Basking spot size

Mykilleon

Hey everyone! I have a question about your basking spots.

When you measure the temperature, are you measuring it right in the center of your light beam, or off to the side? How quickly does the temperature change as you move away from the center of the beam?

I can easily get my basking spot to 105 degrees or higher in the hottest point, but it is in the high 90s if I probe the probe just 6 inches away for 20 minutes or so. When folks say that a basking spot needs to be 98-105, does that mean that it should be 105 in the hottest spot and at least 98 in the whole area where the dragon will sit?

To sum up, does the basking spot need to be at its highest temperature over the entire body of the lizard, or is a gradient okay too? I see a lot of setups with a single heat lamp and I have to imagine that most of them have the same situation that I do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone! I have a question about your basking spots.

When you measure the temperature, are you measuring it right in the center of your light beam, or off to the side? How quickly does the temperature change as you move away from the center of the beam?

I can easily get my basking spot to 105 degrees or higher in the hottest point, but it is in the high 90s if I probe the probe just 6 inches away for 20 minutes or so. When folks say that a basking spot needs to be 98-105, does that mean that it should be 105 in the hottest spot and at least 98 in the whole area where the dragon will sit?

To sum up, does the basking spot need to be at its highest temperature over the entire body of the lizard, or is a gradient okay too? I see a lot of setups with a single heat lamp and I have to imagine that most of them have the same situation that I do.
Surface basking spot 95-100- take the temp directly under the lamp where he sits- if it's too hot he will sit off to the side-

Mykilleon

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie!

So just to clarify–I do not need to worry about having it exactly 100° over an entire foot or more, is that right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks Karrie!

So just to clarify–I do not need to worry about having it exactly 100° over an entire foot or more, is that right?
No - you can have a range of 95-100- that area should be around 100 or high 90's

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom