What are mites???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that Phoenix had a black dot on her today, and it was moving and squashed it!
Havent seen any since? Do u think this was a mite? What do I need to do?

1happymommy

Juvie Member
I have never seen them but my vet said to look under there armpit and it you will see a orange color. I guess the mites like it under there.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
There are many varieties of mites they are everywhere.
They do not swim though so one of the best ways to see if Phoenix has them if your not able to see the microscopic things crawling on your beardie is to give em a bath the mites will drowned and then you can see them floating at the top of the water. If Phoenix does have them then you will need to disinfect the viv and bath daily. They also sell a mite spray for reptiles which I bought when I got my first beardie because he had mites. After only one application they were gone but the key is to rid the viv of them.

LauraandLee

Original Poster
Thank you
Did bath her today but she pooed so not sur if they were mites in the water.
Where did u get ur reptile spray, do I use that on her or just on viv?
thanks again

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
This is the product that I found;
100_6591.jpg

It contains no pyrethrins which are harmful. This is safe to use directly on your beardie.
But you do not want to get it in their eyes. Or saturate them just put some on a soft cloth and wipe your beardie down. You can use it on the viv but I found that a good thorough washing and boiling/baking of beardie furniture works very well.
Here's a link but you can also purchase it at most pet store if your unable to wait for an online order to be delivered.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-17496

LauraandLee

Original Poster
UPDATE - I noticed this afternoon that Phoenix had black specs by her eyes they were moving I am now 99% sure that its mites, I have throw most of the deceroations away, try to bake the wooden hut but it ended up burnt so that dont work nearly called 999 lol.
Disinfected the viv with reptile spray (thats all I have a the moment), and bathed her using warm water and a tooth brush. Eyes were the problem so I used cotton buds (didnt know wot else too do) seemed to work. Im gutted only just bought her a wk ago see other post!!!

LauraandLee

Original Poster
UPDATE- went to vets couple wks ago was mities had to chuck everything in viv out, and got mite spray we have been using it every 3 days and the mites seem to have gone!!! Gonna carry on using the spary for a mth just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom