Amount of insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy123

So I know what insects I will be feeding my beardie, and I know how often, and I also know to feed vegetables/greens, but exactly how many insects (per day) should I feed a baby, juvenile, and adult bd?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
As many as they want in 10-15 minute period. I usually give about 5 insects (dubias, crickets, etc) at a time and keep feeding til they don't want anymore. If feeding crickets please cannot stress enough, find a way to get them out of the enclosure they will bite and feast on your beardie and that is no good. There is no exact amount per feeding just make sure they can eat as many in that time frame. What also might be handy is to have a separate enclosure you can put the feeders in, just make sure its big enough for your beardie to fit inside of and able to eat.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Oh and also for babies, if you can 3 x a day is best, juvie's 2x day and I believe adult 1x a day. If anyone wants to correct me on this just to be sure. As they get older, more veggies/salads than proteins.

Sassy123

Original Poster
Reptilelady":12iplm78 said:
Oh and also for babies, if you can 3 x a day is best, juvie's 2x day and I believe adult 1x a day. If anyone wants to correct me on this just to be sure. As they get older, more veggies/salads than proteins.
Thank you! And no, I won't be feeding crickets, as they are work to keep alive and are too hard to control.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Your welcome. Right?! They get smelly and also when beardie poo's the smell is stinky :puke:
As soon as you see a dead cricket MUST remove immediately as they send off gas so its like domino crickets also, they eat each other I've actually seen while I was watching them since I provided them with veggies. Found out they need to be on a protein diet so that's why they eat each other :eek: Plus trying to get my beardie to eat the crickets is pulling teeth :lol: Dubias on the other hand, little to no effort required as soon as he SEES them in the cup he runs/rushes over to the sliding door and tries to get through the glass. I am like wow... :shock: and then eats even two at a time im like omg... slow down. So i have to give him 1 at a time sometimes i seen him almost choke so be careful on that. Make sure the feeders are not too big either for them to eat. But remember variety is best :D

colieolie

Reptilelady":3j8khmif said:
Hi,
As many as they want in 10-15 minute period. I usually give about 5 insects (dubias, crickets, etc) at a time and keep feeding til they don't want anymore.

Is this even for babies?? I wonder (actually, worry) about belly size and I let her eat as many as she could in a 10 minute period and she ate 12 and I just felt like it was way too many for her tiny belly. Also, my baby DOES eat greens

Akire

It's especially for babies/juvies. Due to the quick rate beardies grow they need lots of protein which is why they require so many insects when they're young. 12 in one sitting is a perfectly normal amount and not too much. My boy can get quite the round stomach as well. That just means you have a well fed baby! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom