Mites in mouth folds, eye folds

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
So, I think Thor got mites from me taking him outside. I don't see any on his body, but I got about 7 off his eye creases, and just a whole bunch from his mouth creases. He's been brumating for a couple month now, and he just woke up a couple days ago. He hasn't been outside since August and I never noticed any before brumation, so that means those little buggers have been feeding off him for months now, and I need to get rid of them.

I am gonna try to get him in to the vet Tuesday, but is there anything other than medication that I can do to get rid of them?

Also, can they live on cats and hamsters? I haven't seen any on Puff Hammy, and my two cats are black so I wouldn't be able to see them anyway.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So, I think Thor got mites from me taking him outside. I don't see any on his body, but I got about 7 off his eye creases, and just a whole bunch from his mouth creases. He's been brumating for a couple month now, and he just woke up a couple days ago. He hasn't been outside since August and I never noticed any before brumation, so that means those little buggers have been feeding off him for months now, and I need to get rid of them.

I am gonna try to get him in to the vet Tuesday, but is there anything other than medication that I can do to get rid of them?

Also, can they live on cats and hamsters? I haven't seen any on Puff Hammy, and my two cats are black so I wouldn't be able to see them anyway.
Not sure about this topic so I am flagging to AHBD she can help you here
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
My reptiles have never had mites and I don't know much more than what you can find by Googling. Sorry I can't be of more help. Thankfully you seem to have just a very small amount which so far wouldn't be harmful, hopefully they aren't reproducing in the tank.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they start breeding on your cats or in the tank, it will be very difficult to ever completely get rid of them. Make sure you are cleaning the tank thoroughly every day or every other day until the mite issue is cleared.

You can try daily bathes with a very small amount of dawn dishsoap in the bath. Don't let the dragon drink this water, but it will be safe for the skin and gentle enough on the eyes. A rinse with clean water after to remove any residual soap.

-Brandon

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If they start breeding on your cats or in the tank, it will be very difficult to ever completely get rid of them. Make sure you are cleaning the tank thoroughly every day or every other day until the mite issue is cleared.

You can try daily bathes with a very small amount of dawn dishsoap in the bath. Don't let the dragon drink this water, but it will be safe for the skin and gentle enough on the eyes. A rinse with clean water after to remove any residual soap.

-Brandon
But that won't alleviate the mites in his mouth, right? I may have to get rude with him lol

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They aren't living inside his mouth, probably just around his lips. And the soap bath will help with that. Any you see in his mouth likely just migrated there temporarily and aren't actually staying there. That's why getting rid of mites is a process, it's not a one and done type of thing.

-Brandon

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They aren't living inside his mouth, probably just around his lips. And the soap bath will help with that. Any you see in his mouth likely just migrated there temporarily and aren't actually staying there. That's why getting rid of mites is a process, it's not a one and done type of thing.

-Brandon
Yeah, they're way up in the fold at the corner of his mouth.

Also, what you're saying is, they can indeed live on other animals, just not humans, correct? So I should treat my cats too. And somehow, my hamster.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you see them on your cats or other pets, definitely. But hopefully it's just confined to your dragon and his enclosure.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom