Mouth open

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So we got back from the beach yesterday in good shape. The lizards all went back to their regular routine relatively easily and almost immediately. I've noticed something, though. I don't know if he's done it in the past and I just didn't see or if it's new but since Nubby has been more dominant acting, if he sees toothless (toothless in his tank and nubby out our vice versa), he starts puffing up, tail flicking, etc. But at some point, he will open his mouth, like he's gaping but he isn't. He isn't hissing, he just opens his mouth for a minute. Is that normal.?

Also, when I turned their lights on this morning, within a minute or two of him crawling out of bed, he opened his mouth a little bit. He wasn't gaping, he was still relatively chilly this morning but I Don know what it was. No wheezing, no bubbles from his nose or breathing weird or any respiratory symptoms. He's basking, eating and pooping normal and acting totally normal. Should I be concerned.?

The picture is him opening his mouth while puffing up and stuff when he saw Toothless.

Attachments

• 20230715_135141.jpg
    20230715_135141.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 351

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
That's funny 😀
Snicker Doodles does something similar but she cork screws her tail sometimes, it's so random I've never been able to get a video😡
She is the only one I've had thats does it.
They're such weird animals. I lost my mind when I first saw him do it. Toothless did it a few times when he was little, but he'd do it right before trying to take off across the bed, thinking he could fly across the room and magically end up in Nova's tank. 😅😂😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think they must all come from Portland Oregon (their motto is keep Portland weird lol) (and BELIEVE me there are some there that weird barely describes lol😆)

So we got back from the beach yesterday in good shape. The lizards all went back to their regular routine relatively easily and almost immediately. I've noticed something, though. I don't know if he's done it in the past and I just didn't see or if it's new but since Nubby has been more dominant acting, if he sees toothless (toothless in his tank and nubby out our vice versa), he starts puffing up, tail flicking, etc. But at some point, he will open his mouth, like he's gaping but he isn't. He isn't hissing, he just opens his mouth for a minute. Is that normal.?

Also, when I turned their lights on this morning, within a minute or two of him crawling out of bed, he opened his mouth a little bit. He wasn't gaping, he was still relatively chilly this morning but I Don know what it was. No wheezing, no bubbles from his nose or breathing weird or any respiratory symptoms. He's basking, eating and pooping normal and acting totally normal. Should I be concerned.?

The picture is him opening his mouth while puffing up and stuff when he saw Toothless.
I do believe you are fine. It might freak you out more if you see them burp. They can get gas and their beard will puff up with the gas and then they open their mouth. No sound. Yawning is so cute!

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I do believe you are fine. It might freak you out more if you see them burp. They can get gas and their beard will puff up with the gas and then they open their mouth. No sound. Yawning is so cute!
I swear mine hiccup with no sound. It's the weirdest thing possible, they'll do little hiccup motions with their mouths, like a frog doing little puff up things.

They're such strange animals.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
i'm from portland originally, and even though i claim to be weird as hell, portland itself is what offends me now! i'm glad i don't live there anymore
I know, I loved it there at first but it was like the whole city collectively lost their danged minds. I still love Oregon especially the coastal areas, and the Madris/Bend areas. There was a chance we would be moving back there but it fell through. My girlfriend was interviewing for two different jobs, one in Portland and one in Seattle, they low balled the Portland position and she turned it down. She got confirmation today that she landed the Seattle job. Wasn't my first choice but it's a 65k per year raise so I'll manage lol.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I just showed this video to my mother (yes I am still watching it LOL) - she thinks he is clearing the area with his tail before he enters his hide. He moves his tail then backs up-
Rocky still doesn't do this for the record LOL

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I just showed this video to my mother (yes I am still watching it LOL) - she thinks he is clearing the area with his tail before he enters his hide. He moves his tail then backs up-
Rocky still doesn't do this for the record LOL
That's cute haha. I know there's stuff all over his tank, he likes to flip his salad bowl and send the pieces flying all over his tank. He's a little character for sure.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
That's cute haha. I know there's stuff all over his tank, he likes to flip his salad bowl and send the pieces flying all over his tank. He's a little character for sure.
Not THAT, Rocky will do. If Rocky doesn't have enough to eat, he will flip his bowl over with his hand/paw? They are hilarious and such fascinating animals. I visited a pet store today and truly forgot how tiny they are....we have to enjoy every minute! Even the tantrums LOL

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom