Baby Beardie Help!

Kjord17

Original Poster
My baby beardie stopped eating due to uvb/heating issues that have now been corrected. Now he will eat his veggies some and will let me dropper feed him repta boost and baby food chicken with no problem but will not eat insects. We’ve tried different kinds of insects but he doesn’t seem interested in them at all so his main source of eating is coming from me hand feeding him which I don’t mind doing at all but would like some advice on how to get him to start eating on his own again. Any advice is appreciated!!

Kjord17

Original Poster
Regarding something off in the tank: I was thinking of any reflections in the glass. These go away when he's taken out of the tank...
That’s a good point that I didn’t think of. He was in a just glass front enclosure before and we didn’t have this problem but had to change tanks due to heating issues in the larger one

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We do have a dog and a cat but the cat is mainly outside and the dog doesn’t even act like he knows he’s there. Here he is outside and his colors are brighter and almost gone underneath. Someone mentioned his reflection being a factor. He was in a just glass front enclosure which is what we had to taken him out of because we weren’t able to warm it properly to now in an all glass tank. Could this be a possibility?
His little tail at the base is very thin - that is what I was looking at - I dont think the reflection is going to bother him at this age - when he get to be more of a juvenile / adult then yes - so the cat / dog would not be a issue then - I am going to say its relocation stress - but he still should be eating the insects - they usually like to hunt - keep offering the insects - once he acclimates to the tank and surroundings his appetite should pick up - just dont leave any crickets in the tank they bite - dubias are ok but you want them gut loaded when you feed them - like feeding them at night so when you feed him in the morning they are full - is he drinking water? what kind of supplements are you feeding ?

Kjord17

Original Poster
His little tail at the base is very thin - that is what I was looking at - I dont think the reflection is going to bother him at this age - when he get to be more of a juvenile / adult then yes - so the cat / dog would not be a issue then - I am going to say its relocation stress - but he still should be eating the insects - they usually like to hunt - keep offering the insects - once he acclimates to the tank and surroundings his appetite should pick up - just dont leave any crickets in the tank they bite - dubias are ok but you want them gut loaded when you feed them - like feeding them at night so when you feed him in the morning they are full - is he drinking water? what kind of supplements are you feeding ?
We dust the insects with a multivitamin and a calcium with D3 and spray the veggies with calcium spray. Since he’s not eating the insects he’s mainly getting supplements from the repta boost and yes he will drink water when given with a syringe.
I lined his cage so he could no longer see his reflection and so far since being back in his enclosure his color has stayed bright with no under markings and it’s been almost an hour but I’m going to keep checking on him and see if it stays improved.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Regarding the insects:
Some bearded dragons are picky regarding refusing insects dusted with (too much) calcium powder.
Could you maybe try, just for the moment, only very little of the powder and increase with time?
(Better he gets somewhat less than the optimal amount instead of nothing regarding the calcium/ D3.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We dust the insects with a multivitamin and a calcium with D3 and spray the veggies with calcium spray. Since he’s not eating the insects he’s mainly getting supplements from the repta boost and yes he will drink water when given with a syringe.
I lined his cage so he could no longer see his reflection and so far since being back in his enclosure his color has stayed bright with no under markings and it’s been almost an hour but I’m going to keep checking on him and see if it stays improved.
He may not like the powder calcium- you can always get liquid - insects should be dusted lightly - you dont want them looking like a powdered donut

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom