How big of a basking light?

Kassgnelson143

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Hello,
I am new to owning a beardie but we recently purchased one and she is in a 120 gallon tank. I have noticed that the basking light I have does not get it hot enough on her warm side. It’s only 85 degrees. How big and what type of light do I need for a tank this big to get it up to temperature?
Thanks!

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Hello,
I am new to owning a beardie but we recently purchased one and she is in a 120 gallon tank. I have noticed that the basking light I have does not get it hot enough on her warm side. It’s only 85 degrees. How big and what type of light do I need for a tank this big to get it up to temperature?
Thanks!
Most time you need a 150W bulbs The flukers is good for that. Just get a bulb that fits the hood and fits the hood wattage. The picture below is mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 54

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
Thanks!
You need a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps - place the probe directly under the lamp where he sits for basking 10 minutes or so get the temp

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
it is going to depend on what type of top your enclosure has too. i have a solid top so only require a 50 W to reach proper basking temps. but as karrieree mentioned, you really need a digital probe thermometer to determine your temps. dial/analogs are inaccurate at best, and IR guns can be off depending on what material you are reading the temp off of.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
it is going to depend on what type of top your enclosure has too. i have a solid top so only require a 50 W to reach proper basking temps. but as karrieree mentioned, you really need a digital probe thermometer to determine your temps. dial/analogs are inaccurate at best, and IR guns can be off depending on what material you are reading the temp off of.
I have an open top and still need a 100W lol but seriously it depends on so much

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom