YAY we have a forum!

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
lloydy":c35d9 said:
Hey guys,
Just thought id say hello in this forum.

My names andrew, from melbourne, and well im looking to get a bearded dragon shortly.
got the enclosure built, and now im just finding all the lights and doing the interior.

Anyone else here from Melb? looking for a breeder to buy a beardie off.

cheers

Hey, I can hook you up with a contact.. i know a few ppl who have some stunners at a affordable price in Melb.

lloydy

Hey thanks!
that would be great man.

Do you know where abouts in Melb they are?

You can just PM me or something if you want.

cheers.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
lloydy":b8676 said:
Hey thanks!
that would be great man.

Do you know where abouts in Melb they are?

You can just PM me or something if you want.

cheers.

No I will pm you some stuff now though

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Dave94":6f9f4 said:
Hey, I can hook you up with a contact.. i know a few ppl who have some stunners at a affordable price in Melb.

Hey Dave, I'm also on the lookout for colours - Red, Blue, Sandfire Orange 1 - 2 yr olds, mainly females. If the people u know are breeders or if u know anyone else, would love to know!! Want to be ready for next yr to breed some different colors for poor old Tmba that only get the basics :lol: Thanks!

lloydy":6f9f4 said:
Hey guys,
Hey Andrew - how exciting for u to be getting a Beardie. Let us know & send thru some photos! I still haven't had time to work out the photo thing so am yet to send any thru - one day?!

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
SunshineLollipop":9328a said:
Dave94":9328a said:

Hey Dave, I'm also on the lookout for colours - Red, Blue, Sandfire Orange 1 - 2 yr olds, mainly females. If the people u know are breeders or if u know anyone else, would love to know!! Want to be ready for next yr to breed some different colors for poor old Tmba that only get the basics :lol: Thanks!

lloydy":9328a said:
Hey guys,
Hey Andrew - how exciting for u to be getting a Beardie. Let us know & send thru some photos! I still haven't had time to work out the photo thing so am yet to send any thru - one day?!

Hey,

I know about 7 breeders in Brissy/Ips who will have red and yellows.. I can give you some contacts.. I'm getting a pair of each from one breeder as I'm good friends with him :)

lloydy

thanks for the warm welcome.
this might sound like a real stupid qn, but how much would u pay for either a yellow or red BD?
im guessing they are more expensive than the usual tan? colored ones?

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
lloydy":580e3 said:
this might sound like a real stupid qn, but how much would u pay for either a yellow or red BD?

Hi again - How much are they asking? Unless they were a stunning/different yellow, I wouldn't pay xtra for them as most common grey beardies given different times of day will have yellow in them, so I regard yellow as normal. Red I'd pay more for as they're rarer. In Toowoomba here Beardies sell in pet stores for about the $90 mark. Am imagining they'd be a lot more in Melbourne? Some people in the Aussie PetLink site are asking $150 for red babies (maybe a bit rich?), keep an eye there as well. Home breeders should be cheaper. Let us know - Kathy.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
SunshineLollipop":02658 said:
lloydy":02658 said:

Hi again - How much are they asking? Unless they were a stunning/different yellow, I wouldn't pay xtra for them as most common grey beardies given different times of day will have yellow in them, so I regard yellow as normal. Red I'd pay more for as they're rarer. In Toowoomba here Beardies sell in pet stores for about the $90 mark. Am imagining they'd be a lot more in Melbourne? Some people in the Aussie PetLink site are asking $150 for red babies (maybe a bit rich?), keep an eye there as well. Home breeders should be cheaper. Let us know - Kathy.

Kathy,
People near us (ips/bris) sell stunning beardies for $80 ea. Yellows that are stunning are a little cheaper.. If we're talking juvis or adults then you would be looking $350-$500 for incredible colours/pattens etc :)

Dave

gulum

Sub-Adult Member
Yay, my new enclosure is coming together. 660mm wide, 1650 long - feels great not to have to use feet :lol:
Im gonna let gummie sit in it soon just for a size up, will post a topic in enclosures today or tommorow.

Hey guys, My name is Cameron and I'm looking at getting my first beardie in a month or so.

I am about to start work on building an enclosure.

I am looking for some tips on the enclosure.

Most I've seen have been glass only on the front, is there much advantage to this? My plan is to have the 2 sides and front glass and pine backing, floor and lid.

What sort of ventilation will I need? And where? Top and bottom? Or one or the other?

It'll be 1.35 meters long by 430cm wide and 930cm high. Is this an ok size for heating and all? All I've seen is american designs and I'm hopeless with conversions.

Anything else I'll need to take into consideration when building it?

This is the frame I'm starting from. I was planning on having the lights hidden from view where the draws would usually be. Will this work ok?
m.jpg

Cheers
Cameron

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Hey Cameron - wow, you're so organised before u get your beardie, great to see! What a great idea, the old cupboard reno. From what I've read, glass losses heat more rapidly than wood, that's why the minimalistic use of it. I didn't know this so have always housed my indoor littlies in what is actually a big aquarium with glass all way round - haven't had any problems. Apart from that can't help much as most of my Beardies are housed outside - sorry. With the lights, are u making it a 2 storey enclosure where they have access to both upstairs & down or will u be removing the middle bit? One of the biggest & most important things I ever learnt was that they need to get close enuf to the UV light (30-60cm) or it's ineffective, so just keep that in mind. If u don't hear much from the others, try searching topics in the main section for your ventilation as there have been some brilliant, easy to follow instructions on enclosure building over the last couple of months. Make sure you post some pics when it's done, would love to see your masterpiece & beardie too. Happy building!! :D

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Guys, there will be a photo thread in photo expressions last page of my new red beardies (there babies so aren't super red though :lol: ) But will be stunning once they get older...

Thanks sunshine, good to know about glass heat loss. I also have a six foot glass aquarium. Was thinking about using this until I get me setup built. But what about ventilation in a glass aquarium? I've had a look around and from what I understand, i just need to leave a piece of the lid off on the cool side. What are your experiences with glass? How'd you go about ventilation?

Cupboard enclosure will be a single story. I'm raising the floor as well as making some false rocks. I found this great tip some where on how to make false rocks out of polistiren and grout. So I'm going to make a rock face and have it go up to within 20cm of the light and right down to the bottom as well. Maybe throw in a cave. We'll see how we go.

I will post some pics as I get time to work on it.
Thanks heaps mate
Cheers
Cameron

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Dave didn't realise u were breeding - how exciting!!! Soon as I type this am off to see your pics!

Cameron - re the glass. Mine has a wood top & 2 half glass pieces that fit in for the aquarium use, so there's actually a big airvent at the back. You know UV can't get through glass?? - 'cause I didn't for a while which is really scary. Sounds fair about leaving the top off the cool side, just be careful with air drafts as that seems to be how most of them get colds, so keep an eye on the temps & where u place it & should be good. I've never had a problem with mine, & seeing as is summer u should be right until you have your masterpiece finished - which I can't wait to see, but spare time's hard to come by hey :( Keep us posted!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom