when your house is kept at 68 degrees...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Where i live we dont use much heat during the winter to cut costs. And my reptile room temps drop during day and night. To avoid having to change all my bulbs and crank my heat tape on my racks i just use a floor heater on a timer that comes on at night mainly but sometimes during the day which helps keep my ambient room temp around 80 which means i dont need to change bulbs :)

Pravius

Juvie Member
midwestreptiles":74ca3 said:
Where i live we dont use much heat during the winter to cut costs. And my reptile room temps drop during day and night. To avoid having to change all my bulbs and crank my heat tape on my racks i just use a floor heater on a timer that comes on at night mainly but sometimes during the day which helps keep my ambient room temp around 80 which means i dont need to change bulbs :)

Would imagine a floor heater would suck up more electricity then bulbs or cost more then a gas furnace?

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Not really its only on just enough to keep the ambient up. Not all the time. Plus i dont know exactly the type but the one i use is elongated and uses heated coils not the fan type that have a heat coil and a fan that run using way more energy. If you do the math lets say in my case where you have 12 adult cages, 8 juv cages, and 24 hatchling cages roughly and most only require a 50 watt bulb to keep a 110 basking, some use a 75 or 100. Keeping those size bulbs in and using a heater on a timer which only uses maybe a 100 w in short periods VS. Replacing all those bulbs and then having 12 150W bulbs, 24 75W bulbs and 8 or so 100-150 W bulbs. Just add up the Total Watts being used. This method works good for an entire room. If you have a single or stack of cages maybe just changing out the bulbs is better i would say.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Oh well then yea with that many I can see... and wow it would take like an hour just to change out those bulbs!

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Haha yea and not cost effective. with a tank or two i could see just upping the watts. But with a whole room it works great. Same with summer we dont use ac so i just have a nice energy efficient window unit that comes on for 10 minutes here and there to keep my temps down during summer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom