single day with his mouth wide open and his nails curled up toward the sky lol

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
This is called gaping and is a normal behaviour used by the lizard to moderate their body temperature. As long as he has a cool area in the tank to move to if he gets too warm, there's nothing to worry about :)

-- Catalyst

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
The compact bulbs aren't any good. If you're going to use the flourescent UV bulbs, then you need the full flourescent tube bulb and it should run the length of the tank. The other option is to go with an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) like a mega ray or the t-rex active heat - these are screw in bulbs that produce a better quality of uv ray than the flourescents and last longer, although they're also a bit more expensive. Another note, with the flourescent bulbs, your dragon will need to get 6" from them in order to get a good amount of rays.

-- Catalyst

Dern_Humpus

Original Poster
So even with a tube my dragon needs to get within 6 inches of it? Thats kinda hard in even just my 20 gal tank considering it is like 12 inches high.

Dern_Humpus

Original Poster
heres some pictures of him and his tank.
DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Yes, he should still be able to get within six inches of the UV light. You'll need to either get a log that will get him up that high or set up a basking platform. You can use bricks, wood, any sort of material. He doesn't need to always be that close, just have an area or two where he can get that close in order to soak up some rays.

-- Catalyst

Dern_Humpus

Original Poster
as you can see hes been sitting over by that UV light, he is within 6 inches of it, but that bulb is pretty much useless?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
As far as I know and from everything I've heard, those coil UV bulbs are no good. Feel free to do a forum search for further information on them or post a question about it under the enclosures section since it's likely more people will chip in on that topic.
- Catalyst

Sethbaby4

I would really suggest to get him a proper bulb with a tall log that he can move all the way up to. They should be able to get a LOT closer to that bulb then the set up you have....either that or bring the bulb lower.

Starghoti

Hatchling Member
Oh and something I don't think anyone else noticed...
Your UV bulb is on the side of the tank shining through the glass?
Sorry, but glass and/or plastic will block/absorb most if not all of the UV
It looks like you have a screen top for your viv, so that makes it easy--just get one of those big $10 clamp lamp fixtures (with the ceramic fixture and the high wattage rating!!!) for the Merc.Vap Bulb, save the clamp for later, and set it on top the screen pointing straight down. Also- intense UV lighting from the side can possibly maybe cause eye damage, the Sun comes from Above... I like to put my MVB in the middle of the tank with the basking/heat bulb on one end, so they have a 'cool' end also and the UV covers in at least some percentage- most of the floor space. Just my $.02 :)

Anna

PS: Thanks all you other beardie-wise folks for your instruction!!
:notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom