Mouth open

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So we got back from the beach yesterday in good shape. The lizards all went back to their regular routine relatively easily and almost immediately. I've noticed something, though. I don't know if he's done it in the past and I just didn't see or if it's new but since Nubby has been more dominant acting, if he sees toothless (toothless in his tank and nubby out our vice versa), he starts puffing up, tail flicking, etc. But at some point, he will open his mouth, like he's gaping but he isn't. He isn't hissing, he just opens his mouth for a minute. Is that normal.?

Also, when I turned their lights on this morning, within a minute or two of him crawling out of bed, he opened his mouth a little bit. He wasn't gaping, he was still relatively chilly this morning but I Don know what it was. No wheezing, no bubbles from his nose or breathing weird or any respiratory symptoms. He's basking, eating and pooping normal and acting totally normal. Should I be concerned.?

The picture is him opening his mouth while puffing up and stuff when he saw Toothless.

Attachments

• 20230715_135141.jpg
    20230715_135141.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 351

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think your ok, they have a wide range of visual displays they use to communicate mood, intention, ect. I doubt we would ever see or understand all of them, thats kindda part of what makes them fun to keep. I know i enjoy mine way more after getting multiple ones. Their interactions are really cool to witness.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I think your ok, they have a wide range of visual displays they use to communicate mood, intention, ect. I doubt we would ever see or understand all of them, thats kindda part of what makes them fun to keep. I know i enjoy mine way more after getting multiple ones. Their interactions are really cool to witness.
On another note, Dreki turned into a cricket.

Attachments

• 20230716_160101.jpg
    20230716_160101.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230716_160106.jpg
    20230716_160106.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 60

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
THey are all on sale for 1.77 so whoever didn't get the costumes, run!!!

The open mouth could mean, they are regulating their body temperature, cursing you out (without words), thinking, I mean, anything! The beard is fine so everything is okay. If you go next to him and mimic him, he'll think you are crazy and will shut his mouth instantly. Try it!

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
THey are all on sale for 1.77 so whoever didn't get the costumes, run!!!

The open mouth could mean, they are regulating their body temperature, cursing you out (without words), thinking, I mean, anything! The beard is fine so everything is okay. If you go next to him and mimic him, he'll think you are crazy and will shut his mouth instantly. Try it!
Yeah we've realized that if we mock their headbobs when they do it, they'll abruptly stop and it's funny. He gapes when he's hot but when he's out and Toothless isn't, he will still puff up, turn black, tail whip and flatten out, turn his body sideways and skitter across the bed toward his tank, headbob and then open his mouth while still puffed up. All in that order, for the most part. Then he will close it, run around some more and bob and puff up and open his mouth again but no hissing. I wasn't sure if it was related to him suddenly being... aggressive or what. Or his version of aggressive.πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

And yes.! I got the cricket for 1.50.!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
You surely take the aggression much better than me. I was the biggest baby/so scared! Kudos to you.
I would never tell Rocky but if he was aggressive, I would still get nervous!

I have never seen the tail whip- WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA that's serious!
Rocky will wrap his tail around me for stability but that's about it.
Is the whipping similar to that of an iguana?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You surely take the aggression much better than me. I was the biggest baby/so scared! Kudos to you.

Sort of but not as aggressive. He'll like... flick it back and forth real slow like a cat does, which is WILD. I have a video somewhere, I'll find it. He's usually such a baby, would wave, hide and cling to us and now all of a sudden he even gets a glimpse of Toothless and he's suddenly Mike Tyson ready for a fight.

When he opens his mouth right in my face, it's a little unnerving, he's got some sharp teefys. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless

Okay, here is the link. Ignore his messy tank, he had been running around and made a huge mess. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Also, ignore any possible cussing you hear from me and my kids hysterics. They thought it was hilarious and I was so thrown off by the whole thingπŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
That is SOOOOOOOOOO cool!!!!!!
@xp29 look at this
:love:

I have never seen that before. I MAYBE could handle that because he's a cutie. That's not what I was thinking. Awwww. I have never seen that. Besides holding it to stabilize, ROcky never uses his tail. I swear he forgets he has it. I have to put it in the encloure for him because he leaves it hanging outside (unless he doesnt want me to shut the door).

That's so cool- that's for sharing. I am going to watch it again then try to find a video of what I envisioned.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
He's so pretty- look at his colors (handsome)-
he does no wrong!!!!
I just can't believe this.
That is so cool. I have a broken beardie! He doesn't climb, whip his tail, LOL

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
OKay. I did a quick search and thought it would be something like this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, no thankfully I haven't been on the receiving end of a legit tail whip. Toothless whipped me once, but it was on accident, he was really excited about something. It hurt.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

He's definitely a handsome boy, he's got amazing color, his head and feet are a yellow/green and it fades into his orange/red and this cool mustard yellow. He's a weirdo.πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is SOOOOOOOOOO cool!!!!!!
@xp29 look at this
:love:

I have never seen that before. I MAYBE could handle that because he's a cutie. That's not what I was thinking. Awwww. I have never seen that. Besides holding it to stabilize, ROcky never uses his tail. I swear he forgets he has it. I have to put it in the encloure for him because he leaves it hanging outside (unless he doesnt want me to shut the door).

That's so cool- that's for sharing. I am going to watch it again then try to find a video of what I envisioned.
That's funny πŸ˜€
Snicker Doodles does something similar but she cork screws her tail sometimes, it's so random I've never been able to get a video😑
She is the only one I've had thats does it.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. πŸ˜”
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom