Is anyone else seeing improper or at least questionable feeding and weight charts becoming popular ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've been seeing weight charts pop up that claim that a 1 month old dragon should weigh 4 grams, a 9 inch dragon 20 grams and a 24" dragon should weigh 400-550 grams. Also people are passing around info saying that a baby-juvenile dragon needs only 4-6 insects per day. Has anyone else come across this ? See what you find when you search those topics online. I know that it's best for beardies not to grow too fast or to be stuffed at every meal but what I'm reading is alarming.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I've been seeing weight charts pop up that claim that a 1 month old dragon should weigh 4 grams, a 9 inch dragon 20 grams and a 24" dragon should weigh 400-550 grams. Also people are passing around info saying that a baby-juvenile dragon needs only 4-6 insects per day. Has anyone else come across this ? See what you find when you search those topics online. I know that it's best for beardies not to grow too fast or to be stuffed at every meal but what I'm reading is alarming.
I haven't looked- but will keep an eye out when reading post

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
So far it's not on this forum but on Facebook groups and Reddit claiming that the latest info comes from one of the top beardie vets.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree. I commented in another post. My dragons will be fed enough to not be hungry especially babies. When the supposed expert doctor follows every beardie around 24 hours a day 7 days a week and never takes his eyes off them, then maybe I'll consider him knowledgeable enough to suggest how to feed them. Until then this community knows more

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hmmm I haven't seen that but I've definitely seen it on YouTube, FaceBook, and other apps.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Another thing is that no one is tracking a clutch of baby beardies in the wild and I don't think the researchers have hatched multiple babies [ if any ] and fed them this way from the time they emerge from the egg. Many of us here have done that. A 3-4 week old dragon is not going to thrive on 4-6 tiny crickets a day. An adult dragon CAN thrive on those few insects a day but of course the insects are much larger and the dragon is no longer growing.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Another thing is that no one is tracking a clutch of baby beardies in the wild and I don't think the researchers have hatched multiple babies [ if any ] and fed them this way from the time they emerge from the egg. Many of us here have done that. A 3-4 week old dragon is not going to thrive on 4-6 tiny crickets a day. An adult dragon CAN thrive on those few insects a day but of course the insects are much larger and the dragon is no longer growing.
100%. I see many people hatch bearded dragon eggs and feed them once every other day when you're supposed to give them food everyday since they are growing meanwhile If they're adults, they can be fed once every other day since they're not growing anymore.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
That's terrible and if they're housed together as most are ,split up to about 4-6 at first, they will then begin to eat the clutchmates toes + tails. As a side note they usually don't eat for up to 4 days after hatching but some will eat on day 2-3..

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yup, thats was kind of the point i beat all the way around without actually making lol. These "doctors" very lively have zero experience actually keeping beardies. I bet if added up there are hundreds of years experience with the folks here.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That's terrible and if they're housed together as most are ,split up to about 4-6 at first, they will then begin to eat the clutchmates toes + tails. As a side note they usually don't eat for up to 4 days after hatching but some will eat on day 2-3..
Is it because they are still carrying the egg yolk? (I've got my intended breeders, but they seem to have other intentions atm lol)

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Is it because they are still carrying the egg yolk? (I've got my intended breeders, but they seem to have other intentions atm lol)
I think so-- I'm not an expert at that yet but I have hatched some dragon eggs that my friends would ask if I can take some of them but I've never figured out why they don't eat for the first 2-4 days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie's hatching tax.
1697818573742.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom