UVB for bearded dragon

RedBabyBeardie

Original Poster
What should I change my bearded dragons UVB light to be? A few months back I changed my tank from a 40 to 120 gallon. I have been using a 24 inch hood with a T5 HO UVB bulb on top. However, my beardie hasn’t been eating and I now think that the mesh is too fine for him to receive proper UVB amounts. If I am to mount a bulb on the inside, what should I use? (and should it hit his basking spot? From what I’ve seen things say XX inches from basking spot, but isn’t that where the heat has to be?) He has a log on the cool side that is 15 inches from the top, and his basking spot is 19 inches away at the bottom and 7 at the very top depending on where the light will be hitting. Also, do I need to factor in how high he’s holding his head? Any help is appreciated, I want to make sure that he’s getting sufficient UVB. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 40

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What should I change my bearded dragons UVB light to be? A few months back I changed my tank from a 40 to 120 gallon. I have been using a 24 inch hood with a T5 HO UVB bulb on top. However, my beardie hasn’t been eating and I now think that the mesh is too fine for him to receive proper UVB amounts. If I am to mount a bulb on the inside, what should I use? (and should it hit his basking spot? From what I’ve seen things say XX inches from basking spot, but isn’t that where the heat has to be?) He has a log on the cool side that is 15 inches from the top, and his basking spot is 19 inches away at the bottom and 7 at the very top depending on where the light will be hitting. Also, do I need to factor in how high he’s holding his head? Any help is appreciated, I want to make sure that he’s getting sufficient UVB. Thanks!
Your UVB needs to be inside the tank directly over a piece of basking decor - try and get it as close to your basking light as possible if not set up a second basking area w/ the light on top of screen behind the UVB get temps w/ a digital probe thermometer - the screen is blocking approx 30% of the rays --- you can hang the UVB w/ fishing line --- picture wire hangers I recommend those they are bendable- 3M velcro fasteners or long plastic zip ties --- you want the UVB approx 12-15 inches I recommend around 13 inches directly over a piece of basking decor
pic of my tank for reference

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 37

RedBabyBeardie

Original Poster
If I were to mount the T5 HO on the inside what would the distance need to be? I want to make sure he doesn’t get too much exposure. He’ll lift his head up and that adds a couple inches too, and I don’t want him to be too close. What would be your recommended distance with that in consideration?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
UVB and the basking light should overlap. Like being outside, you can not choose between heat or uvb, if you are in the sun you get both. Bearded dragons have lived in the desserts for a long time, if he gets to much uvb, he'll most likely just seek shelter and hide from it.
Also a lot of dragons do not eat a bunch this time of the year, so that alone might not be a strong sign that something is wrong to begin with...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom