Impaction

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello, I'm trying to figure out when impaction has occurred and when a vet visit is needed. Our beardie Errtu has been trying to brumate for the past 4 months but we've been preventing it because of his age at the time and just getting over a high parasite count. He eats very little now and has only had bm every 10 days or so but now we are on day 17 and he hasn't gone feels bloated and appears to be in pain because he doesn't want to move. 2 days ago I started giving him stage 1 pumpkin baby food. No luck. Yesterday the same with a little olive oil mixed in and a warm bath with no luck. I work 3rd shift and it is 5am here so I'm looking for suggestions for today. We still make sure he basks and everything. He likes being out of the enclosure more than sleeping but if he us put in and sees he's not going to be taken right out he will hide and sleep. Basically I need to know when this is an issue thst needs to be addressed by a vet. All he eats now idms a few superworms a week so I can get calcium in him dusted on them. They are the only bugs he will eat now. Oh yea yesterday he also had 2 large hornworms that I injected with olive oil. Thanks in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With age, it's not uncommon for them to go 2-3 weeks in between BMs, especially if they are eating so little. You can't pass what isn't coming into the body. Also, if he is trying to brumate, his whole system is going to be slow. It's hard, but a lot of times, we have to realize that sometimes they know better than us; if Errtu wants to brumate, he probably has a good reason for it. I don't agree with the semi-common practice of preventing brumation, except in very specific circumstances.

That being said, two large hornworms should help move things along.

To directly answer your question, impaction becomes an issue that might potentially require a vet if it gets to a point where the dragon isn't able to move its back legs, or is blackbearding and obviously in distress.

-Brandon

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
With age, it's not uncommon for them to go 2-3 weeks in between BMs, especially if they are eating so little. You can't pass what isn't coming into the body. Also, if he is trying to brumate, his whole system is going to be slow. It's hard, but a lot of times, we have to realize that sometimes they know better than us; if Errtu wants to brumate, he probably has a good reason for it. I don't agree with the semi-common practice of preventing brumation, except in very specific circumstances.

That being said, two large hornworms should help move things along.

To directly answer your question, impaction becomes an issue that might potentially require a vet if it gets to a point where the dragon isn't able to move its back legs, or is blackbearding and obviously in distress.

-Brandon
Ok great. Thank you for that clarification. If it gets to the point where he can't move his back legs I'm assuming that is temporary? I wouldn't be so concerned with how long it's been it's the way he's acting like it hurts to move and he feels bloated most of the time.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it gets to the point where he can't move his back legs I'm assuming that is temporary?
Typically. It would be from pressure on the spinal cord from the mass not being able to pass. The goal of course is for it to not get to that point, but I imagine with the recent large meal that he will be passing you a gift sometime soon :)

-Brandon

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Typically. It would be from pressure on the spinal cord from the mass not being able to pass. The goal of course is for it to not get to that point, but I imagine with the recent large meal that he will be passing you a gift sometime soon :)

-Brandon
I really hope so. I gave him pumpkin 3 days ago now as well. We shall see this morning or today. Thanks!

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron

-Brandon
I just gave him another bath and he went. His urates have been rock hard I think that may indicate dehydration right?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His urates have been rock hard I think that may indicate dehydration right?
It's common for the urate to be very hard when it's been in the body for so long. The longer between BM's, the more common for the urate to be hard and discolored. It sounds like he's been getting a lot of extra hydration lately from you trying to get him to poo anyways. :)

-Brandon

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
It's common for the urate to be very hard when it's been in the body for so long. The longer between BM's, the more common for the urate to be hard and discolored. It sounds like he's been getting a lot of extra hydration lately from you trying to get him to poo anyways. :)

-Brandon
Ok. Thank you very much. I thought that may be the case.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is such a common occurrence, especially when they have been slown down or brumating, etc. Extra oral fluids can really help out.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom