Beardie possibly sick

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
Recently my bearded dragon, Phoenix. Has started having issues. I noticed in his enclosure that there was like a brown liquid and he had a black beard so I picked him up. He ended up pooping on me but it was the same brown almost black stuff with a little bit of normal poop. then he pooped the same stuff again in the bath. then the next day it was completely normal so I figured he had just eaten something he shouldn't have. But now today he pooped in his enclosure again and it was the same brown almost black stuff and when I cleaned it up he seemed like he got upset and came to where I was cleaning and his head shook/vibrated slightly? I've never seen him do that. And now his eyes and tongue look way whiter than usual. He's also acting just generally different. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Now his poo has red in it

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_002121480.jpg
    PXL_20240112_002121480.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240112_001853519.jpg
    PXL_20240112_001853519.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20240112_001902244.TS~2.mp4
    9.2 MB
  • PXL_20240112_063015216.jpg
    PXL_20240112_063015216.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Recently my bearded dragon, Phoenix. Has started having issues. I noticed in his enclosure that there was like a brown liquid and he had a black beard so I picked him up. He ended up pooping on me but it was the same brown almost black stuff with a little bit of normal poop. then he pooped the same stuff again in the bath. then the next day it was completely normal so I figured he had just eaten something he shouldn't have. But now today he pooped in his enclosure again and it was the same brown almost black stuff and when I cleaned it up he seemed like he got upset and came to where I was cleaning and his head shook/vibrated slightly? I've never seen him do that. And now his eyes and tongue look way whiter than usual. He's also acting just generally different. Anyone know what's going on?
Black beard is distress or pain I am thinking distress --- please go over the diet your feeding - his surface basking temps NO stick ons please and UVB a coil or long tube fixture ? How old is the long tube bulb if your using that and where is it in the tank ? We need to start ruling things out

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Black beard is distress or pain
Or hormones.

Based on the pictures alone, he does not appear to be sickly. A sickly blackbeard is typically seen with lethargy, he looks very alert.
he got upset and came to where I was cleaning and his head shook/vibrated slightly?
Also likely hormones. How old is your guy?

I wouldn't be too concerned. A one off odd poo isn't of any concern. Just like us, beardies can have bad days too.

If his poo's are typically normal, I wouldn't concern yourself with the behavior. But it's always a good reminder to us to make sure our husbandry is up to par.

-Brandon

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
Black beard is distress or pain I am thinking distress --- please go over the diet your feeding - his surface basking temps NO stick ons please and UVB a coil or long tube fixture ? How old is the long tube bulb if your using that and where is it in the tank ? We need to start ruling things out
He gets fed dubia roaches that are dusted with herpavite multivitamin x2 a week and the rest of the week is with calcium powder (still trying to work out a feeding schedule) his basking temps have all been set to the correct temps and his uvb is a long tube fixture that is typically long enough to span his entire 4x2x2 enclosure but it broke recently so we've had to use a spare 22 inch uvb until a new one arrives. It's set up inside at the top of his enclosure almost in the middle since that's where he usually is.

Moxxie1122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Moxxie
Or hormones.

Based on the pictures alone, he does not appear to be sickly. A sickly blackbeard is typically seen with lethargy, he looks very alert.

Also likely hormones. How old is your guy?

I wouldn't be too concerned. A one off odd poo isn't of any concern. Just like us, beardies can have bad days too.

If his poo's are typically normal, I wouldn't concern yourself with the behavior. But it's always a good reminder to us to make sure our husbandry is up to par.

-Brandon
He looks worse in real life since my camera automatically edits the photos for some reason. His mouth and tongue are very white and he's had his blackbeard all day now. He's gonna be two in April :) I usually wouldn't be concerned but it's been about 4/5 odd poos now and he's acting very weird. Like not responding to us petting him or being near him which he usually does.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hopefully the black beard is just hormones. Just how pale is his tongue, can you try to get a picture of
that if possible?
You could try getting some fluids into him, using a plastic dropper or syringe for now.
Keep him little warmer overnight, too since he might not be feeling well. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom