Ravenna

First of all, English isn't my first language, so excuse me for making mistakes.

We have been breeding two (now three) times. Two times we didn't encounter any serious problems.
But the third time the babies have been totally fine till some time ... They all experience the same spine problems. Deformation of the spine and sometimes also the rips. So, we made sure to give more calcium and a lil higher uvb... Nothing has changed. One of them who is the tallest of them, starts shaking sometimes.
So I'm guessing, its a birth defect, not our cause. I think we had 18 babies and now there are only 10 or 9 left.

The only mistake we made, was breeding those eggs from my one Beardie (Chloe) who was given to me with NO information.
I don't know anything about her, not even age. She was given around between owner to owner like a hot potato, that's all I know.
She had problems with her arm, something was destroying her elbow from the inside. NOT even the vet could tell me what it was. She went through surgery, still couldnt tell me anything. Chloe was fine after surgery, for several months. Then the arm grew a lil thicker again. Girl still looks healthy and "behaves healthy" I mean no sus behavior.

Its the end of the month, I cant go to the vet without having money. Life has been rough here lately.
It seems all the vets here in Germany are not very bright too... At least the ones I've encountered. I have several Beardies, those who we did breed are healthy, the others I adopted or got from a friend are all having some kind of problem. I took the one I got from a friend to the vet, the vet couldnt do anything, but thats another story... Just wanted to tell you, that I haven't had good experiences with vets around here...yet.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post pictures of the breeding pair you are using? What are the genetics of the male?

So you've had three clutches. Two of the clutches grew up fine but this third clutch is having issues? How old is this third clutch?

-Brandon

Ravenna

Original Poster
Can you post pictures of the breeding pair you are using? What are the genetics of the male?

So you've had three clutches. Two of the clutches grew up fine but this third clutch is having issues? How old is this third clutch?

-Brandon
The other clutches were from different parents. Forgot to mention it.
Just wanted to say, that I'm not a beginner, that's why I mentioned the two clutches in the first place.

So there are two male Beardies I have... they don't live in the same enclosure tho. I have several enclosures.
In summer time, they are allowed to go on the balcony to enjoy the sun. Usually I'm always staying there too to watch them. It happened one time tho, that I had to leave the house urgently and I didn't had time to put them back in. So I cannot tell who the father is. My guess would be Milo, he is one of my breed from 1 year and few months ago. Because the second male isn't really behaving like a male at all. I don't think he jumped on Chloe. From the babies Look, I'd also say, it was Milo.

So Milo and Chloe are the parents of the babies.
Milo is the son of a previous male Beardie Lui (who died cus of parasites, vet couldnt help there too) the mother of Milo is one of my mothers Beardies. Kayleigh. My Mom bought her from a private breeder. Lui was a gift from a good friend, but he came from an animal store. Can't really say much at this point.
Luckily, none of them are having problems with parasites, only one Baby (Liam) from the pair Kayleigh and Lui. He's in quarantine, nothing has helped him yet to get rid of those parasites.
I have to look up if I can find good photos of Chloe and Milo. Got all photos on my phone not pc.

The third clutch is ~ december 2023.

Ravenna

Original Poster

-Brandon
Milo in the blanket, Chloe in the gras.

Attachments

• IMG_20230525_095045.jpg
    IMG_20230525_095045.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 42
  • x (405).jpg
    x (405).jpg
    147 KB · Views: 38

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You probably won't get any answers as to the why that specific pairing turned out that way. It's possible the eggs hatched too early, possible the female was too young, or it's possible the female has some major genetic defects that caused the babies to turn out that way.

The only thing that is for sure is you should not breed that female anymore.

-Brandon

Ravenna

Original Poster
You probably won't get any answers as to the why that specific pairing turned out that way. It's possible the eggs hatched too early, possible the female was too young, or it's possible the female has some major genetic defects that caused the babies to turn out that way.

The only thing that is for sure is you should not breed that female anymore.

-Brandon
Yea, you're right.

Never gonna do this again!
Thanks for your answer.

It definitely is interesting (biology) but at the same time awful.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom