Baby Beardie Help!

Kjord17

Original Poster
My baby beardie stopped eating due to uvb/heating issues that have now been corrected. Now he will eat his veggies some and will let me dropper feed him repta boost and baby food chicken with no problem but will not eat insects. We’ve tried different kinds of insects but he doesn’t seem interested in them at all so his main source of eating is coming from me hand feeding him which I don’t mind doing at all but would like some advice on how to get him to start eating on his own again. Any advice is appreciated!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My baby beardie stopped eating due to uvb/heating issues that have now been corrected. Now he will eat his veggies some and will let me dropper feed him repta boost and baby food chicken with no problem but will not eat insects. We’ve tried different kinds of insects but he doesn’t seem interested in them at all so his main source of eating is coming from me hand feeding him which I don’t mind doing at all but would like some advice on how to get him to start eating on his own again. Any advice is appreciated!!
Ho old is the dragon? What are the surface basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please they give ambient temps only. UVB what is the brand and bulb coil or long tube fixture and where in the tank is it --- these things I am asking need to be on par or he will not eat

Kjord17

Original Poster
Ho old is the dragon? What are the surface basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please they give ambient temps only. UVB what is the brand and bulb coil or long tube fixture and where in the tank is it --- these things I am asking need to be on par or he will not eat
We got him exactly a month ago from petsmart and he was tiny when we got him so I’m not sure how old he is. His basking is 101 F and his UVB is the Arcadia Reptile Pro T5 UVB D3+ Dragon 14%UV-B 24inch. The UVB runs along just about the whole length of the enclosure and the heat bulb is on the right side.

Kjord17

Original Poster
We got him exactly a month ago from petsmart and he was tiny when we got him so I’m not sure how old he is. His basking is 101 F and his UVB is the Arcadia Reptile Pro T5 UVB D3+ Dragon 14%UV-B 24inch. The UVB runs along just about the whole length of the enclosure and the heat bulb is on the right side.
We have a temperature gun that we check the temps with.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We have a temperature gun that we check the temps with.
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers -- depending on the material the basking decor is made of
IR guns can be off especially on hammocks --- place the probe on the spot where he basks - you dont need to leave it there long enough to get the temp - stick it on the side of your tank when done - check every couple of weeks -- the UVB is in the tank or top of screen - 14% bulbs are very strong and need certain distance depending on where they are placed for the tank - can the dragon get out of the UVB if he wants to - we recommend not using a UVB the entire length of the tank for that reason - you dont want him hiding from the UVB - he needs to be able to sit in his tank w/ out having to hide

Kjord17

Original Poster
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers -- depending on the material the basking decor is made of
IR guns can be off especially on hammocks --- place the probe on the spot where he basks - you dont need to leave it there long enough to get the temp - stick it on the side of your tank when done - check every couple of weeks -- the UVB is in the tank or top of screen - 14% bulbs are very strong and need certain distance depending on where they are placed for the tank - can the dragon get out of the UVB if he wants to - we recommend not using a UVB the entire length of the tank for that reason - you dont want him hiding from the UVB - he needs to be able to sit in his tank w/ out having to hide
Okay I will definitely get a probe thermometers. It’s on top of the screen but he is in a small tank because hasn’t really grown since we got him but he has room and a cool and warm side. I have a 10 UVB reptisun coil light I can use instead of the one that is on there now, will that help? He hasn’t been trying to hide but he can’t get out of the UBV since it’s the length of the cage.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay I will definitely get a probe thermometers. It’s on top of the screen but he is in a small tank because hasn’t really grown since we got him but he has room and a cool and warm side. I have a 10 UVB reptisun coil light I can use instead of the one that is on there now, will that help? He hasn’t been trying to hide but he can’t get out of the UBV since it’s the length of the cage.
NO coils--- they are inadequate and will make things worse --- please get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB approx 12 inches above -- does he have a hide or can you cover half of the UVB w/ a towel or something so he can get out of it -- what size tank is he in now - please post a pic of the dragon - any colored lights in the tank ?

Kjord17

Original Poster
NO coils--- they are inadequate and will make things worse --- please get a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB approx 12 inches above -- does he have a hide or can you cover half of the UVB w/ a towel or something so he can get out of it -- what size tank is he in now - please post a pic of the dragon - any colored lights in the tank ?
It’s a 20” L 10” W 12”H

Attachments

• IMG_5159.jpeg
    IMG_5159.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5160.jpeg
    IMG_5160.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 27

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a 20” L 10” W 12”H
Ok so it sounds like hes going thru relocation stress -- does he have marks on his stomach? You need to keep him hydrated -- he looks a little thin - what kind of insects have you tried? You need to get a temp under that vine under your basking lamp - the UVB looks ok for the tank - the screen is going to cut down on the intensity of the rays so thats good - he looks like hes basking under it --

Kjord17

Original Poster
It’s a 20” L 10” W 12”H

Ok so it sounds like hes going thru relocation stress -- does he have marks on his stomach? You need to keep him hydrated -- he looks a little thin - what kind of insects have you tried? You need to get a temp under that vine under your basking lamp - the UVB looks ok for the tank - the screen is going to cut down on the intensity of the rays so thats good - he looks like hes basking under it --
He’s dark and will have lines on him in his enclosure but when I take him out to feed him his marks go away and all of his color comes back. He’s a red bearded dragon and colorful when he’s out and I hold him for a few a minutes but when I put him back in he goes back dark and has the marks on his under side. I give him water, repta boost and baby food chicken all through a syringe and he does good with eating it. I’ve offered crickets, dubias and phoenix worms all appropriate size and he doesn’t even pay them attention or seem interested at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He’s dark and will have lines on him in his enclosure but when I take him out to feed him his marks go away and all of his color comes back. He’s a red bearded dragon and colorful when he’s out and I hold him for a few a minutes but when I put him back in he goes back dark and has the marks on his under side. I give him water, repta boost and baby food chicken all through a syringe and he does good with eating it. I’ve offered crickets, dubias and phoenix worms all appropriate size and he doesn’t even pay them attention or seem interested at all.
The change in coloring tells me something is off in that tank -thus stress marks - what is the brand and bulb of the basking bulb? All good staple feeders as well -- we need a surface basking temp as soon as you can get the digital probe thermometers

Kjord17

Original Poster
The change in coloring tells me something is off in that tank -thus stress marks - what is the brand and bulb of the basking bulb? All good staple feeders as well -- we need a surface basking temp as soon as you can get the digital probe thermometers
It’s a zoo med 100 W build. I worry he’s stressed because he’s in a high traffic area with being in the living room. Could this be what’s causing it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a zoo med 100 W build. I worry he’s stressed because he’s in a high traffic area with being in the living room. Could this be what’s causing it?
I would not think so - they like activity - are there other animals like cats / dogs ? Dogs barking can stress him out and cats getting on top of the tank as well -- the bulb is fine --

Kjord17

Original Poster
I would not think so - they like activity - are there other animals like cats / dogs ? Dogs barking can stress him out and cats getting on top of the tank as well -- the bulb is fine --
We do have a dog and a cat but the cat is mainly outside and the dog doesn’t even act like he knows he’s there. Here he is outside and his colors are brighter and almost gone underneath. Someone mentioned his reflection being a factor. He was in a just glass front enclosure which is what we had to taken him out of because we weren’t able to warm it properly to now in an all glass tank. Could this be a possibility?

Attachments

• IMG_5162.jpeg
    IMG_5162.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5163.jpeg
    IMG_5163.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 24

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom