Basking Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

alrha

Looking for a basking bulb for my vivarium (customcages 52x21x24.5)

Does it need to be an actual bulb? or can it be one of those heating bulbs (with no light)?

Also, what fixture to use for it to mount to the top of the vivarium (inside)?

Poke

You will need a cermaic dome fixture. Dont use the plastic ones as they are only good for regular house bulbs and they cant hold that much wattage. You have a couple options on basking as there are different bulbs that can do heat and uvb now. I myself use a halogen flood light bulb 75 watt from home depot. Only cost around $3 or $4. That will cover usually a small area. Or you can get a spot light bulb which will only heat up a specific area.

If you live in a state that gets cold at night you might want to get those heat emitters that doesnt give out light. So you can heat the tank at night without using any lights.

alrha

Original Poster
thanks.
I am in NYC, so it does get cold out, but luckily my home is heated (more for the children, but also good for pets).
the dome will not work for me as I want to install the lights within my vivarium won't have the room for a big dome.
I would probably like the heat emitter for the nights to keep him warm, the question is if I can just leave that running for the day too instead of a halogen or whatever so long as I have a reptisun 10.0?
lastly, does it need to face straight down or can it be angled at 45 degrees or so?

AndyT

Juvie Member
I think that for daytime they're supposed to have a bright white/yellow bulb. Both to mimic the sun and to shield their eyes from the UV light. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read that somewhere. I would go with a halogen or whatever for day, and the CHE for night if its cold.

alrha

Original Poster
so the basking bulb needs to provide light (uvb?) in addition to the heat and in addition to the UVB tubes.
is the wattage then only based on the amount of heat needed to obtain the proper temperature? or is it also based on the amount of light needed?
what is the best choice of bulb? halogen?

Poke

Yes you can put it on a angle if you like. As long as the basking spot gets to the desired degree. Yes the wattage on the bulb will determine how much heat it puts out. I use halogen on my two tanks that need the heat. Ive never just tried the heat emitter by itself with just the uvb. Also used the flood light bulb with the uvb.

AndyT

Juvie Member
The basking bulb does NOT need to produce UVB, it is just best to have a real light for basking. The basking bulb should be producing the heat, so what do you mean by "in addition to the heat"? Yep, its the wattage, not the amount of light. Any bulb should put out sufficient light. Halogen is a good choice, they throw out a lot of heat, so make sure that the wattage is good and all. I've never heard of CHEs as basking lights, that's why I think that you should just go with a regular bulb.

alrha

Original Poster
ok, may just go with a halogen then. 50W should probably be ok as i'm not using a glass cage? where is good to buy an angled fixture? i'd rather mount it in the front by the top lip of the cage where it might be less noticeable.
The heat emitter should be placed on the same side as the basking bulb to turn on at night when the bulb is off?

AndyT

Juvie Member
Yep, a 50 watt should do the trick. Make sure to mess around with the temps and make sure they're right before putting anything in, though. No idea about an angled fixture. Yes, same side as the basking and just turn it on whenever the basking turns off.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom