Alive BSFL in poop?!?!

Starlily

Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Hello,

I'm no stranger to finding undigested BSFL in my gals poop, but today took the cake finding one still alive...

Is that crazy or? Should I be concerned?

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Hello,

I'm no stranger to finding undigested BSFL in my gals poop, but today took the cake finding one still alive...

Is that crazy or? Should I be concerned?
I'd like to add that she digests everything else really well, and isn't displaying any concerning behaviors.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's actually somewhat common, one of the big breeders of bsfl even mentions it on their site. I don't use them personally, they're fine in most cases but going through the G.I. tract undigested or alive means the dragon didn't get any nutrients during that feeding.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Yeah, I thought so! I never really use BSFL either, my boys never really took to it.

Starlily

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lily & Percy
Yes! I've thought that myself, so many undigested! I'm in a bind on what else to offer. I feel like dubia exclusively probably isn't great (variety is important). Crickets are frustrating because my beardies don't seem to be comfortable eating in a separate feeding bin, and even if I chill them in the fridge first, there are always a few that escape out of the feeding container into the enclosure. I tried raising silkworms but that didn't work out. They are still young, so supers aren't safe yet... Am I missing other options?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Use crickets but cripple them by pulling off the back legs. They won't move too fast and Lily should get them easily . You can still use the bsfl if you pierce them with a pin, they seem to digest better.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Yes! I've thought that myself, so many undigested! I'm in a bind on what else to offer. I feel like dubia exclusively probably isn't great (variety is important). Crickets are frustrating because my beardies don't seem to be comfortable eating in a separate feeding bin, and even if I chill them in the fridge first, there are always a few that escape out of the feeding container into the enclosure. I tried raising silkworms but that didn't work out. They are still young, so supers aren't safe yet... Am I missing other options?
I find that super worms are a good option, as long as their enclosure is secure and no holes they can get through. Also, if you breed earthworms, they can provide a good source of food as well! Just make sure that the earthworms aren’t wild caught, that can cause a whole plethora of issues later down the line.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'd like to add that she digests everything else really well, and isn't displaying any concerning behaviors.
Feed only a few at a time so she chews them up ---- usually they gobble them down too fast and that would contribute to them coming out undigested --- surface basking temps as well but if she is digesting everything else I would rule that out and say shes eating them too fast

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom