Unsolicited Adds!!! :0

Status
Not open for further replies.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
What the heck is going on with all these adds!? I've reported 4 already and yesterday I reported 2 in the same post! :shock: Is anyone else seeing this or do I just stumble across them? It's really starting to annoy me :angry5:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We know these are annoying and there have been quite a few lately. The moderators are taking care of them as fast as we can by deactivating the accounts. We do appreciate members reporting them in case we don't run across them on our own. We appreciate your help and patience.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
diamc":2yq2nr38 said:
We know these are annoying and there have been quite a few lately. The moderators are taking care of them as fast as we can by deactivating the accounts. We do appreciate members reporting them in case we don't run across them on our own. We appreciate your help and patience.
The Mods are doing a wonderful job. Honestly. I just wish there was more we could do. *sigh* people can be so darn inconsiderate! :banghead:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Like perhaps not allowing new accounts to hyperlink until they have 50 posts or more.

-Brandon

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
claudiusx":31e2uumx said:
Like perhaps not allowing new accounts to hyperlink until they have 50 posts or more.
What does hyperlink mean? I'm not very good with computers. LOL! :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's the links they are posting hoping you will click on to take them to the website they are trying to spam.

Like this: FREE MONEY

EDIT: Dont worry, the link just takes you to google, was just an example :mrgreen:

-Brandon

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you Brandon. In that case I agree whole heartedly. Earn the right to hyperlink. It makes sense to me :D

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I don't think the forum software has support for enabling links for users like that. I can check. It would be a helpful solution.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I just checked the permission options. I don't think it has support for doing that with the URL tag. Oddly, it does have that for the IMG tag. annoying to not be more versatile.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agreed. It's been especially bad the past week or two. It's like they KNEW you went on vacation lol :twisted:

-Brandon

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Are the accounts coming from one country or range of IPs? You could search your user database and see if there are any IP's within that range, if not do a range ban. What about image verification for new accounts? I thought the phpBB team was working to incorporate that at some point.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Some are. I have wide swaths of IP bans at the server level. In some of the recent instances it has been new blocks of IPs allocated to countries I'd already blocked. More blocks of this nature will be coming when I have a chance (been on vacation, then getting oriented after my return, then sick, and now have some big day-job stuff going on). Hopefully, soon, things will be back to normal.

Kajolic

Juvie Member
May I ask what version of phpBB these boards are using? (rhetorical I suppose, wouldn't want to posted publicly, this is why they removed it from the bottom of the page to prevent version specific attacks) I only ask because I could have sworn 3.0.6 and after than a feature to spam control either by Admin UC or via minimum post count User Groups a member automatically joins once they reached the set post count and then that would enable posting of URLs.
Might dust off my spare computer and load up the web sever again and see. It's been a long time since, but I still follow the phpBB build notes every now and then.

Something worth browsing if you haven't already: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modifications/anti%96spam-9

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
We're on the latest version (well, actually, a new update JUST came out I still need to apply). Yes, the feature that moves someone into a different group after a certain number of posts does exist. The problem is that I don't want to block people from being able to post altogether. I can setup other controls, however there is no control that limits just the ability to use the "URL" tag. I wish there was, as this would limit the ability to post a link and virtually eliminate spam's motivation. They have controls for a few other tags, which is why I do not understand why URL isn't one of the key ones they provide specific controls for. Most of the spam control features exist, but spammers are constantly finding ways around them in an automated fashion (usually all bots).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom