Thermostats

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a Herpstat2 but that may be tougher to find in the UK. I recommend using a dimming thermostat with two outlets so you can keep separate control of cool and warm ends (and use a ceramic heat emitter to control overnight temps as needed). Something like a Microclimate Evo or Prime2. I've heard good things about that Habistats too. Swell Reptiles carries them.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What sort of heat source are you using?

A dimming stat is best for lights where a pulse or on/off will work for CHEs and heat panels. The selection in the UK is a bit better than here as cooper mentions.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's a good point. I like using one that handles both so I can run both a halogen flood for the basking area and a heat projector/CHE for the cool side & nighttime. That's why I like having a model that can handle two separate controls.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you all. Its to regulate my basking area so just for the basking bulb. Im going to go for the habistat dimmer, i think.

This will hopefully sort out the daytime temps.

Night temps arnt goin to be a problem hopefully xx

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thermostat has arrived. I just wanted to ask wheres best to place the probe? Im trying to control the basking temps so id say place it in the basking spot right?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Right on the basking surface. If you have two, put one on a surface of the cool side. I used zip ties and sticky zip tie anchors to run the probes down the back of the tank to the floor then ran the probes onto the basking surface. They stay put in my setup but you may need to zip tie them down depending on where you mount them.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Great so i have the probe on the basking spot and i also have the temp probe in the same place which is giving me the reading.

Its odd as i set the thermostat at 39 but the temp was climbing up above 41 according to the temp reader. I turned the thermostat down to 33 an the temp prob is now reading 37.7

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It usually controls the temps within a programmable range. I set mine to stay between 99 and 103f in the basking area. It may also take quite a while for the probe to get an accurate reading (half hour or more).

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Im a little confused as mine is controlled by a little dial that i turn to set the temp so at the mo its poing to 33c. How come my temp prob that ive had in the viv all along is reading higher at 37.7. ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That I'm not sure of. Which model did you wind up getting? I'll do some digging and find out how it's supposed to work. It may just have a built in tolerance of a few degrees either way or there may be a way to set it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom